• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [Map release]TE-Butovo

Played your map today and it was lots of fun. A few things I saw were that Russian arty doesn't work at all because cd always says 0:00. Church/some fence have spots where you can't climb over. Also, lighting through windows sometimes gives me weird sunlight rays in squares. FXAA setting higher makes it a bit more triangular than flat squares, but its in the SS. Sometimes sun rays looked fine, but this happened especially through windows, may be a general RO2 bug though and its not a big deal.

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/Reckless_Idiot/screenshot/632988191057245252[/URL]

A lockdown timer would be good, we lost A and B early then held them at C for like 18 minutes.

Still its an amazing map especially in the time you've had to do it, just throwing at things to make it better.

Upvote 0
i vot no on lockdown timer. arty would be nice.
as far as those fences are concerned, yeah, there's a few that should be fixed, but after a couple times on the map. we learned where you can go over. it'll only be a real big problem when guys figure out where you have to go over and shoot you as you do. the thing i find wierd on the map is the unlimited forced respawn. the commander should be hitting the "n" button constantly to take advantage of it.

Upvote 0
We have just been testing this on our small test server with redirect on and its playing very nicely.

Nothing to report on bugs other than the usual mantling issues. The main gripe was people asking if the sun could be turned down (mainly an issue for the Russians). I personally thought it was quite nice, like a sunset :)

Do we think this is stable enough to pup on a busy 64 slot server?

Great work :D

Upvote 0
I had a lot of fun on this map over the last couple days. Kudos to you DOH-rekrut (and whoever else helped along the way). A lot of us devs are very excited (and surprised!) to see custom content that is already so far along in the development process. :cool:

Here's a quick and dirty short list of suggestions that I've come up with after a couple hours of playtime.

- Squad spawns would be nice. They are relatively easy to set up, too (just a regular PlayerStart with PrimaryStart unchecked). I'd go into one of the TW maps, find the right group, copy and paste them into your map, and align to the floor. After that you can spend a bit of time moving them into better cover areas and placing some in buildings.

- The performance seems to be fairly low. From what I can tell, the grass is the main culprit. I'd thin it out (especially in areas that don't need it). Maybe reduce the count in the field area with some shell craters. Areas outside the play area can have even fewer. You could also do some tests with the materials or other settings to see if you can get any FPS gains there.

- The nuclear explosion in the background is a bit much! Personally, I'd tone it down quite a bit and maybe offset the sun to be in a direction that players don't often look at.

- Mantling over fences obviously needs some tweaks. You could also knock a few down in key locations so players don't have to always mantle over them. I just took a look in the editor and you don't have an Info > RODestructionReplicationInfo. All destructible objects need to be in this list (use the scene manager when populating the array). You also have quite a few fences that are set up ClimbUp instead of Mantle, which is why some are not working. Unfortunately, this will take quite a bit of fiddling to get it just right.

- Most of the building interiors seemed very dark, especially considering the amount of sunlight outside. Check out some of the official maps and snag some MAL sheets (flat SM planes over each window that help bounce light inwards). You could also rotate the light direction to hit the buildings from the side as well as the front to allow more light to penetrate inside.

- Some of the spawns could be fired into. Most of this could be solved with a few moved objects and playerstarts.

- I would strongly suggest removing any overturned interior objects from common fighting positions (especially windows!). Try to keep all of the chairs and other debris near the corners or unused sections of wall and be sure to put blocking volumes around them to stop players from popping up all over the place. See Apartments for some good examples of cluttered rooms that do not hinder player movement or cause too many annoyances.

- You will want to put in a cull distance volume (or several, one that encompasses the entire level and one over each building) to make sure smaller objects are being culled out after a set distance. Right now many of the smaller objects in the level are always being rendered, regardless of how far away the player is from them (eg. the apples on the table...).

- One of the bathrooms has grass in it! :p

Overall I am very impressed with this level, and I'm certain that your efforts have inspired many other community mappers!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the spawning on SL function, it kinda makes the maps look smaller. I like how you have to walk for some time from the spawn to the combat zone, as it also serves as a punishment for dying, making people be more careful and act less recklessly. I'm glad Ogledow and Butovo have that function disabled and I hope the other custom maps do the same.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the spawning on SL function, it kinda makes the maps look smaller. I like how you have to walk for some time from the spawn to the combat zone, as it also serves as a punishment for dying, making people be more careful and act less recklessly. I'm glad Ogledow and Butovo have that function disabled and I hope the other custom maps do the same.

The respawn interval is your punishment for dying. Making players walk farther just isn't fun.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0