• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map Redirect/SDK Issues

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=74839
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=77667

There are also various problems such as radios dissappearing, cover killing players, objective names being broken.

Also, talk to Yoshiro, he has been the most help on this issue and should know the most.

While reading the Provkhoy thread, I see no issues for the first beta, as it's cooked about a week before the Feb 7th patch.

At post #133 Beta 2 was released. It was cooked after the February 7th patch.

Suddenly issues everywhere: crashes, players spawning without weapons, missing radios.

We tested it last night also. Players spawn with just nades and binos on Provkhov and Coldsteel.
Ogledow & Butovo played fine with the whitelisted antilag and reserved slots mutator.

Here's the thing: Ogledow & Butovo were cooked BEFORE the February 7th patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ramm, I can only speak as a server admin trying to run custom maps. I'll address a few of the problems we've experienced just trying to get the custom maps from the server to the client via redirect. I can't speak for the problems associated with creating or cooking custom maps for distribution. Nor is my comment about missing or broken features found during play within the custom maps.

1) The default cache settings for the client (as released in RO2) need to be adjusted. Playing the same custom map in the same evening often requires the client to RE-download the files.

2)The files that are being released are HUGE! Its a pain not only uploading the files to the redirect, but also for the client waiting to join the map. I'm not pointing fingers at the mappers. I'm more curious as to if there is any way to further compress the files with this new engine. As in the days of RO1 with ucc.exe -compress.. for example.

3) Often times the redirect fails. Either the client just sits at the "loading" screen or the client gets disconnected after a time. We've not been able to replicate it consistently as it happens somewhat randomly and to various random clients. Much of the time, the client must exit RO2, restart the game and try to rejoin the server to re-initiate the download.

4)The Steam Authorization failed message came up for several during play on the custom maps. That, too, was random and only happened to a few, so I can't say if that is custom map related or just an anomoly of the evening.

We had about 30 players on last night trying to play through a mix of custom and stock maps. Most all were RO1 veterans with plenty of computer savvy and patience. Most were on the same Teamspeak channel for the event. It was apparent that those that manually downloaded the files and installed them into 'appropriate' directories had little or no trouble. Those that used the re-direct only were having difficulty. (I think we all know the problems that can arise from players mixing custom files with stock files.)

Had those involved been your average FPS player, I doubt they would have gone to all the trouble of trying to join a server running a custom map. They would have just left frustrated.

I know your team is busy working on other vital aspects of the game, but I would ask that you put this feature of redirect game on the priority list. Some of the maps are terrific and these long time RO players really enjoyed them. It would be dis-heartning to lose talented mappers because of these (and other) issues. I can only imagine the mapper's frustration. I shudder to think of going back to the 'map packs' of the old days.....

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: [TW]Swag
Upvote 0
1) The default cache settings for the client (as released in RO2) need to be adjusted. Playing the same custom map in the same evening often requires the client to RE-download the files.

Which setting do you think is causing this?

2)The files that are being released are HUGE! Its a pain not only uploading the files to the redirect, but also for the client waiting to join the map. I'm not pointing fingers at the mappers. I'm more curious as to if there is any way to further compress the files with this new engine. As in the days of RO1 with ucc.exe -compress.. for example.

No, the cooking process of the UE 3 engine already compress the maps. There is no further benefit from attempting further compressing (occasionally you get a meg or 2 but that is it).

3) Often times the redirect fails. Either the client just sits at the "loading" screen or the client gets disconnected after a time. We've not been able to replicate it consistently as it happens somewhat randomly and to various random clients. Much of the time, the client must exit RO2, restart the game and try to rejoin the server to re-initiate the download.

We are looking into this

4)The Steam Authorization failed message came up for several during play on the custom maps. That, too, was random and only happened to a few, so I can't say if that is custom map related or just an anomoly of the evening.

Steam had a few issues the past few weeks which affected our titles. It should be cleared up now (but steam does have issues every now and again).

Upvote 0