• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Meet Mamayev - The Level Designer edition of What we are up to!

This looks great,,,,,A real eye opener for me with Soviet losses in 1-2 days in September ~10,000 ,,,
Battle:
When forces of the German 6th Army launched their attack against the city centre of Stalingrad on 13 September 1942, Mamayev Kurgan (appearing in military maps as "Height 103.0") saw particularly fierce fighting between the German attackers and the defending soldiers of the Soviet 62nd Army. Control of the hill became vitally important, as it offered control over the city. To defend it, the Soviets had built strong defensive lines on the slopes of the hill, including trenches, barbed-wire and minefields. The Germans pushed forward against the hill, taking heavy casualties. When they finally captured the hill, they started firing on the city centre, as well as on the railway station Stalingrad-1 under the hill. They captured the railway station on 14 September.

On the same day, the Soviet 13th Guards Rifle Division commanded by Alexander Rodimtsev arrived in the city from across the river Volga under heavy German artillery fire. The division's 10,000 men immediately rushed into the bloody battle. On 16 September they recaptured Mamayev Kurgan and kept fighting for the railway station, taking heavy losses. By the following day, almost all of them had died. The Soviets kept reinforcing their units in the city as fast as they could. The Germans assaulted up to twelve times a day, and the Soviets would respond with fierce counter-attacks.

The hill changed hands several times. By 27 September 1942, the Germans had again captured half of Mamayev Kurgan. The Soviets held their own positions on the slopes of the hill, as the 284th Rifle Division desperately defended the key stronghold. The defenders held out until 26 January 1943, when the Soviet winter offensive relieved them, trapping and destroying the German forces inside Stalingrad.

When the battle ended, the blood-soaked soil on the hill had been so thoroughly churned by shellfire and mixed with metal fragments that the soil contained between 500 and 1,250 splinters of metal per square meter. The earth on the hill had remained black in the winter, as the snow kept melting in the many fires and explosions. In the following spring the hill would still remain black, as no grass grew on its scorched soil. The hill's formerly steep slopes had become flattened in months of intense shelling and bombardment. Even today, it is possible to find fragments of bone and metal still buried deep throughout the hill.

Source: http://en.worldpoi.info/poi/778/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We're actually experimenting with a different type of Territory mode for this map. I won't go into detail because we may not release it this way, but you're likely to see it in the beta.

I'd be up for a new Territory mode if it makes it through testing. Would be good for variety, can also release two versions of the map for regular territory and the new territory.

Upvote 0
I look forward to non-tank maps. I don't know what it is but I loved combined in ROOST but hate in RO2 =(=(=(=(=(=(. Perhaps since tanks in RO2 generally only go for spawn kill. At least when I played ^^.

Yeah, I think it's partly about the maps, and partly about the issues with tanks - the latter of which is largely addressed by Ducky's awesome mutator :)

I'd really like to see more CA maps - after all, server owners can disable tanks if they prefer it that way. When a map allows tanks to be used properly, it *should* result in tanks being used properly :) At least that's the theory...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think it's partly about the maps, and partly about the issues with tanks - the latter of which is largely addressed by Ducky's awesome mutator :)

I'd really like to see more CA maps - after all, server owners can disable tanks if they prefer it that way. When a map allows tanks to be used properly, it *should* result in tanks being used properly :) At least that's the theory...

Exactly, throw the tankers of this world a few crumbs, give us a map that we can play as well.
Im happy that this new map is in the making and it does look good,but being a treadhead i just won't play it that often.
The spawnkilling mg bots can be nullified by server admins using Ducky's mutator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There should be an easter egg where you can get into a tomb under the hill containing Mamai, and you'll hear ghostly throat-singing or something. :D

Mamay was actually buried in Crimea, so the name is fanciful.

In Russian there is a saying "как Мамай прошел" (kak ma-MY prah-SHOL) - which means, "It's a complete mess/clusterf***" (lit. 'Like Mamay went this way')

True story

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played this a bit and it really does have more of a ROOST feeling to it. Obviously an early beta as alot of textures are missing.

Just a few quick intitial comments:

Trenches are narrow and there is a higher chance of not being able to go prone because of that (cannot prone here). Takes more of a concious effort to line yourself up.

Like the night map, although personally for me I would turn down the lighting just a bit. It is still very very easy to see everyone. But I do understand my preference would bother alot of other people.

The flak firing into the sky is a really nice touch :p

Upvote 0