• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Map] TE-Arad 2 (Beta3)

First of all, I really enjoyed this map and hope, when halftracks are released that it reverts to a combined arms match. Anyway, it is coming along nicely! I have a few notes about it however.

1: The fences are stopping tanks! Especially if you don’t drive into them in a particular way, and this is annoying because you can't back up if you get stuck. :mad:

2: Some of the larger rocks separating objective zones are floating in mid-air about a foot or two. They need to be sunk down into the terrain a bit more.:eek:

3: I think the map could benefit from the addition of a few more random trees, especially along the larger fields around their perimeter as to encourage an ambush.

Upvote 0
Hey bud,

I appreciate the feedback.

1. All the fences that are around the houses are destructible. Are tanks not destroying them? The rest, which are around the rock formations, are not. You guys prefer all of them being destructible?

2. I'd appreciate some type of screen shot,video of the location.;)

3. I'll see what i can do. need to watch how much more stuff i add, for performance issues.

Once again Thank you for the feedback.

You sir, are correct! and both will be entrees into the remake phase of the map contest. :D

That...... Sounds wonderful! TY :D

Upvote 0
I saw a bad case of rubber banding going on with one of the bot tanks.

Rubber banding location. The tank would hit the little house on the left, get about 10m from it and rubber band back to the house. He eventually got free.

The rubber banding issues occur on Commissar's House and Pavlov's House as well. Don't think its specific to this map.

Upvote 0
Hey bud,

1. All the fences that are around the houses are destructible. Are tanks not destroying them? The rest, which are around the rock formations, are not. You guys prefer all of them being destructible?

3. I'll see what i can do. need to watch how much more stuff i add, for performance issues.

You sir, are correct! and both will be entrees into the remake phase of the map contest. :D
Awesome! Good luck on the contest :IS2:

Upvote 0
Hey bud,

You have to hit the fences at full speed to guarantee they will destruct, the fences round the rock formations are a bit pointless, and unless their is some map making decision for them being there i would just remove them.

Upvote 0
I think also that the out of bounds areas could be defined by a line of fences (or some other suitable obstacle) rather than walls. The walls just don't fit in with a map that is set on the plains.:IS2:
Perhaps minefield markers, as we had in Ostfront., they're pretty unobtrusive, or just remove the walls completely,the trees behind them look inpenetrable anyway, and their are already tank traps in the gaps in the walls/trees.
At obj. B and D (and other places)part of the villages are walled off,these could perhaps be opened up and made usable,at least on the combined arms version, either that or just remove the walls,and the buildings inside the walls.They just don't look right stuck behind high walls.
Axis tank spawn 1 needs a larger spawn protection area, coz its nearly possible to drive an Allied tank right into that spawn, their is a minefield there,but its way too small, and you can sit just outside that minefield and fire into the spawn with no penalty.
I'm not being critical, as a tanker these small things don't bother me at all, i'm just looking at the map from the point of view of a judge on a mapping contest panel.

Attachments

• walls houses.jpg
    walls houses.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-06-16_123310.jpg
    2012-06-16_123310.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • axis spawn.jpg
    axis spawn.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • south vil walls..jpg
    south vil walls..jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wolverine,

You don't need to wait until a mapping contest phase to release an update for your map. Actually, your probably better off getting it as polished as you can as soon as you can. We don't require you to release a "new version" to put in the contest. Just submit the best, newest version.

So now for a little feedback. I played this tank only version of this map for a couple of hours this weekend. I really had a good time, and it looks like you are off to a good start. I've got a couple of suggestions for you (you can take them or leave them, but I might just be a contest judge so... ;) )

- You should lock both North or both South objectives when a team has captured both objectives on their side and one of the objectives on the other team's side. We did this in the original Arad, and it helps prevent that "round robin" problem where its impossible to hold 2 objectives while attacking a 3rd, so objectives just keep changing hands the whole round.
- You should have two sets of spawns for each team like the original Arad. When a team captures both objectives on their side, and one objective on the enemies side, you should push the enemy team's spawn back. This helps keep the momentum going for the team that has captured 3 out of 4 objectives and makes it possible to win by getting all 4 objectives. It also really focuses the battle at that point and makes it more exciting.

Cheers,

John

Upvote 0
Hi Wolverine,

I hope you make a combined arms map with this. Each side getting 4 tanks, rest infantry would be awesome. Especially when later on, we have halftracks.
A bit more cover like trees/bushes etc. would help the infantry and engineers would finally play a huge role on a map like Arad.

Now since the AI machinegunners are tweaked, infantry has higher chances against tanks.

Upvote 0
Wolverine,

You don't need to wait until a mapping contest phase to release an update for your map. Actually, your probably better off getting it as polished as you can as soon as you can. We don't require you to release a "new version" to put in the contest. Just submit the best, newest version.

So now for a little feedback. I played this tank only version of this map for a couple of hours this weekend. I really had a good time, and it looks like you are off to a good start. I've got a couple of suggestions for you (you can take them or leave them, but I might just be a contest judge so... ;) )

- You should lock both North or both South objectives when a team has captured both objectives on their side and one of the objectives on the other team's side. We did this in the original Arad, and it helps prevent that "round robin" problem where its impossible to hold 2 objectives while attacking a 3rd, so objectives just keep changing hands the whole round.
- You should have two sets of spawns for each team like the original Arad. When a team captures both objectives on their side, and one objective on the enemies side, you should push the enemy team's spawn back. This helps keep the momentum going for the team that has captured 3 out of 4 objectives and makes it possible to win by getting all 4 objectives. It also really focuses the battle at that point and makes it more exciting.

Cheers,

John

Maybe my memory serves me wrong, i only played the original Arad about 1000 times, but as far as i remember their were no lockable obj.,all were recappable by both sides, and the round robin "problem",as you call it, is one of the reasons why the original map was so popular.
Holding 3 obj. at one time with 32 players (or less) is very do-able,and that's what stops the map from being boring.
Locking the first three obj. and concentrating 32/64 tanks/infantry in the middle of the map will not work,since each team will just sit in either the north or south village,and shoot at each other from there,resulting in stalemate, infantry/halftracks would be cut to pieces by the tanks, before they got anywhere near the 4th and final cap zone.
Arad2 already has 2 spawns for each team.
Sorry John but i completely disagree with your thinking on this map.
RO-Arad, and its variants, was a very popular (if overplayed) map in Ostfront, and the reasons for this are quite clear,and one of them is that the fighting WASN'T concentrated on one central area of the map, it was spread out across the map,for both infantry and tanks alike.
Attackers/defenders had to use teamwork to make sure that they held on to the zones that they had just capped,whilst at the same time using some of their resources to make a push for the enemies strongholds (N+S Villages)

Wolverine:
My opinion (for what its worth) is to keep the map as it is,make all zones recappable,lets not have a boring keep your distance slugfest in the middle of the map,give both teams multiple goals/objectives at all times, make teamwork a necessity to win this map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
----- snip -----
Wolverine:
My opinion (for what its worth) is to keep the map as it is,make all zones recappable,lets not have a boring keep your distance slugfest in the middle of the map,give both teams multiple goals/objectives at all times, make teamwork a necessity to win this map.

To add to the above, which I fully agree with, And;

• Expand the map.
  • Lose the static fences. (A multi-ton tank should never ride up on and get hung up on a fence.)
  • Make the walled areas accessible - gateways in and out.
  • More Cap Zones - make it an epic tank battle
Once we have the added transport vehicles, a CA version will be more than appropriate. ;)

Love the map now, I can only imagine the enthusiasm for the map once it sees the above additions. :)

Upvote 0
Maybe my memory serves me wrong, i only played the original Arad about 1000 times, but as far as i remember their were no lockable obj.,all were recappable by both sides, and the round robin "problem",as you call it, is one of the reasons why the original map was so popular.
Holding 3 obj. at one time with 32 players (or less) is very do-able,and that's what stops the map from being boring.
Locking the first three obj. and concentrating 32/64 tanks/infantry in the middle of the map will not work,since each team will just sit in either the north or south village,and shoot at each other from there,resulting in stalemate, infantry/halftracks would be cut to pieces by the tanks, before they got anywhere near the 4th and final cap zone.
Arad2 already has 2 spawns for each team.
Sorry John but i completely disagree with your thinking on this map.
RO-Arad, and its variants, was a very popular (if overplayed) map in Ostfront, and the reasons for this are quite clear,and one of them is that the fighting WASN'T concentrated on one central area of the map, it was spread out across the map,for both infantry and tanks alike.
Attackers/defenders had to use teamwork to make sure that they held on to the zones that they had just capped,whilst at the same time using some of their resources to make a push for the enemies strongholds (N+S Villages)

Wolverine:

First off, please note I was only talking about the tank only version (I have never played the combined arms version). I double checked in game, you are correct that the objectives didn't lock, I was remembering that incorrectly. The "round robin" problem is still however killing the new map. The solution on the original game was that capturing 2 objectives on your side of the river, and then capturing one additional would push the enemy team's spawn back, allowing you to capitalize on holding three objectives.

Also while the current map features two selectable spawns for each team, the spawns themselves do not move back when the 3 objectives are captured as I mentioned above. This was a key part of the gameplay of the original Arad. The team with the momentum could keep the momentum. Right now with the round robin problem the map degenerates into tanks basically driving in circles capping objectives that often time there aren't even enemies at.

I also think you misunderstand what I am suggesting about locking the objectives. I didn't suggest locking all 3 captured objectives, that would leave no way to counterattack. What I suggested is locking the two objectives on one team's side of the river when they hold both of those, and an additional objective.

Anyway, I know I'm just a lowly game studio president that helped guide the gameplay on the original RO1 Arad, so what do I know ;)

One really good suggestion I have for any designer though is, don't listen to people that tell you NOT to try things. I know that may sound harsh, but its true. Game design is an iterative process, and especially if changes are easy to make/undo you are ALWAYS better off trying lots of different things until something is as fun as it can be. If you end up changing something that makes the map less fun, you can always change it back.

Upvote 0
To add to the above, which I fully agree with, And ...

• Make the walled areas accessible - gateways in and out.
only if they also add proper trees in there and almost-indestructable motorbikes to ride around on ;)

edit:

I really want to try this map, but everitime I connect to a server running it, the download never starts and the game tries to load an inexistent map. Tried three servers and none of them worked. Though, for some reason, my friend could download it normally. It's just Arad that I can't download :(

did you try the map downloader?

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76762

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi John,

Give me 2 half tracks asap and, I'll put the obj upside down for you, if you'd like. :D Hell I'll add your name to a banner, attach it to the back of the recon planes , if it makes you happy.

That way you can play commander all day, and call for the recon planes :p

You get "All" that for 2 working transport vehicles 1 per side.;)

Now thats no much to ask for is it?:(

Upvote 0
Hi John,

Give me 2 half tracks asap and, I'll put the obj upside down for you, if you'd like. :D Hell I'll add your name to a banner, attach it to the back of the recon planes , if it makes you happy.

That way you can play commander all day, and call for the recon planes :p

You get "All" that for 2 working transport vehicles 1 per side.;)

Now thats no much to ask for is it?:(

No Halftracks please. Better work on an version of Arad with forest and higher hills and medium large brown grass. You can name it

TE-Arad_2_V2.4_Forest_hills_mediumbrowngrass_beta_11

Upvote 0