• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Snapping Objects to Terrain Problem (Trying to Make a Forest)

Scan_carry

Feb 21, 2017
Hi all, I'm just looking for some advice on making my first map.I'm slowly following along with a combination of YouTube tutorials and forum/wiki guides trying to get the basics down before I get ambitious. So far I've put down a terrain, altered its height a bit to make a hill and a ditch, and added an AT gun to practice placing a static mesh. Pretty basic. As a second bit of practice placing meshes and copying and moving them i tried making a small forested area. This is where I ran into the issue I'm having. For the AT gun I was able to raise it up in the air a bit and then hit END to make it snap to the terrain below it. But with the trees I've found that when i select all of them (or even select them individually) and hit END nothing happens. I've worked out from tinkerig that this is probably because they're relatively close together. I'm assuming that when i hit END the static meshes of the trees are already touching and so they stay where they are rather than moving down to the mesh (not sure on terminology, assume "mesh" still applies) of the ground level. Is there any work around to this or is there simply a limit to how dense of a forest/vegetation area you can make without having to manually move every tree to ground level?