• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RSTE - Sugar Loaf "WIP

Can you try reimporting the overhead? Right click and reimport it. Otherwise try to delete and start fresh with new import

Edit:
Saw your edit. Can you try importing a 512x512 just to see?

Tried reimporting, no go.

Somehow the original 1024 was replaced by 512 by 512. If I try and bring in a 1024 by 1024 it is always black. And also the overheadmap3 seems to mystically show up then as well. I have no idea.

Edit: The only fix I have found is to delete my RO2 folder in my documents, uninstall sdk, and then reinstall. That at least keeps me from crashing if I look at any newly imported overhead map. Otherwise if I import a new one it does the above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried reimporting, no go.

Somehow the original 1024 was replaced by 512 by 512. If I try and bring in a 1024 by 1024 it is always black. And also the overheadmap3 seems to mystically show up then as well. I have no idea.

Edit: The only fix I have found is to delete my RO2 folder in my documents, uninstall sdk, and then reinstall. That at least keeps me from crashing if I look at any newly imported overhead map. Otherwise if I import a new one it does the above.

According to this it is suppose to be 1024 by 1024.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=81782

I'll try saving the package Defwen, see what happens.

Upvote 0
I was one of the players who tried it out on the 40-1 server and I enjoyed playing a few rounds of it. A few players didn't seem to like it and even compared it to the map Subbase which isn't very fair. Well done JacksonL, the map feels quite unique and I like the general gritty feeling of it. There are a few minor and major flaws that I think could be adjusted, hopefully you take this as somewhat constructive criticisim.

Roles and Join a Squad-screen: For some reason the slots all get full when the server has 64 players, even the rifleman slot. I guess this can be fixed easily by adding a few more riflemen slots. The "Join a Squad"-screen seem to be quite bugged as well. Many roles are not visible in and often one or two squads doesn't show up.

Objectives: Some of the capture zones for the objectives might need some adjustments. C-objective has a really small cap zone for example which makes it damn hard for Americans to capture it since there's barely any good cover for them.

Combat zones: I'm not a big fan of the use of sparse vegetation+invisible walls as a way to block of the combat zones. It would feel more natural if there were out of bounds-limits instead. The placement of rocks along the borders makes for some really unnatural 1v1 close combats where I would have the sparse vegetation blocking me off from going around the other side of the rock and just shoot him in the back. Like this: http://imgur.com/bj21MPJ

The last part of the battle with the ridge and the tunnels are really awesome. I really wish that would last longer than it currently does!

Upvote 0
We are playing second round with full load now. now crash so far

Been playing a few rounds, nothing new to be said except that B appears on the wrong spot on the overhead map. Seems to be great otherwise.

Side note: ...and to the Japanese team that I (we) just faced for a few rounds on this map, awesome job on the repeated coordinated banzai charges. I have never seen such repeated success and so well done! :D

Upvote 0
Really nice Map. Some of us were asking if there is any chance to reduce the way for the japanese from the spawn into the cap.

I really like the environment colours and the rain. I played as American and always owned the hill but japs always capped it back.
Was a bit annoying when my teammate played as jap and started kidding me.
I became frustrated, selected the commander and called arty but hit nearly nobody. Then i first started to hate this map, and then i started to hate and Knochensack and Natrual. After the Map was finished i was Lucky i had set it to 1 round cause we play without lockdown.
I think if i have these kind of emotions it`s a good sign for this map.

Upvote 0
I've played this map a few times on the 40-1 server and I was probably one of the guys voicing displeasure! I thought it fair to offer some feedback though:

1. The map is completely brown, like Fallout 3. Is it possible to inject some colour? Did Okinawa really look like that?

2. There is hardly any hard cover for the attackers on the first four points.

3. Taking an objective and holding it is really difficult and not very fun, particularly for a new map. I prefer something like Kobura, with slightly more difficult points one after another. Perhaps the points can be locked down one taken?

4. Objective C capzone is really small and takes ~3 minutes to cap (it seems). During that time the attackers can be wiped out by grenades or arty. Suggest making it bigger and shorter.

I've never been able to play around the tunnels or the hills, as the attackers never got that far in any of the rounds I've played, but it seems like that is the funnest part of the map by reading comments!

Is it possible to re-design the map to feature much less trudging across brown open ground and more fighting for the control of tunnels and hills? Verticality adds a lot to the experience which I think is why maps like Kobura and (that other custom map with so much wire to blow up, and tunnels at the start) are so good.

Upvote 0
Did the dev just abandon the map? Still needs heaps of fixing...

I'm back, and I didn't abandon my baby :eek: !!! Moving from my last apartment, and getting surgery stopped me in my tracks but I'm back on track now! Check out my lasted update and video and also all of the fixes!

Please forgive me everyone! And if you'd still like to help me make this map better, please send me some feedback, complaints, anger, or compliments my way and I'll get to work!

Upvote 0
Thanks.
Map will be played tonight 7-8 GMT on 40-1`s RS server

MORD, I was able to get the demo video working! turns out the D on demos had to be capitalized! I learned a lot from watching the match and made quite a few more updates. I also noticed you were AFK for most of the match. The only problem with it was it crashes after a certain point, so I didn't get to see the last 9 minutes and don't know who wins after that.

Cheers

Edit 2

Just kidding, I am an idiot and need to get some sleep RSTE-SugarLoaf_v1 works fine, I just accidentally deleted a file.
we're all good!

Edit

New dropbox link. You'll have to download RSTE-SugarLoaf_v2 from dropbox. The first one had an incorrect title space, causing the game to crash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0