• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [WIP] RS-SubBase

Hey guys, sorry for leaving you guys out to dry without any updates. I was only really a transient member of the community, so I hadn't been checking this thread (or the forums) at all, apologies!

I'm aware that the current version up on the steam workshop has a crash issue, after one of the game's updates. I had tried to fix this, but because of my less than stellar connection, my upload attempts to the workshop always failed.

Anyway, I've uploaded the latest uncooked version of SubBase to my website, you can grab it here: http://www.martinpalko.com/files/RSTE-SubBase_Uncooked.zip

Feel free to edit/mod/release and do whatever you like with it, I just ask that you credit me as the original creator when you distribute it. If you want to put another version on the steam workshop, just add me as a contributor :)

Again, sorry about the long silence, hope you guys can make it better than I did :D

Upvote 0
I played many Subbase rounds recently and I should be aware of all the potential issues there. I'll take it and try to improve the map so everyone is happy.
If you you are aware of some bugs/issues on this map, please send them my way so I can fix them. If you want to help, do the same.

Palko, thanks for all this. Also PM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is great to hear! I am copying my earlier post of what can be improved (adding a bit more suggestions):

* The fence in front of A really needs to either have some holes added or be removed so that Americans will be able to attack the objective more easily. Generally the attack route on A really needs more cover.

* Tickets and time: should be at least 700 for Americans. The tickets are so few that you'll never reach the end of the map even when the American team destroys the Japanese team. Might have to add more time as well (not really sure how long the round is now).

* Some bad spawns. Americans spawn in their base even though they have captured A and B, which results in them having to run ~300 meters to get to the objective.

* Some of the ammo boxes really need some re-positioning. The first American ammo box is way too far away from the objective which results in squad leaders and commanders not going back to re-supply smoke grenades since they are placed so far back in the base.

* The B-objective approach is really horrendous in my opinion. The fence is blocking off most frontal attacks, which makes the only remaining option to attack from the beach. The beach attack is just a very narrow chokepoint (I think you've seen this Defwen). I think the whole beach approach could be made a lot more interesting (both to the C-objective and B-objective). One thing that I find quite annoying is the Japenese team unability to climb over the trench in B and C. Makes it very limited for the Japanese team's movement on both B and C.

Upvote 0
* The fence in front of A really needs to either have some holes added or be removed so that Americans will be able to attack the objective more easily. Generally the attack route on A really needs more cover.

I plan to make the fences destructible and will see if that works or not. Other option would to remake the front area slightly. Time will tell.

* Tickets and time: should be at least 700 for Americans. The tickets are so few that you'll never reach the end of the map even when the American team destroys the Japanese team. Might have to add more time as well (not really sure how long the round is now).

Usually defenders hold the first line too long and that makes the last line without tickets. I might adjust it a little but let's see how it plays out with the change above.

* Some bad spawns. Americans spawn in their base even though they have captured A and B, which results in them having to run ~300 meters to get to the objective.
Yep.

* Some of the ammo boxes really need some re-positioning. The first American ammo box is way too far away from the objective which results in squad leaders and commanders not going back to re-supply smoke grenades since they are placed so far back in the base.
Yep.

* The B-objective approach is really horrendous in my opinion. The fence is blocking off most frontal attacks, which makes the only remaining option to attack from the beach. The beach attack is just a very narrow chokepoint (I think you've seen this Defwen). I think the whole beach approach could be made a lot more interesting (both to the C-objective and B-objective). One thing that I find quite annoying is the Japenese team unability to climb over the trench in B and C. Makes it very limited for the Japanese team's movement on both B and C.
Yep.

Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Defwen that sounds great. Could you even put some reverb in the ounds area in the bunker and some better water sounds in the bunker? And outdoors a bit more ambient sounds? I really miss that on that map. It has so much potential and it`s our most played custom map when we have time and play together. Some Japanese Decals in the Bunkers would be great too to get the atmosphere . It`s a bit steril atm.

@Mr. Nightfire
There was a question from my team if you could make for donner (russian/german version) a rifle only version?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know that was it already fixed but many sandbags can't be jumped over or used with cover system.
Okey.

Defwen that sounds great. Could you even put some reverb in the ounds area in the bunker and some better water sounds in the bunker? And outdoors a bit more ambient sounds? I really miss that on that map. It has so much potential and it`s our most played custom map when we have time and play together. Some Japanese Decals in the Bunkers would be great too to get the atmosphere . It`s a bit steril atm.
Probably not for this version. The map itself is missing a lot of sounds and I'll look into that but the priority is different atm. Decals, sure.

Upvote 0
The role distribution could need some adjustments as well. If I remember correctly the Japanese team has five or six knee mortars. Might reduce it to two or three. Maybe add one flamethrower as well (definitely not more than one though :p).

Artillery cooldown time is seven or eight minutes. Maybe reduce this to five minutes? That might make it too easy for the Americans though.

Upvote 0
B5 is available.

Changelog:
[NEW] 1x Flamethrower slot (US)
[NEW] 3x Engineer slot (US)

[CHANGED] Objective A and B merged into a single objective*
[CHANGED] Fence in front of the first objective is destructible
[CHANGED] Kismet completely reworked
[CHANGED] Different spawn points for some objectives
[CHANGED] Trench area
[CHANGED] Station area
[CHANGED] Area in front of the first objective slightly changed
[CHANGED] More resupply points
[CHANGED] Beach approach is slightly bigger
[CHANGED] Tickets, time*

[FIXED] Objectives were missing Priority
[FIXED] ROPlayerStart was used instead of RSPlayerStart
[FIXED] ROVolumePlayerStartGroup was used instead of RSVolumePlayerStartGroup
[FIXED] Several objects were missing Mantle/Deploy/Climb Up action

* is subject to change and your feedback is crucial

Known issues:
- Player cannot jump over the sandbags near (will be fixed in B6)
- Overhead map needs to be updated (will be fixed in B6)
- Environmental sounds are too quiet or missing (B4 issue, will be fixed in B6)
Steam Workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414838923[url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414838923[/URL]

Direct download:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9jQkFitMFYxV3U3c2ZUUTFvYVE&usp=sharing[url]https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9jQkFitMFYxV3U3c2ZUUTFvYVE&usp=sharing[/URL]

Filename: RSTE-SubBase_B5.roe
MD5: 783B4ABB2F2D43FA614AB2CDE2190004
SHA-1: 81532CCCC4363E87557BC247DB9BDF4823DB6C45

Upvote 0