• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What the community is up to - Vehicles ;)

Panzer 4 variations, say some letters! Maybe we blitz-mod it :D.

JgPz 4... Why not a Jagdpanzer 38t or Ferdi? :D...Not even Hetzer... Still German Panzers are a problem for us... We dont have ideas for.

You are looking for the best Panzer IV variants to model?

1) Pz IV F1 - 464 built. KWK37 L/24 short barrel, low velocity 75mm main gun, 50mm thick frontal armour, 30mm thick side armour 22.3t weight - This variant was present at Stalingard in some numbers and could stand in for all the early-model PzIVs used in the Russian campaign from 1941 (should modders decide to build maps from that period).

2) Pz IV H - lots built. KWK40 L/48 long-barrel, high velocity 75mm gun, Single-piece 80mm front glacis, spare track links on brackets on the front glacis, single round hatch for the commander's cupola (up-armoured), Zimmerit anti-mine paste on all vertical surfaces, and most importantly, the Schurzen armour skirts (5mm side skirts, 8mm turret skirt) 25t weight and slightly reduced mobility due to weaker transmission - This is the iconic Pz IV from RO1 and was the one used at the battle of the Kursk (you've got to start working on that some time) and the long retreat back to Germany. This variant is useful for so many possible maps! It is also markedly different in appearance from the PzIVG we have in game because of the side skirts, adding some nice variety to the battlefield. If you could program the side skirts to fall off in sections when hit (like they do in Iron Front) that would be epic. This variant is useful for 1943 and 1944 maps.

3)Pz IV J - lots built. Fixed the mobility issues of the Aus H., manually operated turret instead of electrical (electrical system space was used for an extra fuel tank), no pistol/vision ports in turret, simplified radiator housing, different mufflers (2 flame supressing ones instead of the cylinderical one), 3 return rollers only, wire-mesh side skirts instead of plates - This was the 1944/45 production model useful for late war maps (like Rakowice for example) and if Rising Storm content was used to make Western front maps from Normandy. Please note that Zimmerit was no longer in use by late 1944 so if you decide to use a skin for that, maybe make Zimmerit and Zimmerit-less skins for this one.

4)STuGIV - 1140 Built. KWK40 L/48 long-barrel, high velocity 75mm gun, PzIV chassis with the armoured superstructure of the STuGIII, MG34 with a shield on top of the superstructure, 23t weight (lighter than the StuGIII G!) - Historically this wasn't as numerous as the STuGIII but was known for being an effective tank-killer on the Ostfront. Since we don't know how long we'll be waiting for the PzIII (and any variants thereof like the STuGIII) to come from TWI, making this or Jagdpanzer IV should be a priority (keeping in mind that the STuGIV and JPIV are both 1944/45 models. Tank destroyers were heavily used by the Wehrmacht

5)Jagdpanzer IV - ~2000 built. More common that the STuGIV and built in several variants in 1944/45(Jagdpanzer IV - KWK40 L/48, Jagdpanzer IV/70(V) super low profile sexiest looking JPIV with the lethal PaK42 L/70 from the Panther tank and the Jagdpanzer IV/70 (A) also with the PaK42 but with a 40cm taller superstructure. The argument for the Jagdpanzer is the same as for the STuGIV above with the Jagpanzer IV/70(V) being the most common variant. Early examples had Zimmerit applied while later vehicle dispensed with the muzzle brake which apparently kicked up a large dust cloud with each firing (the gun was so close to the ground).

6)Panzerbefehlswagen IV (Pz.Bef.Wg. IV) command tank - 105 built from PzIVJ and refurbished chasses. Features a radio and reduced ammo stowage

7)Sturmpanzer 43 (2nd Series)- The so-called "Brummbaer" 150mm StuH43 L/12 anti-infantry gun! Zimmerit used until Sep, 1944. 306 units built.

I hope this helps,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
If you're looking for other German tanks to make, the big ones (numerically speaking) are:
Tiger I
Panther Aus D, Aus A and Aus G in that order chronologically...!
Pz II F
Pz III J/J1/L/N
STuGIII Aus F8/G and maybe one of the short-barrelled variants (Aus D or E?)
Jagdpanzer 38(t) (Hetzer)
Marder II

Produced in smaller numbers (<500 units):
Jagdpanther
Tiger Aus B (Tiger II or Koenigstiger).
Elefant(Ferdinand)
Jagdtiger
Marder I
Marder III
Nashorn
Grille
Pz II L Luchs

I'm probably forgetting some...

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with allowing custom map makers to expand to the rest of the war using these suggested vehicles. ;)

That was my thinking :). If you're concentrating on JUST stalingrad the list is as follows:

1)PzIVF1 (This is probably the easiest to model - different main gun and slightly thinner armor from the PzIVG)

2)PzIIIJ & J1 (The J1 was the most numerous German tank at Stalingrad by a significant margin)

3)STuGIII E & F (not the F/8)

4)PzIIF (maybe? I don't think there were many of these at Stalingrad - It's the best German match for the T-70 promised by TWI back in the day)

5)Marder II (This uses a PzII chassis and is the best match for Szeder's SU-76)

The PzIIIJ1 is an absolute must have for Stalingrad with the PzIIIJ, PzIVF1, STuGIIIE & F and Marder II being only a little less so. The PzII could probably be omitted because the vehicle team is building a sdkfz222 for reconnaissance duties. Some of these variants could also be made for use with RO2's levelling system (make just a PzIIIJ but level up to PzIIIJ1 at lvl 25 or maybe Marder II with Russian PaK36(r) to start and then get the better PaK40 at lvl 25).

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was my thinking :). If you're concentrating on JUST stalingrad the list is as follows:

1)PzIVF1 (This is probably the easiest to model - different main gun and slightly thinner armor from the PzIVG)

2)PzIIIJ & J1 (The J1 was the most numerous German tank at Stalingrad by a significant margin)

3)STuGIII E & F (not the F/8)

4)PzIIF (maybe? I don't think there were many of these at Stalingrad - It's the best German match for the T-70 promised by TWI back in the day)

5)Marder II (This uses a PzII chassis and is the best match for Szeder's SU-76)

The PzIIIJ1 is an absolute must have for Stalingrad with the PzIIIJ, PzIVF1, STuGIIIE & F and Marder II being only a little less so. The PzII could probably be omitted because the vehicle team is building a sdkfz222 for reconnaissance duties. Some of these variants could also be made for use with RO2's levelling system (make just a PzIIIJ but level up to PzIIIJ1 at lvl 25 or maybe Marder II with Russian PaK36(r) to start and then get the better PaK40 at lvl 25).

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

1. Different Main Gun=>
I. Different model I have one L24 Gun :p
II. Different ammo, something "half" the length of the L48
III. Need new reloading anim, I think the gun sight was different too, so another lean in anim for our crew... Maybe other modifications in tank

2. Panzer 3 is a tank that should be ingame...
3. If there is a panzer 3, it will be modified by modders, I think :rolleyes:
4. Oh hell no...
5. Personally im a great fan of Marder series... still stugs are better.

Upvote 0
@Unterscharfuhrer: This IS on topic :), Szeder (vehicle team member) asked for and got some opinions on future German armour projects for the vehicle team.

@Szeder: You're correct about the PzIV F1 changes...I'll see if I can find some refs for you, if you like. Might I also suggest that incorporating some tank-rider spots (places for infantry to hitch a ride) on the back of the PzIVF1 might be a good idea. On maps where both the PzIVG & PzIVF1 are available this feature may encourage people to use this otherwise less-effective variant tactically. I also agree with you about the STuGIII vs. Marder II situation. The STuG has better survivability and would be far more popular online than the Marder. The Marder is really best for large, open maps whereas the STuG can be used in medium sized tank and CA maps without too much trouble. If there are limited resources available for a German Assault Gun/Tank destroyer, the STuG should come first. I had the less-versatile Marder II on my list because it was present in the Stalingrad area historically (and it's the German counterpart to your SU-76 ;)).

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Speaking of Russian tanks, few people if any have tossed forward any suggestions in this category, so I'd just like to suggest the BT-7 if we're talking Stalingrad-period only. I recall seeing a T-26 in progress somewhere as well at some point...

Hah, guess who made that, it was stopped, as the 38t tank model, as my BT7.

you want to see the video... its really uber alpha... my first trying of a tank.
rogame 2012-01-24 01-05-30-61.mp4 - YouTube

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0