• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Rising Storm Guadalcanal Daytime Territory and Countdown Maps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If people do not delete the old version will that crash the game ? If so I can see this not ending well for many.

Correct. This entire episode has been a nightmare for the users. (Servers LOST players the moment the Day/Nite maps came up)

The customized RS DAY/NITE maps must be cooked and provided in the conventional format. As it is now, the users are not be bothered to jump thru all the flaming hoops to play these maps.

SWS is not behaving and the Server ReDirect does its job but the flurry of files is a bit much.

Users want to boot up the game and play - not be software engineers.

Regrettably, we've temporarily removed the maps from our rotation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If people do not delete the old version will that crash the game ? If so I can see this not ending well for many.

not that i know of

it just means you have an old version of my map.

and when you subscribe to the new one im not sure how it will be handled

will it be updated or will it see the old file and say well he has it lets not update it

and its easy enough to delete the old version from the file system

also it also something you need to do for any steam workshop item that you subscribe to for any game because when you unsubscribe they dont delete them so your file system slowly filling up with files that will not be reference and that may cause issue if you subscribe to them at a later time. also if its a mutator it will still be there and running so it can cause problems with the game.

Upvote 0
Correct. This entire episode has been a nightmare for the users. (Servers LOST players the moment the Day/Nite maps came up)

The customized RS DAY/NITE maps must be cooked and provided in the conventional format. As it is now, the users are not be bothered to jump thru all the flaming hoops to play these maps.

SWS is not behaving and the Server ReDirect does its job but the flurry of files is a bit much.

Users want to boot up the game and play - not be software engineers.

Regrettably, we've temporarily removed the maps from our rotation.

while im sorry to hear that you are no longer hosting the maps, but to be honest there is nothing i can do since this is how twi created them this way and im not going to spend weeks or even months redoing them and then having to redo the work again and again each time twi creates a new release.

for them most part i honestly have no problem using steam workshop to subscribe to maps. the most problems come with publishing to it. in fact a good many people have downloading them and ive not really had any complains.

the download redirect is what it is and there is nothing i can do about it.

perhaps when the maps are all done ill put them in a map pack and include them with a installer which will make it easy for people to install, but no promises.

i may also look at setting up my own dedicated server, but i cant promise that either

perhaps i can convince twi to bundle them as a free dlc they put on steam. it would not be all that big if its integrated with their game, sadly i cant do that because we do different builds and because it would require minor tweaks where they would have to move some of the stuff into the map so that i would not be loaded from common file. like the sky since i cant have a day sky being loaded in nighttime map. very minor stuff. but if its done they can add it to the maps and have them share the existing art, sound, fx, ect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Corrected the file extensions

Corrected the file extensions

Regarding the streaming, did you try to use the Merge commandlet to make one package from all the separate streaming packages? The night/day map version will then become 1 package thus downloading the map over the redirect to a client will automatically also include the side packages. This is normally the procedure used by mutators to ensure that the sound cues or other assets go over the redirect too. For instance Dibbler's sound mutator is using that technique too. I believe it should work for maps too.

This is the procedure to merge multiple packages into 1 package:
  1. Go to the folder where ROGame.exe (64 bits version) is sitting and open a dos command window there.
  2. Copy all your mutator files into that directory (I never got the merging to work when the files do sit in an other folder).
  3. Execute the merge commandlet on each separate .upk file.
    For example:
    • ROGame.exe mergepackages MyAssetPackage1.upk TE-MapName.upk
    • ROGame.exe mergepackages MyAssetPackage2.upk TE-MapName.upk
    • ROGame.exe mergepackages MySoundCues.upk TE-MapName.upk
    With each command you will see TE-MapName.upk grow.
  4. Final step is to delete all the previously in step 2 copied side package files (but don't delete the big target package). Thus for the above example you delete MyAssetPackage1.upk, MyAssetPackage2.upk and MySoundCues.upk, but not TE-MapName.upk.

Looks like a lot of work, but it can easily be automated by writing a simple batch file.

More about the merge commandlet can be found here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0