• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Using the WFGameInfo and other files for custom maps

CommanderShepard

Jul 2, 2014
This is guide for those who want to make maps for the new western front game type Heroes of the west.

This guide has been update for steam release version of the mod, the workshop version is no longer supported

Please remove all old workshop HOTW mod files or HOTW beta files from Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\published folder before proceeding

You can also launch hotwlauncher.exe with admin permissions in SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\Binaries\Win32 folder to clear any conflicting files

General Overview:
The process for designing map for western front is exactly similar to the way you make maps for RS or RO2. Its just everything specific to the west has been renamed with a prefix WF like RSGameInfoTerritories or ROGameInfoTerritories is WFGameInfoTerritories , ROMapInfo is WFMapInfo and so on!

Setting up SDK for the West front maps (this is one time process):

Basically you have to make SDK recognize the western front specific classes.

1.Go to Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config
2.Open ROEngine.ini
3.Scroll down until you see " [UnrealEd.EditorEngine] "
4.There add the following lines below the line "EditPackages=RSGameContent"

EditPackages=WFGame
EditPackages=WFGameContent

Example:

Before:
Code:
[UnrealEd.EditorEngine]
LocalPlayerClassName=UnrealEd.EditorPlayer
bSubtitlesEnabled=True
GridEnabled=True
SnapScaleEnabled=True
ScaleGridSize=5
SnapVertices=False
SnapDistance=10.000000
GridSize=(X=16.000000,Y=16.000000,Z=16.000000)
RotGridEnabled=True
RotGridSize=(Pitch=1024,Yaw=1024,Roll=1024)
GameCommandLine=-log
FOVAngle=90.000000
GodMode=True
AutoSaveDir=..\..\ROGame\Content\Maps\Autosaves
InvertwidgetZAxis=True
UseAxisIndicator=True
MatineeCurveDetail=0.1
Client=WinDrv.WindowsClient
CurrentGridSz=4
bUseMayaCameraControls=True
bPrefabsLocked=True
HeightMapExportClassName=TerrainHeightMapExporterTextT3D
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorMeshes
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorMaterials
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorResources
EditPackagesInPath=..\..\Development\Src
EditPackages=Core
EditPackages=Engine
EditPackages=GFxUI
EditPackages=GameFramework
EditPackages=Grip
EditPackages=UnrealEd
EditPackages=GFxUIEditor
EditPackages=IpDrv
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemPC
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemGameSpy
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemLive
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks
bBuildReachSpecs=FALSE
bCustomCameraAlignEmitter=TRUE
CustomCameraAlignEmitterDistance=100.0
EditPackagesOutPath=..\..\ROGame\Script
FRScriptOutputPath=..\..\ROGame\ScriptFinalRelease
EditPackages=ROGame
EditPackages=ROGameContent
EditPackages=RSGame
EditPackages=RSGameContent
EditPackages=WebAdmin
InEditorGameURLOptions=

After:
Code:
[UnrealEd.EditorEngine]
LocalPlayerClassName=UnrealEd.EditorPlayer
bSubtitlesEnabled=True
GridEnabled=True
SnapScaleEnabled=True
ScaleGridSize=5
SnapVertices=False
SnapDistance=10.000000
GridSize=(X=16.000000,Y=16.000000,Z=16.000000)
RotGridEnabled=True
RotGridSize=(Pitch=1024,Yaw=1024,Roll=1024)
GameCommandLine=-log
FOVAngle=90.000000
GodMode=True
AutoSaveDir=..\..\ROGame\Content\Maps\Autosaves
InvertwidgetZAxis=True
UseAxisIndicator=True
MatineeCurveDetail=0.1
Client=WinDrv.WindowsClient
CurrentGridSz=4
bUseMayaCameraControls=True
bPrefabsLocked=True
HeightMapExportClassName=TerrainHeightMapExporterTextT3D
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorMeshes
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorMaterials
EditorOnlyContentPackages=EditorResources
EditPackagesInPath=..\..\Development\Src
EditPackages=Core
EditPackages=Engine
EditPackages=GFxUI
EditPackages=GameFramework
EditPackages=Grip
EditPackages=UnrealEd
EditPackages=GFxUIEditor
EditPackages=IpDrv
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemPC
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemGameSpy
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemLive
EditPackages=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks
bBuildReachSpecs=FALSE
bCustomCameraAlignEmitter=TRUE
CustomCameraAlignEmitterDistance=100.0
EditPackagesOutPath=..\..\ROGame\Script
FRScriptOutputPath=..\..\ROGame\ScriptFinalRelease
EditPackages=ROGame
EditPackages=ROGameContent
EditPackages=RSGame
EditPackages=RSGameContent[COLOR="Red"]
EditPackages=WFGame
EditPackages=WFGameContent[/COLOR]
EditPackages=WebAdmin
InEditorGameURLOptions=

This is required so that SDK knows what script packages to load in SDK as west front is not already a integrated game type.

There all done you are all set to go

NOTES:

1.Some of the classes have not been modified because they were not needed to be modified yet. So in that case you must use the RS versions of those classes or RO versions if RS version does not exist

Example :
You will not have WFPlayerStart so you must use RSPlayerStart or ROPlayerStart because all three use the exact same code

same applies for say WFWaterVolume you must use RSWaterVolume for that

2.You can set uniforms for the allies in the WFMapInfo allies section! The voice and menu icons will change to british automatically if you choose a british uniform.

3.You can also set custom victory and loss music for axis and allies in allies and axis sections in map info

For any further questions you can post them here

Last edited:
Followed your instructions although I have one question.

I do no have a Unpublished\CookedPC\Script folder.

I created one and added the necessary files.

I also added the files directly to the Unpublished\CookedPC File just to try it that way also.

When I launch the SDK I get an alert that Scripts are outdated.

The WF Items are available in the World Properties Menu, however when I try to "Play from Here" in SDK the game lets me choose Germans or US and my role, then SDK crashes once I move to first person view (no weapon in hand). I can observe either team no problem but cant spawn as a player.

I can play WF-Donner and WF-Apartments in the SDK without a problem so I am sure it is something in my settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Followed your instructions although I have one question.

I do no have a Unpublished\CookedPC\Script folder.

I created one and added the necessary files.

I also added the files directly to the Unpublished\CookedPC File just to try it that way also.

When I launch the SDK I get an alert that Scripts are outdated.

The WF Items are available in the World Properties Menu, however when I try to "Play from Here" in SDK the game lets me choose Germans or US and my role, then SDK crashes once I move to first person view (no weapon in hand). I can observe either team no problem but cant spawn as a player.

I can play WF-Donner and WF-Apartments in the SDK without a problem so I am sure it is something in my settings.

My bad OP has been corrected ! remove the mod packages lines you have added in ROEditor.ini and add them as said in ROEngine.ini

Upvote 0
My bad OP has been corrected ! remove the mod packages lines you have added in ROEditor.ini and add them as said in ROEngine.ini

Great! Now what about that Script folder in Unpublished/CookedPC?

Should I add it or just put the files in The CookedPC Folder?

Im getting the following error when loading the WF Maps:

Can't find file for package 'WFGame_AUD' while loading ..\..\ROGame\BrewedPC\WFGame.u
Can't find file for package 'WFGameCustom' while loading ..\..\ROGame\BrewedPC\WFGame.u
Can't find file for package 'WFGame_AUD' while loading NULL
Can't find file for package 'WFGameCustom' while loading NULL

Which seems to reference a different file path than the OP lists?

\ROGame\BrewedPC only exists in....

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\BrewedPC

Commander Shepard, Friend me on Steam and we can chat: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197973892756

Update: I fixed the package loading errors. But still crashing when trying to test level inside SDK

WF-Donner and WF-Apartments play fine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have sorted out the lack of roles displaying in the WorldInfo Window but still encountering a crash when I try to spawn any of the roles while testing the level in the SDK.

I am receiving the following errors in my log when I CTD:
Code:
Fatal error!

Address = 0x417293a2 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x41732b6a (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e5e4b (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e04da (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e4341 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401ebf2e (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x40450169 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x407b48eb (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x40557a25 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x411789bf (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x412911ba (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4167d17f (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4167d8b6 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0xa0965e   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x9441ce   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x1060783  (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0xa1b784   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x416813d7 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4168149a (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x7669ad2  (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll]
Address = 0xa7e30f1c (filename not found)

I get this same error no matter which role I choose.

Is there some other setting in World Properties that needs to be changed. I even named my map "WF-mapname"

Upvote 0
I have sorted out the lack of roles displaying in the WorldInfo Window but still encountering a crash when I try to spawn any of the roles while testing the level in the SDK.

I am receiving the following errors in my log when I CTD:
Code:
Fatal error!

Address = 0x417293a2 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x41732b6a (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e5e4b (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e04da (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401e4341 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x401ebf2e (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x40450169 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x407b48eb (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x40557a25 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x411789bf (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x412911ba (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4167d17f (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4167d8b6 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0xa0965e   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x9441ce   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x1060783  (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0xa1b784   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom_64.dll]
Address = 0x416813d7 (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x4168149a (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win64\rogame.exe]
Address = 0x7669ad2  (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll]
Address = 0xa7e30f1c (filename not found)

I get this same error no matter which role I choose.

Is there some other setting in World Properties that needs to be changed. I even named my map "WF-mapname"

This happens if there are not enough roles on both sides compared to amount of bots or players

Upvote 0
This happens if there are not enough roles on both sides compared to amount of bots or players

BOOM! You were right. I added at least 10 Role Slots to each Faction and spawned No Probs. Now lets get back to designing levels. Thanks Shepard!

Also this is a real Noob error, but another factor that was crashing the SDK was that I did not have my ROObjective actor atttached to an ROPlaceableVolume. Once I added this I had no problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0