• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A true spiritual sucessor to RO1 ?

katzcinsky

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

I was browsing the mod forums and I began thinking - if there are so many of us who feel that RO2 was not what the ROOST fans wanted, why don't we make a mod for ourselves ? What I'm imagining is a total repackaging of RO2 from the base game. We could:

> Collaborate on designing one, and only one, realism mode. Making sure it is compatible with all game types.
> Remove character/weapon progression, historically inaccurate weapons
> Redesign splash screens / some menu items to get rid of the "action" flavor. (that opening splash of the elite german soldier with a bayonetted mkb42 makes me shudder - how about some riflemen in a realistic setting, without the flashy graphic design?)
> Try to find the best of both worlds - try and bring RO2 back to the historically accurate, tactical, and hardcore game ROOST was, while keeping some of the new features (like the cover system).
> We could add features/content as we see fit, but more or less this mod tries to strengthen the game's core.

I was thinking we could call the mod: "Red Orchestra: Stalingrad 42-43" .. maybe we could even get it as a mod on Steam ?

I know there's already alot of debate as to what RO2 should be. I guess all i'm proposing is that, if TWI wants to make their game - why don't we make our own ?

Last edited:
Much like DH and MN as they used the RO formula in their own setting. This mod would attempt to bring back the ROOST feeling into it's sequel, while retaining the focus on Stalingrad.

I certainly don't think it would be impossible. It's just a matter of coding/scripting the game to meet the needs of RO fans. Visuals / enhancements would be secondary but they are also possible. Another thing I might consider is trying to recreate some animations for a few weapons - increasing their fidelity and the like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0