• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2: State of the Game

I am still very satisfied with this game. It`s a great successor of ROost.
ROost had his time, the last year there were about 3 servers to play.
Darkest hour none. I was the last of the mohenicans.

I don`t understand that many people are writing ROost was great, why
didn`t they play it anymore?

RO2 is the future, i am trusted that Tripwire will be ironed all the burgs etc
as in the past. The modders will make more maps etc, maybe that i will
make one because i am the whole day at home because i am rejected for work.

Upvote 0
i re-bought the game today.... my new pc (i7-2600k, 8gb ram, gtx 580) i get solid 70fps min to 100fps max @ ultra settings
I enjoyed the beta but my old pc (q9550, 4gb ram, ati5850) i get 20-40 fps @ high settings :(

Finally i can play this great game, i hope twi fix other bugs and i can't wait for dlcs and coop :DD

gogo tripwire

Upvote 0
To anyone: Always a good idea to also state what resolution you are trying to run... :p

That said, I am running a Q6600 OC to 3.0 with a 8800GT on high and average 30-45 fps at 1920 x 1080 (no AA), smooth with no real stuttering and very happy about it.

Mr Hello should be able to at least do the same unless he is trying to run everything on Ultra with higher settings, etc and higher resolution. The processor will be a bit of a bottleneck in that case I believe.

Edit: but yes, that i5 is sweet, I put that in my son's computer that I built a few months ago :D

Thanks for the tip, I'll put my settings in my signature.

Upvote 0
I'm one of those who had no problems whatsoever with the game. Statsbug of course and I think 2 or 3 crashes but that's it. And it has been fixed. Within a few weeks. So, although I was a little disappointed with the content, especially compared to ROOst, I still love this game.
I'm missing a few Maps and of course all the vehicles (2 instead of 12 is quite a setback!), but the game itself is great. Thanks again TWI and thanks for all the content that is coming. I can't wait for more maps to play on and any of the following: Panzer II, T-26, Panzer III, T-70 Panzer IV D or F1 and KV-1. :D

Although it feels a little "softer" than the original, it still manages to deliver the same feeling and is much more realistic and good looking than the next best WW2 shooter. It perfectly manages to keep that team-vs-team shooter feeling in line with realistic weaponry and environments, without becoming overly complex, stiff or megalomaniac like ArmA2*.

I've played the open BF3 Beta and it is the first Battlefield game I don't care about. Surprisingly it was the other way round with ROHoS. I knew it was coming, but forget about it some time in between and just found out about again a few days before the release. I bought it - just as I did with RoOst - out of a gut feel and jist like ROOst love it.
Maybe it's because I wasn't hyped for months prior to release that I'm not disappointed at all.

Those complaining about the cover system and how everything is different from ROOst should just change their ways and adjust. It's simply not the same game. Of course it sucks that you become a sitting duck setting up your LMG in a window and the cover system got me killed a few times as well, but over all it works out. There are still plenty of opportunities to survive and kill without the cover system.

What really annoyed me the other day however was, that you can't stop reloading and switch to iron sights. It's blocked, as long as your avatar reloads the rifle, Fritz/Ivan approaching or not. Laying around somewhere, seeing the enemy approaching but unable to do anything about it, because you still have 2 bullets to fit in your mag, you have to die. For nothing. It's neither the player's fault for being to slow nor the enemies great tactic to have spotted you just this second, it's just stupid. I suppose it might have something to do with the other weapons or that it might cause exploits/bugs if you could stop reloading to shoot, but still...

However, I think what bugs me most about the game, apart from missing vehicles and maps, are the fictional weapons. Fictional in that they just weren't around in the numbers represented ingame. It's not even that I think they are too strong, I just hate seeing them in otherwise historically quite accurate designed environments.

:IS2: Nonetheless I love this game, thanks TWI. :IS2:

*great game as well, but talk about performance issues...

Upvote 0
They say they can't reproduce these results but they don't seem to be asking for any info from us to help reproduce them. Then again Ive been so pissed and disappointed maybe I missed a thread where they are communicating clearly and regularly with their community.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. There is a stickied thread in which they ask for logfiles of players that are having performance issues.
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=61789

On top of that Ramm even said, that he'd offer financial compensation to guys willing to send in computers on which they have issues so that TWI can check it in house.

Reactions: Mike_Nomad
Upvote 0
I don't know what happened to this game but I can't take anymore. <SNIP> I forced myself to play for a substantial amount of time. This game has incredible potential but I am extremely disappointed that it was released in this state. <SNIP> The stats issue was just embarrassing, not to mention the other huge bugs that countless people have complained about. <SNIP> I hate to say it, but I regret purchasing this game. After seeing what Tripwire considers to be a game acceptable for release, I will definitely refrain from purchasing any more Tripwire titles in the future. I'll check back in a few months after a few more patches and mods are released.

Good Luck.

=VvV=Locust

First I'd like to say please be patient, but I'm not going to say that. You're right. Here we are going on one month since release and the critical bugs remain unfixed.. Instead they wasted time on some massive patch which fixed none of the most common critical areas which involve actually getting the game to run properly.

On your second point about the stats issue, it wasn't only embarrassing.. It was a horrible idea.. This was supposed to be RO2 not BF2.. This whole obsession with stat and level role-playing does nothing but unbalance game play in a number of ways, and turns off people from the game rather quickly.

And finally your point about acceptable game releases, couldn't be closer to the truth. I've been a fan of Tripwire since the early days of RO1, And so I pre-purchased RO2 when it was first offered on STEAM. Of course I did not worry about any of the bugs in beta.. because that's what betas are for, a chance for us, the fans to actually help stress test the game to ensure the final release will work properly for the most part. But one month after final release, many of us are still be frustrated by the same existing bugs hindering game play- even after a massive patch which I still don't see what it fixed. I really don't know what to say, other than I will not be pre-purchasing anything from Tripwire in the future.. nor will I purchase anything from them on release day.. I'm now all the more wiser, and will take a wait and see attitude for a few months before purchasing.

I do hope they get all of this ironed out, because on the basis of game engines they do have the right concept for the most part. But you only get so many chances to get it right before people remove it from their hard drives and categorize their experience with it, under "Unpleasant Memories"

CV

Reactions: Dumba [cro]
Upvote 0
@CV

You might want to tell us about all the bugs you've come along today/yesterday/the day before. After the last patch, I haven't met any bugs except the hit detection feeling somehow awkward once in a while.

I still have problems with the performance and I hate the class-loadouts and some of the design choices, but BUGS, I haven't seen too many for a while.

Upvote 0
Sensemann has a point; the recent swath of minor and one major (size-wise) patch have cleaned up a good number of the genuine bugs, including perhaps one of the most irksome – the non-fire on the first shot. Performance is still a big issue but I remain hopeful that can be ironed out soon enough. Everything else that leaves me feeling rather under-whelmed about the game comes from design choices - perma-stats, fantasy weapons/loadouts, the McTank model, etc – and such things aren’t on anyone’s To Do list at TWI to address as far as I’ve read, so we can only pray that the game provides adequate tools to allow the modding community to make the game most of us were expecting in the first instance.

The State Of My Game

As an RO1 player I pre-ordered RO2 the moment I heard (and then read) about it. Sadly, I now add Tripwire to my ‘never pre-order from’ list as RO2 wasn’t the game that was written about, described in interview or even demo’d; gameplay altering decisions were spuriously reversed just prior to release and I find that to be underhand and very difficult to forgive. I encouraged all of my RO1 friends to look into RO2 a few months back and without exception none of them are still playing it, and I do feel a bit silly now for having pushed it so hard. (Even the clan I was part of refuse to adopt it due to the affront to competitive play that is the perma-stats boost system – a decision I wholeheartedly agree with.) These things are all a great shame, and it’s an even greater shame that I’m now placing hope not with TWI but with the modders to bring back the game that I thought we were going to get. I’ll have a hard time ahead of me in convincing all of my comrades in arms to give RO2 a second chance, but if the game eventually genuinely delivers I will try.

It doesn’t matter what I say about RO2, or what anyone else belonging to the 0.1% demographic say, because TWI have already called this one a success based on sales alone which is probably being interpreted as vindication for the design choices made in the game; however, if there were to be an RO3 (or even just pay-for DLC) how well do you think that would do? No prizes for correctly guessing the answer for that one, people; sorry!

Confession time - I still play RO2. As far as FPSs go it’s not a bad one and the core gameplay is pretty solid, but here’s the deal: I didn’t want to buy just-another-fps I wanted to buy RO2. I think that’s what’s eating me up inside, that nibbling little burning sensation that comes from feeling ever so slightly cheated.

Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
The stats boosts are a horrible idea I've never understood, as someone whos usually in the top few on the scoreboard it seems nuts that I should have extra advantages over a more casual player I'm able to usually outshoot on a level playing field.
It's also a great big, iron plated 'get lost' to new players. Imagine, you're a new player six months down the game's lifeline and you discover, before you even compare things like game experience and unlocks, that most other players on the field have an additional artificial +20-30% boost in some critical game mechanical areas over you. Even the CoD/MoH games don't do this. It's a short-sighted design failing of the worst kind, IMO. The game would be much better off from a customer approval measure without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumba [cro]
Upvote 0
It's also a great big, iron plated 'get lost' to new players. Imagine, you're a new player six months down the game's lifeline and you discover, before you even compare things like game experience and unlocks, that most other players on the field have an additional artificial +20-30% boost in some critical game mechanical areas over you. Even the CoD/MoH games don't do this. It's a short-sighted design failing of the worst kind, IMO. The game would be much better off from a customer approval measure without it.

+1

I rarely play the game for more than 1 hour a day if at all anymore due to game mechanics and design choices, unlocks and levelling being a major turnoff as well as the cover system, rapid movements and the run n' gun style play it promotes and not to mention the choice of 'toggle' instead of hold and release functions.

I can understand if TWI's goal is a much 'broader' player base with less demands for realism than than most of the old time RO/MN/DH player base but they should have made that clear to everyone instead of using phrases such as making the game more 'accessible'.

I will wait and see if the game will improve with further patching before playing again but waiting will also make the game even more frustrating when a lot other player will then have gained higher ranks and better weapons unlocks than mine and to be frank I have neither the wish nor the inclination to grind hours on end every day after work for unlocks which from a realism point of view should have been available to every player, except for the Mkb, MG34 saddle drums, silenced Nagant Revolver and the AVT which should not be in the game, period. I especially laugh at the ridiculessness of the need to unlock bayonets for the rifles - those were very rare at Stalingrad it seems...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They've already got the sales from the game and the player base has fallen to a mere 3,000 people.

Hopefully they just fix up all the game play changes because I'm fairly certain if they do manage to put together an acceptable successor to Ro1 then at least 1,500 Ost players/clan members would find their way back to Ro2 (myself included)

And to be honest - I feel like a lot of the people who play Ro2 (before ost) and have stuck with the game would be even more thrilled more a Ostfrontisized version of the game

Reactions: [Splat]= Zocko
Upvote 0
Sound bug is still there, and the server browser *still* doesn't work. If I've got 45 minutes to play after work, I spend 15 of them just trying to get the game to even show me a server. Heaven forbid I try and connect from my Steam friends list - the game will launch (more slowly than usual) then click a few times and drop me onto the main menu. And the server browser won't work at all.

**** it. I'm going to bed. Can't be arsed dealing with this tonight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0