• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing with two RO2 instances, on one computer, on one server

-=THOR=-

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I need to make tests that require two players, but I don't want to rely on the availabilities of humans, mainly because I need to do tons of tests at any time. And these tests require to be in the context of a dedicated server. I went through two possibilities without success so far.

1) Launch two instances of the game with the command-line.
I was able to launch two instances, but when I connect the 2nd instance on the server, the 1st instance gets disconnected.

2) Use a virtual machine with a 2nd steam account.
a. I used VMWare Player. I need to check "Accelerate 3D graphics" to prevent the game from crashing on the guest. I can play without issues, separately. However, if I launch RO2 on the host, and on the guest, there are graphics issues. For instance, the guest becomes unable to load scenes properly, or the graphics freeze (although i can still move), until I close the RO2 instance on the host, so not a big success.

b. I used VirtualBox. When launching the game, it crashes, and I get the following error:
[0000.96] Critical: appError called: Alpha blending with D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F is not supported, which is required to run this game.

Do you guys have any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Finally found a solution. The following video explains for TF2 farmers, but the instructions can be used to load two RO2 instances and play on one server. Basically, the 2nd RO2 instance in inside a virtual restricted area of the computer, and has its own resources. So the 2nd instance cannot see the 1st one, which allows to log on two accounts at the same time. It's much simpler than having a virtual machine, and there is no 3D issues, although the FPS is not high, but that is of no interest to me.

Setup Instructions:

1. Install SandBoxie.
  2. In your program files, next to Steam, create a second steam folder, called SteamBoxed.
  3. Copy everything from your Steam folder (except the SteamApps folder) to your SteamBoxed folder.
  4. With Steam/SteamApps as the source, create a symbolic link called SteamApps in your SteamBoxed folder (see the vid for details).
  5. Launch Sandboxie.
  6. Create a new Sandbox, call it SteamBoxed.
  7. Right-click the sandbox and open the Settings.
  8. Under Restrictions/Drop Rights, uncheck "Drop Rights" and apply.
  9. Resource Access/File Access/Direct Access, add these 3 entries with the "Add" button (NOT "Add Program).
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamBoxed
    • %Personal%\My Games\RedOrchestra2
  10. Click OK
  11. Set your server to LAN in the webadmin
Usage Instructions:

1. Start Steam
  2. Launch your RO2 Server
  3. Set Steam in Offline Mode
  4. Launch the first RO2 Client
  5. In Sandboxie, right-click SteamBoxed.
  6. Click Run Sandboxed
  7. Click Run Windows Explorer
  8. Navigate to your SteamBoxed folder.
  9. Execute Steam.exe
  10. Login with your account.
  11. Launch the second RO2 Client.
I strongly suggest that you also view the video, although the steps are different.

TF2: Multiple Account Idling // Symbolic Link Method HD - YouTube

Someone also suggested to use two windows sessions. It's not a bad idea, but probably harder to toggle between one client and the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0