• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Swapping weapon meshes?

Mr. Pickle

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 1, 2014
Hi guys, got a major modding question, and was hoping you guys would have an answer for me.

I LOVE RS, although I'm a tad disappointed at the lack of the Winchester 1897 trench shotgun (my favorite gun).
Yeah, there's the Winchester M1912, but it just doesn't cut it for me. There's something about how an 1897 looks that I just prefer over the 1912.

Now, as far as I know, Killing Floor has an M1897 in it (I think its called the "Trench Gun"). And since it also runs on the Unreal Engine (as far as I know), I was wondering how hard it would be to replace the M1912 mesh in RS with the M1897 mesh from KF. The shooting/loading/pumping animation would remain the same, I just want to know if its possible to put a new mesh over an existing weapon. Also, if it is, would I be able to play online with it?

I don't even know if its possible, but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

It is possible to reuse the mesh, however there may be issues with the animations. I don't know if animations can be used between the games because I really don't know much about them.

EDIT: Reread your post and saw that you would reuse the animations. In that case, yes this should be possible. You will have some difficulty skinning the model however, you must essentially copy the bone weights from the Model 12's skeleton. PM me and I can walk you through how I did this with some of the weapons already in the game.

Also, the weapon would need to be coded into the game. The simplest way would be to extend the Model 12's content class and replace the meshes in the ROSkeletalMeshComponents. Then you would perform some role and weapon selection magic to allow the new weapon's selection.

The last bit is a problem I'm working to solve in the Immersion Overhaul Mutator, actually. I have gotten new weapons with meshes I modified (for example, removing the bayonet from the PEM sniper model) into the game but only in single player as of now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Jpz38 Hetzer Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to know. Kinda sucks about the server side thing though, since I was looking forward to trying it online :C

@dibbler67 I appreciate your willingness to guide me through it, but I confess that I'm not much of a modder myself. I was just curious about whether it was possible or not. On top of that, I don't own Killing Floor (but I think I'm a bit overdue on changing that haha).

I know a fair amount about modeling, texturing, rigging and animating in Maya, but I'm assuming that you need a more specific program to do something along these lines. And that's not to even mention coding, which I haven't got the slightest clue about.

However, if this IS possible to do in something like Maya, I'd probably be up to the task of giving it a shot. I love me my 1897.

I guess I'd be content with single player only availability, too. Can't imagine how it would be implemented into servers, so thats the option I'm stuck with.

Thank you for your time,
Mr. Pickle

Upvote 0
@Jpz38 Hetzer Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to know. Kinda sucks about the server side thing though, since I was looking forward to trying it online :C

@dibbler67 I appreciate your willingness to guide me through it, but I confess that I'm not much of a modder myself. I was just curious about whether it was possible or not. On top of that, I don't own Killing Floor (but I think I'm a bit overdue on changing that haha).

I know a fair amount about modeling, texturing, rigging and animating in Maya, but I'm assuming that you need a more specific program to do something along these lines. And that's not to even mention coding, which I haven't got the slightest clue about.

However, if this IS possible to do in something like Maya, I'd probably be up to the task of giving it a shot. I love me my 1897.

I guess I'd be content with single player only availability, too. Can't imagine how it would be implemented into servers, so thats the option I'm stuck with.

Thank you for your time,
Mr. Pickle

Actually everything I've done with weapon modelling/animating I did with Maya! One need simply export the relevant file from the game packages using a program like umodel (the SDK doesn't seem to do it correctly) in the proper format (.fbx).

You would export both the 1897 model and RS's Model 12 model.

Then you have to bind the 1897 model to the Model 12's bones (creating a new skin), and then copy all the animation weights from the Model 12 skin to the newly created 1897 skin. Delete the Model 12 model from your scene, and presto you can export your new weapon as .fbx.

This is how I removed the sight hood from the bayonet-less K98 too. It works perfectly as far as I know when the meshes are nearly identical (as was the case with mine) but I don't know what would happen in your case.

My mod is becoming a sort of community content amalgamation (I'm working on adding new weapons to online play so that I can include new weapons others have already created) so if you can produce something we both feel is worthy of being in the game I can add it in for you.

Upvote 0
Whelp, I gave it my best shot, but unfortunately, I'm no modder :C

Surprisingly, the M1897 overlayed the M12 model almost perfectly, so skinning it wasn't that hard at all.

However, when I tried to export it back into Milkshape to convert it to a .psk, the program either crashes or the joints are rotated 90 degrees off of the gun.

On top of this, I have no idea how to go about messing around with the textures, since the texture map for the M12 is completely different from the M97 (plus the M12 has alot of normal, specular, and diffuse maps that the M97 does not). I also have no idea how to create an RO2 mutator to use it in-game either.

I gave it a good effort, but think I have to abandon it and just be satisfied with the M97 in KF lol

Thank you for the help!

Upvote 0