• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersion Overhaul Mutator Information

Hey dibbler. I love your mutator. Adds alot of immersion to the game. I made a video on my channel to help you promote the mod/mutator. I hope it gets big!

Video link: Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 - dibbler67 & Howitzer114 Sound Mutator - YouTube

Thank you very much, I enjoyed watching your impressions! If you don't mind my asking, are your performance issues because of fraps or do you have them running the mutator in general?

This mod is glorious. I've noticed the ppsh on semi automatic still has the original sounds by the way

Yes, this is on purpose for now. I've found that on certain weapons with looping sounds changing the single shot sound can have weird effects. The C96 and MG34 have this issue, and the Maxim is currently broken because of it. I have an idea for a fix.

One more thing worth mentioning is that distance delay won't work with the looping sounds. Kind of annoying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm currently working on editing together a video to show off some of the effects. May have to redownload sony vegas... WMM is fairly poor :D

EDIT: Also I'm starting to agree on the death side of things. I love how long we spend in our body now, but the black is a little bit much. Perhaps we could simply settle for desaturation or a little bit more gamma instead of the complete pitch blackness. For headshots a sudden, seizure inducing flash of white then back to normal would be interesting, and a LOUD sound effect. I'd love to leap out of my chair after being hit in the head! (The crunch -> leak sound I'm not such a fan of)

If possible (And I'm only asking because you're godlike with this stuff), after slowdeathing you shouldn't have to sit and wait again. Oh, and can the amount of time a body spends ragdolled before suddenly becoming stiff be lengthened or is that in the exe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm currently working on editing together a video to show off some of the effects. May have to redownload sony vegas... WMM is fairly poor :D

EDIT: Also I'm starting to agree on the death side of things. I love how long we spend in our body now, but the black is a little bit much. Perhaps we could simply settle for desaturation or a little bit more gamma instead of the complete pitch blackness. For headshots a sudden, seizure inducing flash of white then back to normal would be interesting, and a LOUD sound effect. I'd love to leap out of my chair after being hit in the head! (The crunch -> leak sound I'm not such a fan of)

If possible (And I'm only asking because you're godlike with this stuff), after slowdeathing you shouldn't have to sit and wait again. Oh, and can the amount of time a body spends ragdolled before suddenly becoming stiff be lengthened or is that in the exe?

Oooh I like that headshot idea. I agree that the current one is a bit too long.

For the rag dolls that may be possible.

Upvote 0
This is great great work, I WANT THIS WHITLISTED :D I just hope you get some of those sounds tweaked a bit more, because when you stop firing the sounds just seem to snap off, youd expect there to be a bit of far fading echo from the gunshots and artillery. I have noticed this to be common with nearly all soundmods in different games..

I noticed this especially woth the ppsh and mg 34, the new sounds are awesome, but it sounds bit odd when you stop firing and the sound pretty much just snaps..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is great great work, I WANT THIS WHITLISTED :D I just hope you get some of those sounds tweaked a bit more, because when you stop firing the sounds just seem to snap off, youd expect there to be a bit of far fading echo from the gunshots and artillery. I have noticed this to be common with nearly all soundmods in different games..

I noticed this especially woth the ppsh and mg 34, the new sounds are awesome, but it sounds bit odd when you stop firing and the sound pretty much just snaps..

Yup, another recurring problem with looping sounds. Seems more common in 3rd person. I feel like I noticed this with the ppsh in the original game too

Upvote 0
Hey Dibbler, another tip: maybe it's an idea to make it so that when you get shot you can still hear yourself die? I'm thinking when you die, muffle the gunshots and world sounds just like it is now, but make it so your death moan is unmuffled, like the last thing you hear. That could be very immersive I think. If there's a long death moan, I kinda wanna hear it. It always bothered me that I was just yanked straight out of my corpse to look at another player half a second after being shot.

Oh and keep it up! You're doing a great job. Kinda makes me wonder what the hell Tripwire is always doing if you can make what you did in such a short amount of time.

Upvote 0
Hey Dibbler, another tip: maybe it's an idea to make it so that when you get shot you can still hear yourself die? I'm thinking when you die, muffle the gunshots and world sounds just like it is now, but make it so your death moan is unmuffled, like the last thing you hear. That could be very immersive I think. If there's a long death moan, I kinda wanna hear it. It always bothered me that I was just yanked straight out of my corpse to look at another player half a second after being shot.

Oh and keep it up! You're doing a great job. Kinda makes me wonder what the hell Tripwire is always doing if you can make what you did in such a short amount of time.

To be fair I've repurposed a lot of the games code to my own ends. Being a modder is much easier than being a creator ;)

I've left voices at full volume when you're dying. Unfortunately your own voice is in the same sound class as your buddies, so you'll still hear them talking and dying when you do. I could make a new sound class and play a death sound just for you so to speak, but it wouldn't be what everyone else hears and that seems an imperfect solution.

Cwivey, thankfully the explosion volume was easy to implement, however weapons will be a while because I haven't created new weapon classes yet. This means I can't have configurable options for clients on a per weapon basis, all weapons would be reduced to the same volume and you'd lose a lot of dynamic range.

This isn't a problem with explosives because each explosive has its volume multiplied by the multiplier individually, so they maintain their relative volumes.

Upvote 0
How does one get a hold of this?

Steam Workshop page for RO2, it's the RO2 - RS Sound Mutator. Simply subscribe and run the game, and it will download for you. It's accessible in the in game Steam Workshop menu, and there may be 1-2 unranked servers running it too.

I'd give you a link but my Internet access during the week is limited to my phone once again :(

Upvote 0
Consistently or just when running the mutator?

You may try looking in your documents and deleting all relevant files and then starting the game. A clean install so to speak

Just when running the mutator, but I'm sure a clean install would solve it...im pretty rubbish when it comes to this sort of thing, could you please tell me what sort of files i should be looking for and where?

Upvote 0
Just when running the mutator, but I'm sure a clean install would solve it...im pretty rubbish when it comes to this sort of thing, could you please tell me what sort of files i should be looking for and where?
Sure!

Documents:

Red Orchestra 2/ROGame/CookedPC/Published/

Find everything labeled sound mutator in this dir if any, as well as the scripts and packages dirs found in it. One .u and 5-6 .upk. I don't think you need worry about the .int and .ini files.

Upvote 0
Sure!

Documents:

Red Orchestra 2/ROGame/CookedPC/Published/

Find everything labeled sound mutator in this dir if any, as well as the scripts and packages dirs found in it. One .u and 5-6 .upk. I don't think you need worry about the .int and .ini files.

That's odd....there is no packages folder, and when I unsubscribe from the mod, it still remains in the in-game workshop...consider me confuzzled

Upvote 0
That's odd....there is no packages folder, and when I unsubscribe from the mod, it still remains in the in-game workshop...consider me confuzzled

Check unpublished too? This is why workshop is a pain, to upload I put my stuff in a specific hierarchy in the main install dir, not documents. I don't know where it installs for users, really. And yes I believe it staying after you unsubscribe is another Workshop thing.

Upvote 0