• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersion Overhaul Mutator Information

Too strong recoil in prone position. Big recoil is not realism, soldiers usually know how to shoot a rifle.

Carist,
I don't know anything about your background so pardon me if I'm a little too simplistic in my presentation...

Trying to compare youtube videos with 'down the sight' views of RO2 just doesn't work. I really don't understand why people keep posting youtube videos as proof of too much recoil in the game.

Consider the following.
How much must a rifle barrel recoil to change its point of impact?
I've already done the math (but feel free to pencil it out for yourself)

In yards, inches and feet.
At 100 yds a recoil of 0.6 inches will affect the downrange impact 5 feet.
At 200 yds a recoil of 0.6 inches will be 10 feet.

Likewise:
At 100 yds a recoil of 1.2 inches will affect the downrange impact 10 feet.
At 200 yds a recoil of 1.2 inches will affect the downrange impact 20 feet.

In meters.
At 100 meters recoil of 10 mm will affect the downrange impact 1 meter.
At 200 meters a recoil of 10 mm will be 2 meters.

Likewise:
At 100 meters a recoil of 20 mm will affect the downrange impact 2 meters.
At 200 meters a recoil of 20 mm will affect the downrange impact 20 meters.

Now look at your youtube footage and tell me the end of the barrel is moving less than that. When looking down the sights, a little bit of sway goes a long way......

I won't say that some of the recoil may be a little over the top, but as with any aspect of the game, it will get easier to predict and manipulate the more its played. Add to that the effect of the recoil, the jarring of the face, the loss of vision from jarring, smoke, etc. and you can see where on the battlefield its not as easy as just clicking the mouse button.

Upvote 0
Are you planning to change the tommy gun sound?

I'd like to. I dislike the stock sound. The problem is getting a hold of decent looping sounds.

Creating them myself is possible, but difficult. I am proud of my mg34 sound; a little less so of the ppsh.

What is y'all's opinion of the nade sound? I've been listening exclusively on a pair of Grados and I find it a little underwhelming. I'm cooking up a version I like better.

Upvote 0
I'd like to. I dislike the stock sound. The problem is getting a hold of decent looping sounds.

Creating them myself is possible, but difficult. I am proud of my mg34 sound; a little less so of the ppsh.

What is y'all's opinion of the nade sound? I've been listening exclusively on a pair of Grados and I find it a little underwhelming. I'm cooking up a version I like better.

I tried this the other day, I thought the grenades were terrifying. :)

Upvote 0
Too strong recoil in prone position. Big recoil is not realism, soldiers usually know how to shoot a rifle.

Basically before I set about the mod I went out and shot a few weapons of similar caliber to those in the game. The videos do not demonstrate what you see through your eyes, and additionally, the man firing the SVT-40 is controlling the recoil.

In the mod, recoil is high because you are supposed to control it yourself. In RO2, recoil is low because your "avatar" is already controlling it (even more as you progress on your weapon), yet you can still further control it as the player, basically leading to no recoil at all. I want players to have to do things themselves as much as possible, kinda like in real life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Basically before I set about the mod I went out and shot a few weapons of similar caliber to those in the game. The videos do not demonstrate what you see through your eyes, and additionally, the man firing the SVT-40 is controlling the recoil.

In the mod, recoil is high because you are supposed to control it yourself. In RO2, recoil is low because your "avatar" is already controlling it (even more as you progress on your weapon), yet you can still further control it as the player, basically leading to no recoil at all. I want players to have to do things themselves as much as possible, kinda like in real life.

Yeah, there always should be at least some minor mouse input to adjust for recoil on subsequent shots although I will admit ROOST was a little on the extreme end for this.

Upvote 0
Yup. Semi automatics feel great.

I'd like to ask again but... What is the opinion of the aerial reconnaissance commander clicky? I hate it, to be honest, sticks out like a sore thumb in a mutator that is progressively becoming something amazing. It wasn't needed in Ostfront to land artillery; a player simply needed some intelligent thinking and communications on troop build-up. I would love to see it disabled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd love to see recon as a configurable feature, I don't like it either, rely on communication from your teammates to give you intel. It would reward teams that communicate.

PJ, have you made any adjustments to RS weapons at this point? I know you were waiting initially, and I've been asked if there have been changes. Most players think recoil has been reduced on the M1 and carbine. I haven't played with either enough to notice.

I love the nades, the sound is far better than stock, my only small quibble would be that they sound very much like the arty * boom * and they all sound the same. Not knowing any better, I'd expect different types of nades to sound different and not quite the same as arty. I'll happily take them like they are though. :)

Upvote 0