• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Anti-cheat

This will only work sometimes. Most cheaters implement an "Anti-ScreenShot" function within their hacks.

What they do is hook the function that PB uses to force a screenshot and read when it is being used by PB. The moment PB Accesses the function to force a screenshot, the cheaters program(hack) knows and automatically disables all visual hacks for a few seconds, then re-enables them.

So unfortunately, unless the cheater is in-experienced enough to run in PB servers with a hack that does not check for Screenshot captures, its not going to capture the real threats(the experienced hackers that are getting away with by playing in a less Obvious manner).
Did anybody even read this? Or is just common knowledge how they bypass screenshot detection and so my comment is meaningless.

If I am not mistaken they can detect when PB is going to take a screenshot of their screen by Hooking the DirectDraw function and reading if PB accesses it, when DirectDraw is called by the PB module, they disable all visual hacks for a few seconds simply by toggling a bool in their hack.

I am by no means an expert, I just read up on a lot of these kind of things to keep on how people are cheating me.

There has been one in the KF and RO forums since forever :) At launch of RO 2, there will be one here as well.

So not only are you guys implementing 2 Anti-Cheat systems, you are also taking a direct approach at counter hacking yourselves? Or am I mistaken. It would be nice to you guys not simply relying on the 3rd party Anti-Cheat systems to prevent hacking this game, this game is far too good people exploiting its potential with hacks of any kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
So, have people any complaints about PB in newer games like BFBC2?

At launch BFBC2 had so many punkbuster problems
even say, a hiccup in your internet connection would kick you from a match for "Punkbuster heartbeat fails"

after gigs of patching and months later DICE sorta fixed it.. I say sorta cause all though my problems went away
Problems started for my friend

In my experience in BFBC2 overall
it caused more problems than it solved... still encountered many aimbotters
and im talkin about blatantly obvious ones too
they would fire an lmg in the air and each shot is a headshot
lol

that game made me rage often

Upvote 0
If you have cheat files, submit them to us. Where you failed in this equation was not forwarding them to us here at Tripwire Panzerklein.

It was around 1.5 yrs ago and all these files could be simply googled,thats why we tested this to see how many people could potentially use them. But after some time everyone has lost interest in RO,so i saw no pint in continuing researches in this field.

Upvote 0
... I just read up on a lot of these kind of things to keep on how people are cheating me. ... It would be nice to you guys not simply relying on the 3rd party Anti-Cheat systems to prevent hacking this game,...
Does not sound like you have read up on TWI's approach then, as they clearly do not simply rely on 3rd party anti-cheat.

Upvote 0
Does not sound like you have read up on TWI's approach then, as they clearly do not simply rely on 3rd party anti-cheat.

Ah thats good to hear.

However I posted in an unclear way as I always do. I was meaning that sentence in a question form for confirmation weather do infact take a direct approach. Will be cool to see how they handle the Private hacks being Rented out to dimwits stupid enough to pay a monthly subscription to cheat in a game.

Upvote 0
It was around 1.5 yrs ago and all these files could be simply googled,thats why we tested this to see how many people could potentially use them. But after some time everyone has lost interest in RO,so i saw no pint in continuing researches in this field.

That could go for any game, not just RO. If you find cheats for any FPS game you play that uses VAC or PB, send the files to the respective parties involved so they can create fixes to help combat cheats.

Upvote 0
That could go for any game, not just RO. If you find cheats for any FPS game you play that uses VAC or PB, send the files to the respective parties involved so they can create fixes to help combat cheats.

Indeed, if you dont do that you cant expect them to start detecting them. If they dont even know about them how could they detect them?

Upvote 0
Good to see the three pronged approach, and involving the community.

The best part and also the only bit that will really work is being able to submit known cheats directly to the developer.

i know little about VAC beyond its reputation, which to my ears isnt good, but Punkbuster is a Tool.

And like any Tool, its only helpful if its fully utilised. Adding a community like PBBANS helps in that utlisation leaps and bounds, so thumbs up there.

Given that both systems are still flawed, and users are easily defeating them in the latest games (ala BC2) it does make me wonder why Developers still depend on third party entities to protect their hard wrought IP though. Surely the best person to write an anticheat for anything would be the Developers themselves?

Thats not directly aimed at RO btw, just something I often wonder about across the entire gaming industry these days. Sure, there was a time when Punkbuster was fairly good at protecting games, that time however passed years ago.

Upvote 0
Interesting topic this however remember Homefront which was just released used the U3 engine and was hacked to pieces ...

I've been working in IT for years and developed and designed all sorts of stuff but what I fail to understand is why do game studios rely on 3rd party cheat detection systems .... no money in it is my guess.

Surely the best way to catch cheats is to add it directly into the games code base ... if you detect an anonomly disable the users key from MP access.

There must be loads of ways the in game developers can determine if a game is hacked ... hec they can run there own programs to monitor game files, take in game images and analyse directly on the clients pc, gee they can even add in encyption on all sorts of stuff to prevent tampering ...

Bottom line is the developers are best placed and can do it far better than 3rd party software which also relies on client, server side software and admins.

Upvote 0
Why reinvent the wheel?

cause the wheel do work for paid hacks 99 percent of the time !

Yummy-Vegetables has it spot on the games developers should check the cheats and stop them not hope a third party program catches them and who dont really care if they do.

pb does catch alot of people but the amount who go unnoticed is a joke.

if you google hack sites for fps gaming for eg youll find 1000s of sites with undetectable hacks. even if you get caught alot of these sites will give you a free key for getting caught so back on they go to continue hacking !

lock things down make it basuc and no or hardly any changes can be made and be tough .

hopefully tripwire can help stop it at least in there games cause cod and bf cant be bothered. would be very refreshing indeed to see it in practice.

also one thing ive noticed through many years of gaming is one key factor hacks cant stop is latency issues ! all hacks cause ping spikes ! why no one has worked on this is beyond me.

Upvote 0