• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Satchel Objectives

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I want to put a bunch of engineer objectives on my map but even after looking at the stock game maps I can't figure out how to set the destructable objects up.

Here's what I've done: Selected the wooden obstacle in the M-CommonDestructables folder and place it in the level; select "ROSatchelObjective" from Actor heading in Content Browser; right-click and place "ROSatchelObjective" on the obstacle; wonder where the icon for the ROSatchelObjective just went because it just disappeared; fail.

I've seen how the Kismet gets set up and it seems pretty straight-forward but how do you populate the ROSatchelObjective with the actor you want to blow up? Or does it work the other way around?

On a side note, when you use the Hedgehog from the M-CommonDestructables folder, it doesn't really blow up. It keeps its shape and then dark, cartoon-style smoke bubbles up from it.

I tried the to add satchel objectives to. Only another workflow. Did not manage to get them to work.

I took a destructable door out of the Red Oktober map. It's quite clear.
You have the intact door which have to be replaced by the destroyed door once the satchel blows

door2.jpg

Red Oktober kismet on the satchel stuff.

door3.jpg

Here an example of my door in the editor. My Kismet doesn't need the compare bool thing. Nothing to compare. Same door same Kismet. With exact settings in the Mofify health thing

door4.jpg

Result in game. Is that the level starts showing the destroyed door.

door1.jpg

Funny thing is that the first attempt I had it working.
But it had a weird glow on that door. I checked up kismet and
discovered I had connect that door to a 2th "All Player" thing to
the Instigator slot on the Modify Health thing.

I guess Kismet is just acting stubborn on this thing. Or we forget some simple setting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Satchel Objective are objectives that behave just like any other objective with the added option to drop a satchel pack on them to instantaneously capture the objective. That means of course you have to set them up with unique IndexIDs, RepIDs, and a volume. Remember, just like any other objective, a satchel objective must belong to one team along with the rest of the objectives in order to win a map.

There is a destructible component that is attached to the objective and a staticmesh component. Fill in the section for the staticmesh component in order to see the satchel objective in the editor. The destructible component is the part that is used in the game. The [0] array component should match the statchmesh base mesh. That will be shown in game at the start of the round. The [1] is the destroyed version of [0] -OR- a substage of [0] if you would like to have more than one destruction stage. The maximum suggested stages is 3. Each stage will get destroyed per satchel pack detonated on the objective.

That Kismet what was snagged up a little in the thread is for getting rid of a ROSaticMeshSatchelObstacle in game types where it's not needed such as Countdown where the destruction of a ROSaticMeshSatchelObstacle would be a hindrance to the overall game flow. The ModifyHealth is simply to apply a specific damage type to the map objects to destroy them and get them cleared out of the game space.

To set up a ROStaticMeshSatchelObstacle, use the same guidelines as above but ignore any objective settings as they will not exist in this actor. ;)

Bots do not understand how Obstacles work and will avoid them. Bots do not understand to drop a satchel on a Satchel Objective, they will simply stand in the objective volume.

Upvote 0
I don't get this running. Not objectives but the simple door blow ups.

These are my settings

door4.jpg

But it keeps on showing the destoyed door at game start. I still suspect Kismet for playing hard to get.

That Kismet you are running will destroy the door. Remove that modify health node and you should be golden. The only other thing you'd need to do is activate mini objective against your Satchel OBSTACLES. So that they show up in the HUD/Overhead map.

Upvote 0
That Kismet you are running will destroy the door. Remove that modify health node and you should be golden. The only other thing you'd need to do is activate mini objective against your Satchel OBSTACLES. So that they show up in the HUD/Overhead map.

So I only need to remove the modify health. So these door nodes won't need any connection ?

Upvote 0
You will want to pulse a "Enable Mini Objective" found at:

Action --> Objective --> Enable Mini Objective

against all your Satchel Obstacles.

I know that the name of the Kismet node is a little misleading but stay with me. ;) Enabling the Satchel Obstacles with that node will make them show up in the tactical HUD for the engineers and on the overhead as well.

Upvote 0