• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Meet Mamayev - The Level Designer edition of What we are up to!

Ah, Mamayev Kurgan... being such an iconic part of the battle of Stalingrad I knew you guys were working on a rendition of it sooner or later. Looks great but I envisioned it as the tactical mound of dirt during the summer/early fall as others have stated.

I also would love to see Stalingrad Kessel and Kransy Oktyabr remade/re-visioned in Heroes of Stalingrad. Surely if you did so for Danzig (Apartments) then you can accomodate the Osfront maps that were actually based on Stalingrad itself.

Please. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the last few editions of the "What we are up to" blog we've gone over "RO Classic" and touched briefly on other additions coming to the game in 2012. Today we would like to let you explore what is slated to be the first new map, Mamayev!

This is very good news!
In this map, well placed HMGs will eventually be of some use.
One thing: as the hill changed hands several times in the real war, maybe we could have both "Germany Attack" and "USSR Attack" versions. This way, also, nobody will compain about the map being unbalanced :)

Maraz

Upvote 0
As I actually placed a memorial bouquet there on my wedding day that place means a lot to me.

Yeah marriage can be a battle and a warlike struggle sometimes.

Great news as the game needs new maps.

What I miss in the present package and hope its in the work for this level, but it might be a good suggestion iff not, are two or three ruined trench models.

As now the trenches are all intact while its not unlikely that a trench would have a direct hit and loose that nice formed slope. It would sure contribute to the atmospere.

I tried to get that effect with terrain and the present trench models but it didn't passed my art department.

Anyway thumbs up.

Upvote 0
my_body_is_ready.png

cant wait :IS2:

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with snow maps... it's just that we have so many of them already. Commissar's House, Red October, Fallen Fighters, and Gumrak are all maps fought after the encirclement.

The Kessel portion of the battle should get plenty of attention in a game on Stalingrad, but if you're going to feature a map on Mamayev Kurgan, why have players fighting on that blasted height when the issue is already decided? It's far more dramatic to place the map earlier during the fall, when the hill is still a meatgrinder, fought over by Germans desperate to take it and Russians resolutely holding on.

Regardless, it sounds as though the map's gameplay will be a fresh new change and the map is a welcome addition! The terrain, scenery, and layout look gorgeous. :)

Reactions: Keyser_Söze
Upvote 0
How I see/classify maps:

1) Attack or defend maps:

• Apartments
            • Commissar's House
            • Grain Elevator
            • Red October Factory
            • Spartanovka
            • Station
2) Neutral objectives maps:
2a) Mirror maps (both teams have the same kind of cap-zones to defend/attack)

• Barracks
        • Fallen Fighters
        • Gumrak
2b) Non-mirror maps (on Pavlov's Allies get as neutral objective a buiding and Axis gets an "open area")

• Pavlov's House

Where should I place this, Yoshiro ?

Upvote 0