• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [WIP] RS-SubBase

IMO. need to add overhead cranes in the pens. They're not parking garages. IRL they're intended for maintanance and repair.

Otherwise, really nice map. The contrast between outside and inside fighting really makes this a winner. The exterior portion is exceptional, great lighting and use of assets. Each cap zone has its own feel. The interior is now much improved, however still looks oldschool UE2 for the most part.

Thanks for continuing developing this map. Just keeps getting better :)

Sure, I'll add them. That great lighing is killing my CPU.
I don't know how to get rid of the oldschool EU2 looks atm. Will have to think about it.

:cool:

Load tested from redirect and execution tested on server. All seems well.
The textures and lighting are very impressive. Even blowing sand. I don't recall if I've ever seen that before. Very nice.

Kudos to the original author for the textures and lighting.;)

The balance seems to have gone too far the other way now.

It's hard to tell. I played rounds when attackers captured all points without any issues, I played rounds when they couldn't capture the first point. Let's wait and see.

Upvote 0
One small annoyance is the A beach trench flank cap or whatever has a really small combat zone, this made a real pain to kill hiding MGs in the bushes because you have like 4 short seconds to spot them through the red filter and then kill them. You also can't leap down the right side trench for cover either. Then again opening that area up for attackers might create a spawn killing problem for defenders.

The rest of the map is fine from what i have played so far. Some minor tweaks with prop placement here and there but nothing major.

The last area with catwalks is the only one that needs to be worked on.
If almost entire attacking team gets up there they got the whole area covered and becomes a shooting gallery.
Although last time i played i pretty much single-handedly wiped them out with only a rifle when they rushed out of the vents so...

Upvote 0
Could you add Garands to the Japanese to make it more like the late war map it was in Battlefield Bad company?;)

Gasrand for Japanese = NOPE

It actually was developed by the Japanese, but it surely didn't look exactly like the US M1 Garand rifle. I don't even know if it was even used in ANY of the battles in the Pacific. It was an experimental weapon, although there were some indications that some of them were deployed to the troops on Okinawa (unconfirmed). Quote:

As the war progressed, other nations followed America's lead in developing and adopting semi-automatic rifles, but Japan's production of these arms continued to be restricted to experimental and prototype models. Shortly before the war's end, the Imperial Navy produced the Type 5 rifle, a 7.7mm caliber copy of the American M1 Garand which featured a 10-round box magazine rather than the M1's 8-round en bloc clip. These were also manufactured in extremely limited numbers; perhaps as few as one hundred were produced. Due to limited resources, the Type 5 quite likely would never have entered production even if Japan had managed to prolong the war. Shortages of suitable arms caused some of the earlier prototypes to be committed to combat, including two Pedersen-type rifles that were captured by American troops on Okinawa.

Source:
Code:
http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/wwii,-korea,-vietnam-and-beyond/case-63-world-war-ii-allies-and-japan/%27%27japanese-garand%27%27-wwii-semi-automatic-rifle.aspx

Upvote 0
Hi there,
a new version of SubBase is available. Thanks everybody for their valuable feedback, you are part of the reason why the map is close to its first RC version. Steam Workshop updated as usual: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414838923. Enjoy!

Changelog:
[NEW] Third staircases for the catwalk
[NEW] Indoor sounds
[NEW] Indoor effects
[NEW] New static meshes for the pens

[CHANGED] Lighting slightly adjusted
[CHANGED] Pens graphics reworked
[CHANGED] Jungle area reworked
[CHANGED] Station area adjusted
[CHANGED] New approach to a bunker from the beach (first objective)

[FIXED] Spawn protection issue

Known issues:
- Some flags inside the pens are black

And everything else I forgot ...
If you would like to download the map's .roe file, follow this link: http://defwen.com/ro2rs_maps/http://defwen.com/ro2rs_maps/

Steam Workshop has new screenshots, don't forget to check them out!

Upvote 0
You've managed to turn a memorable map that looked beautiful with natural colors into unremarkably bland by slapping it with a ugly brown filter over it for no good reason. Don't tell me that was your attempt at "fixing" the so called "Unreal 2 look" of the interiors? It's almost as bad as Battlefield 4.

If 90% of playerbase has same opinion, it's easy thing to revert. Beta version is about making decision and as a map maker, I have one and the only one vote for this.

This map was so broken before I've taken over yet you still keep complaining about something. You know, this is not my job. It's my free time we are talking about. Possitive and negative feedback is welcome, always will be. Your hostility is not however.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You see that i have a serious issue with someone who takes someone else's existing body of work, who then decides to work on an certain area when it's never been needed to under the assumption of "improving" or based on a few subjective criticism. In which case the majority loved.
It's one thing fixing the original creator's universally agreed flawed gameplay (which you successfully did no doubt about that) but it's another thing of changing something that goes against the original creator's intended art that has repeatably been praised for. I've seen this happen time and time again.

So i apologies for my previous scorcher comment.
But my point still stands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You see that i have a serious issue with someone who takes someone else's existing body of work, who then decides to work on an certain area when it's never been needed to under the assumption of "improving" or based on a few subjective criticism. In which case the majority loved.
It's one thing fixing the original creator's universally agreed flawed gameplay (which you successfully did no doubt about that) but it's another thing of changing something that goes against the original creator's intended art that has repeatably been praised for. I've seen this happen time and time again.

So i apologies for my previous scorcher comment.
But my point still stands.

I was asked to work on this map, I didn't steal it or release it without permission of the original author. It's interesting to hear something like that, especially from You, who wanted the center area to be reworked.

Majority loved and majority haven't played the map yet. What about keep it cool and wait? As I already stated before, if majority don't like it, it's easy to revert the lighting.

I don't know about art intentions of Mr. Palko but what about my intentions? I'm not a

Upvote 0
I was asked to work on this map, I didn't steal it or release it without permission of the original author. It's interesting to hear something like that, especially from You, who wanted the center area to be reworked.
I wasn't suggesting you stole it, so i don't know where/how you get this idea from.

If anything the map itself is a suspiciously carbon copy of the Operation Auro level in Bad Company 2. The new additions in your recent update doesn't help it either.
Once again i reiterate that subbase have been infamous with its laughable bad gameplay from the very start. In conclusion means it's layouts should be reworked on. which you indeed did and it has been a noticable improvement in the recent testing.
The look of it has been objectively good as it has been stated at numerous occasions from the community. Therefore shouldn't needed to be touched upon.
Majority loved and majority haven't played the map yet. What about keep it cool and wait? As I already stated before, if majority don't like it, it's easy to revert the lighting.
Aesthetics has been praised numerous times by the majority. There was only one guy who wanted the lighting of the interior section redone. Therefore you shouldn't have changed the entire look of the level to appease that one minority, because the majority didn't have this issue to begin with.

I don't know about art intentions of Mr. Palko but what about my intentions? I'm not a

Upvote 0
:)

Let's see, the current version is B9. Could've sworn the link was in the beta map thread. Most everything is. TWI's Crucible has it on the list along with over 50 others. If nothing else, you can go into Crucible during a quiet time and select it to play from the list. Be sure to use the slider; only about half are visible at any time. It will be downloaded to your client automatically from our mirrored redirect. I'm going to google B9 and see if I can locate a link.

Ah! Looks like Defwen has it in SWS. Just go to Steam Workshop and subscribe to it there. It will download to your client when you play RO2. Here is a direct link to his maps posted earlier. http://defwen.com/ro2rs_maps/

Last edited:
Upvote 0