• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Te-Volkhovsky

StmRtn

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Finland
Here you go, second version from this one.

Combined arms with 6 objectives.

Random lethal arty.

Ice and snow at sub-zero temperatures.

4th objective trench system is taken from Yakovlevo made by Twrecks and used by his premission.
Also many other buildings are not made by me, they are taken from various maps lying around.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j8...khovsky_V2.roe

Known issues:

Overhead map still looks horrendous, because Im really over my head with gimp or photoshop etc.

Added:

Physics volume around the ice

Adjusted lights

Replaced Meshes

Changes to kismet

New spawn protection volumes

New lethal artillery sounds from Twrecks.

And some other things that I've already forgotten.

Please, leave comments, suggestions, feedback etc. below. There will be some problems, but its only the second version.

Last edited:
1st off, great map and good recycling of old content made cool, as in winterized. LOL, especially the Potato Patch.

Really liked the frozen river, though could use a physics volume so players slip and slide noticably but not too much.

You seriously need cap zone makers in your overhead map, otherwise it will suffice, though would have been better off shades of blue than the RO2 brown.

Yea, absolutely spend the time for a production build of the lighting. Ambient needs to be bumped up to atleast .5 and the dominate directional up a few notches as well. If you want dark spots, make sure there's a well lit area visible near by to keep your bearings.

There's quite a bit of low overhead spaces that require ducking to pass, if these are not well lit they will be a serious turn off for human players, and forget about bot pathing.

The tunnel into the potato patch from the allied side needs a second mesh or BSP to block player views as it clips very easily and you'll see under the map. There's also some wooden planking the extends from a rock face that looks wierd at the entrance.

Towards the Allied side, there's a garage with a bunch of trucks, couldn't use the stairs in the center, just walked through them. And in the Harbor some tall windows that prevent defensive fire, since there's sand bags there maybe it's intentional.

You might want to invest some time in more meshes or decal actors to dress up the cut-n-paste buildings. Make them look different, even if they layout is nearly identical.

This is just from a walk thru in PlayInEditor so don't have any comments on gameplay ATM.

Can tell you have a lot of time in this map, and with some polish will be 1st rate. Thanks for sharing :)

EDIT: The random killer arty is going to piss ppl off. Make the Kismet with a long (3-4 second) falling bomb sound so players can run away before the BOOM! Please give em half a chance to survive. The enemy should kill you, not the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really liked the frozen river, though could use a physics volume so players slip and slide noticably but not too much.

Yea, absolutely spend the time for a production build of the lighting. Ambient needs to be bumped up to atleast .5 and the dominate directional up a few notches as well. If you want dark spots, make sure there's a well lit area visible near by to keep your bearings.

The tunnel into the potato patch from the allied side needs a second mesh or BSP to block player views as it clips very easily and you'll see under the map. There's also some wooden planking the extends from a rock face that looks wierd at the entrance.

Towards the Allied side, there's a garage with a bunch of trucks, couldn't use the stairs in the center, just walked through them. And in the Harbor some tall windows that prevent defensive fire, since there's sand bags there maybe it's intentional.

You might want to invest some time in more meshes or decal actors to dress up the cut-n-paste buildings. Make them look different, even if they layout is nearly identical.

EDIT: The random killer arty is going to piss ppl off. Make the Kismet with a long (3-4 second) falling bomb sound so players can run away before the BOOM! Please give em half a chance to survive. The enemy should kill you, not the map.

Totally agree with the physics volume. Was fun to find good values.

Will make it to production, when there is time.
Do you mean that the dominant has go up up in the Z and what you mean by bumping ambient up ?.

Fixed the tunnel into potato patch. Nice to know about that bad collision thing, since Im doing some stuff for RS 1. Thank you.

And of course the stairs had no collision turned on.

And what comes to the arty, it pisses me off also :D.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with the physics volume. Was fun to find good values.

awesome!

Will make it to production, when there is time.
Do you mean that the dominant has go up up in the Z and what you mean by bumping ambient up ?.

DominantDirectionalLight_1>properties>Light>LightComponent>Brightness>1.500000 change to 3.00000

For ambient, you'll need to add a SkyLight actor. Though this might hurt FPS if if draw distances/occlusion are set to high. However, with your fog it shouldn't be a problem.

Fixed the tunnel into potato patch. Nice to know about that bad collision thing, since Im doing some stuff for RS 1. Thank you.

And of course the stairs had no collision turned on.

And what comes to the arty, it pisses me off also :D.

LOL, sent you a PM

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cover slots:

Are not working properly in some of the little bunkers at the first objective. They just jump backwards after paths are built.

And somewhere else they just float in the air. This cant be fixed, editor crashes if they are deleted.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=86007 look at the part "Crashing After: deleting, moving and editing covernodes." ;)

Also always good to have: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=87236

Upvote 0
It is surely because they are misplaced, or because you think they are not good but they 'are' (the 'main cover node icon' is not important, what is important are the cover node slots, for example you can have a cover node outside a trench, but the cover node slot, the red box representing where the cover node takes effect, can be placed inside the trench)

Upvote 0
I have to say that this is one of the most gorgeous Red Orchestra 2 maps to come out in a very long time, and to be so polished in its first public release is astonishing. Well done.

Bloodbath got together and hosted a full-server private event running your map and I have a demo recording for your review.

I'll start with some of the most notable things:

We couldn't get the tanks to work. They seemed bugged in that people would die in them after spawning so we left them alone. Even if they did work, it might be nice to have forced urban bottlenecks for tanks to traverse through and make it a vulnerable moment for them to advance (thus forcing teamwork to either protect or ambush the tank)

People suffered from inconsistent FPS drops. You'd think that people would suffer this throughout the map given the snow but it was sporadic. Can't say where, exactly, as I wasn't experiencing it myself.

The file size of the map is enormous. If you're going to get this hosted on a server you really need to try to aim at getting its size <200mb (especially if you want to get it onto the workshop!)

There aren't really enough iconic landmarks to fight over. It's an awesome town to fight in, but it'd be stellar if you could add a pivotal building to fight over, for instance. A custom-made structure would be best, rather than reusing an asset(s). I could set you up with some modellers that would be happy to help in this. You can have some filler caps, but a few unique ones would really spice this up some more!

I can provide more feedback but it'll be easier if you add me on Steam.

Cheers, mate, and well done!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ran a test run of Volkhovsky v2 tonight and it seemed more issues appeared this time around.

The map visibly seems a LOT brighter than before (the ground glows white). The darker version was really perfect with how it was, where it still had that night-time feel of it. And the moon is like a bright flashlight with sun shafts and, dare I say, someone even compared it to the eye of Sauron, heh.

The overhead map also seems to have changed into something odd. I feel the original version was also perfect with how it was before.

The tank bug for the Axis has been fixed but then now the Allies have a tank bug where they can't spawn, and it severely drained their tickets. Also, since light tanks in this game are bugged and cause massive ticket drains from bots, you had that problem happening on top of the spawn glitch for both sides as well. I'd suggest sticking to the P4 and T34 models.

Vehicles (tanks and transports alike) also complained frequently about having a very difficult time navigating the terrain because of so many obstacles blocking them, even when they finally reached a street too.

Following up from my last post with the FPS, there weren't any complaints about it this time and even I noticed some improvement there.

This map continues to have so much potential and people definitely want to play it, but it's just plagued by very small issues still. And it felt like more were added this time around than before.

Upvote 0