• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

List of Upcoming Changes:
Replaced Mamayev Bunkers with dug outs
Replaced 50% of the grass, hopefully no more floating ones
Replaced all the bushes, no more tiny ones to trip on
Capture time for G and D increased by 15 seconds
Added more defense for G
Added more trees and snow
Added more cover for Russians in K
German Arty Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 8
German Mortar Timer reduced to 4 minutes from 5.7
Russian Arty Timer reduced to 6.66 from 8
Russian Mortar Timer reduced to 5 minutes from 5.7
Expanded Map Boundaries
Adjusted Spawn Protection

Feel free to debate these changes and give good reasoning. :D

Was there something wrong with the bunkers? just curious becuase they seemed to work fine and provide good cover albeit the windows being too high in some of them.

Upvote 0
Seems like spotting the enemies in this map is sometimes very challenging because of all the fog and shrubs etc. And I gotta say that isn't a bad thing at all. It may be a little more easier map for the soviet side but it isn't badly unbalanced because just in time of couple of matches I was able to win it regardless of which side I was playing. I also think removing those Mamayev type bunkers was a good idea because firstly you really couldn't see a **** from there and secondly entering and getting out of them would usually result getting you stuck.

In overall it's a map that has that something that made Bridges of Druzhina great.

Here's Some "bragging" screens I took today from the very first match I played in this great and atmospheric map.

Attachments

• 2012-09-26_00001.jpg
    2012-09-26_00001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-09-26_00002.jpg
    2012-09-26_00002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
After literally 5 hours of figuring out how to manually install maps I finally got it, I'm playing this one right now with bots, I like it a lot, The foggy atmosphere is just awesome. Feels like an absolute true WW2 eastern front battlefield. I love this, Looking forward to trying it on multi player when I can get a stable connection. Gonna be playing on it the rest of tonight ! :D

Upvote 0
After literally 5 hours of figuring out how to manually install maps I finally got it, I'm playing this one right now with bots, I like it a lot, The foggy atmosphere is just awesome. Feels like an absolute true WW2 eastern front battlefield. I love this, Looking forward to trying it on multi player when I can get a stable connection. Gonna be playing on it the rest of tonight ! :D
Installing maps can be a bit tricky. I recommend you use this: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76762
It'll speed up the process significantly.

Upvote 0
I just signed up after lurking around here before release, to thank you and tell you this is by far the greatest map i have ever played so far in RO2, the gameplay is just amazing.. The only thing after some problems with movement on the left hill with the bunkers, what i can suggest is a bit more "icy" snow texture on the ground if possible. (ever played cryostasis?)

So props to you my friend very impressive, I was literally freezing in my warm room just by playing this.

Map of the year :D :IS2:

Upvote 0
don't know if this has been reported, but i got the chance to play it today and there was a problem with spawn killing. i'm not sure exactly where we were, but as a russian, germans were able to sit and wait for us to spawn and shoot us from very close range. like twenty meters or less. we'd spawn and die. it was in the middle of the woods with no trenches or anything in sight, if that helps any. i should have grabbed a screenshot with showdebug on, for the location. when i find it, i'll get one for you.
great map, by the way! :D

Upvote 0
don't know if this has been reported, but i got the chance to play it today and there was a problem with spawn killing. i'm not sure exactly where we were, but as a russian, germans were able to sit and wait for us to spawn and shoot us from very close range. like twenty meters or less. we'd spawn and die. it was in the middle of the woods with no trenches or anything in sight, if that helps any. i should have grabbed a screenshot with showdebug on, for the location. when i find it, i'll get one for you.
great map, by the way! :D

Was it at the last objective? I've noticed it too, at the top of the hill.

Upvote 0
Was it at the last objective? I've noticed it too, at the top of the hill.
i think it was befoe the camp objective. i don't beleive it was the last one. i'm not sure, because i just got the map loaded and it was well under way when i got in. all i know was as soon as i spawned, there was a guy there to shoot me. odd, says i. respawn, get shot again. starting to see a pattern then. worst part was, it was a forum member doing it and we were telling him he was killing us as we spawned. we were glad when the rest of the germans capped, so we could get out of the cycle. :mad:
i'll give the map a runthrough later off-line with bots and find the spawn-point.

p.s. right now it seems to be a german map. we got steam rolled. but it was just one match. so i hope i'm wrong and the germans were just better players. them using exploits like ability to spawn-kill just made it easier for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think it was befoe the camp objective. i don't beleive it was the last one. i'm not sure, because i just got the map loaded and it was well under way when i got in. all i know was as soon as i spawned, there was a guy there to shoot me. odd, says i. respawn, get shot again. starting to see a pattern then. worst part was, it was a forum member doing it and we were telling him he was killing us as we spawned. we were glad when the rest of the germans capped, so we could get out of the cycle. :mad:
i'll give the map a runthrough later off-line with bots and find the spawn-point.

p.s. right now it seems to be a german map. we got steam rolled. but it was just one match. so i hope i'm wrong and the germans were just better players. them using exploits like ability to spawn-kill just made it easier for them.

The trend right now is German win more often than Russians. The best places for Russians to defend are the last objectives and EF. Most of the other objective are taken easily. I have to wait and see if there are more changes as more players play. You can see the list of upcoming changes that should help everyone out and improve gameplay in a previous post.

The ratio of Germans and Russian winning is probably 3:2 from my experience.

Edit:
Just played another game and it looks like the Germans are figuring out where the spawn killing spots are and are abusing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I don't always post about things I have no idea about, but when I do, I make sure to look like an idiot.

What I meant (without having played the map, which I am very much looking forward to) was that early feedback seemed to indicate that some time-consuming changes were needed to what, I felt, were considered finalised areas, meaning you'd be reluctant to rework it.

That's why I indicated that for future the earlier in the work-cycle you involve the community, the less work you may have later (as it was my impression

Upvote 0
- - - snip - - -

Edit:
Just played another game and it looks like the Germans are figuring out where the spawn killing spots are and are abusing it.

Correct... some sort of protections are called for... perhaps a multi-direction exit from behind a knoll... piles of logs, a trench line, perhaps a tunnel or two, etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Damn bots...Germans win when there are bots and Russians win when there are no bots.

:D

Yeah. Bots and certain numbers of them really can have an impact on a given map. I've been thinking about pulling back a little on their numbers.
I think there is room for adjustment here, now that public participation has reached a certain level.

Upvote 0
I am considering making the 2 Square Bunkers satchel objectives. It's so crucial for Russians to use them but it also hurts Germans so much. Don't expect fancy destruction model, it will probably turn into a pile of rubble that looks nothing like the original bunker.

I am still hoping to see more full server games. Germans keep pushing E instead of taking and holding F. I want to see new strategies evolve before I make any big balance changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0