• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Force Dynamic Lighting, no shadows

Dziga Vertov

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2013
So I'm trying to make a map where all the lighting is dynamic, which works really well in the editor, but it seems that whenever I test the map in the game itself there are no dynamic shadows at all. I've tried checking a bunch of boxes and pretty much lost track of them, but I know at some point I have set all statics to "no precomputed" and turned on force dynamic lighting. There has to be some big thing that I am missing.

Probably because they do not have bCastDynamicShadow set to true. Which is not the default(Default is false). Also dynamic lighting is a no-no for static meshes. There's very little need for dynamic lighting on an RS/RO2 map. For performance reasons dynamic lighting isn't used, instead unreal "cheats" and makes a texture to apply to the area. So lighting doesn't need to be computed real time which would eat up far too much memory and CPU power. To give you an idea why do you think it takes so much time and resources to build light map textures...
If you want nice lights use skylights, and set the Dominant light to cast shadow maps (I don't remember which is the default). Use of Fog and the lighting channels is also something to look at. As well as Epic's tutorials and Guides, as well as third party ones.

Upvote 0
Ah, well the reason I was hoping to use dynamic shadows was that it seemed to me that they were much sharper and cleaner, and I specifically designed the map with dynamic shadows in mind from an fps perspective. In the editor with only dynamic shadows on and in pie I get above 60 fps). But I guess if they are disabled in the engine then there is little I can do.

Upvote 0
Sven71;n2262940 said:
Please do NOT attempt to load Taman at the moment. I somehow screwed brewing.

Yeah, I crashed my computer, somehow. I noticed a **** ton of shaders being compiled, which might be part of the reason, or at least a clue, like a lot of stuff that shouldn't be even needed to be compiled, unless you had custom hit decals, and the like?

Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2262952 said:
Yeah, I crashed my computer, somehow. I noticed a **** ton of shaders being compiled, which might be part of the reason, or at least a clue, like a lot of stuff that shouldn't be even needed to be compiled, unless you had custom hit decals, and the like?

It's running now. Unsubscribe the old Taman entry and subscribe to Taman1941_ROE and Taman1941_UPK respectively.
A test server is up at:
IP: 108.61.98.205
port: 7777

TE_Taman1941 Territories

Upvote 0
Dziga Vertov;n2257293 said:
Yeah, although I run everything on Ultra. I just ended up taking your suggestion though and it turned out better in the end. The thing I am constantly relearning is that you cannot force the SDK to do anything it does not want to do. The SDK giveth, and the SDK taketh away.

Have you been able to set up dynamic shadowing for your map in the meantime?

Upvote 0