• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Caen OutSkirts

CommanderShepard

Jul 2, 2014
Caen Outskirts
637x358.resizedimage

Steam Workshop link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=382906129&tscn=1422481286

Map with european land setting with USA defending against the german counterattack. ( you need latest HoTW files to play this if you dont hav HotW get it here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=319269696)

A medium sized map with wide open battlefield with relatively little cover but ample environment to hide in. The environment feels beautiful (atleast to me :/) when you walk through the woods, fields and the colony

This map is very much based on the Caen outskirts map in the game "Men of War:Assault Squad 1" and hence is fictious in construction

If you own that game you can see the striking similarity between this and first map of german campaign in Men of War:Assault Squad 1

And by similarity I don't mean just the looks but the very essence of the way it was.

General overview:

1. Wide open battlefields means both teams will be tested down to the roots for their co-operation skills on how they cover and support their fellow soldiers

2. Concealement over cover: little cover but much flora

3. Large open field means heaven for snipers and machine gunners at the same time concealement will add to their headache

4. Close combat : once you get in the western streets its pretty much blood bath clearing enemy house to house

Technical features:

1. Added one MG42 tripod as a test feature for now and if all goes well the numbers may increase.

2. Added New Kismet based flag system indicating the current owner of the objective via flag.

3. Hay stacks can hide you from enemy but bullets will get you through them

4. Lili marleen radio :)

Direct download link http://www.mediafire.com/download/5o6qtc5in89a8g6/caen.rar

if you use direct download , copy everything in the zip file to your Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame

Enjoy.

Also please note its Caen OUTSKIRTS and not the cental area of caen.

Please notify me of any bugs

Last edited:
:cool:

Just as an FYI to both server operators and developers:

I blew up the server twice yesterday not realizing that the HOW mod
had gone to ver 4.

I'll do my best to keep these files updated on Crucible, and it's not particularly
difficult, but it would be a good idea for the HOW modders to "blow a horn"
in the Level Design update thread when a new version of the HOW mod is required. I'm updating Crucible to ver 4 now, and all should be well shortly.

Upvote 0

Just as an FYI to both server operators and developers:

I blew up the server twice yesterday not realizing that the HOW mod
had gone to ver 4.

I'll do my best to keep these files updated on Crucible, and it's not particularly
difficult, but it would be a good idea for the HOW modders to "blow a horn"
in the Level Design update thread when a new version of the HOW mod is required. I'm updating Crucible to ver 4 now, and all should be well shortly.
Well if you become a watcher on the moddb page you'll get automatic notifications whenever there's an update.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/heroes-of-the-west

Upvote 0
After an event with almost 20 people.
I had a lot of feed back on this map.

The grass, that I mentionned earlier, blocks your sight when you are attacking.
But don't appear at long range...so it's easy for defender.
And the map is pretty enough, would be better without it.
Spawnkilling is too easy for defenders.

Also the first three caps could be capblocked when taken.

Maybe we need more players to test it properly.

Otherwise it's a great map...I really like it...especially when we can arrive at the buildings.

Thanks anyway for the hardwork

Upvote 0
UPDATED!

Caen+(7).jpg

Download WF-CaenOutskirtsB2 Here

Changelog:

• "A" Cap now locks on capture :)
  • Time changed to 35 Minutes
  • Fences Now Destroyable
  • Allies Reinforcements: 380
  • Axis Reinforcements: 400
  • SdKfz can destroy fences
  • Added additional cover to some exposed areas
  • Added additional background buildings
  • Added more train cars
  • Mortar Cooldown is now 5 minutes
  • Varied terrain on some exposed areas
  • Random Arty falls after A,B,C are capped to cover Allies falling back
  • Added details to all buildings both in and out
  • Optimized Culling
  • Added Satchel Objectives for Engineers
  • Added a more complex trench system on final cap
  • Added several custom textures
  • Added more ambient noise
  • Flags now reset on round change
  • Tweaked flag flapping speed
  • Adjusted Cap zones slightly to benefit Attackers
  • Adjusted Water splash size in river
  • Adjusted Cap times
  • Updated Overhead Map
  • Fixed / Added Mantle points and Covernodes

To Do:

• The grass "popping" will be addressed in the next Mod update as these settings are contained in an external package from the map
  • Possibly add tunnels to last cap

Screens:
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Suggestion if I may.... I would either A) change the trench material to blend in with the terrain or B) change the terrain material to blend in with the trench system. Right now it feel as they were just dropped in there. blending them would make it look more natural and part of the environment . Other than that great job on the map, looks real good.

Upvote 0

B2 blew up the sever upon execution twice. Checked all files sizes and the .ini
for errors. none spotted.

The server logs indicated a "File not found" error. It was fatal, and so sudden that the file name was not indicated in the message.

I just want to verify that at least one other server has successfully run the map. If someone else has run it ok, I'll assume a download error and perform a complete reinstall.

Upvote 0