• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Model 39 Grenade Project - Cpt-Praxius:

Yep...... they're called "tripwires" and they were quite effective. Still in use today. That's how effective they are.

Yeah, I've actually setup quite a few claymores, both training and live. These m-39 seem to work on the same triggering principle, although a bit more rudimentary. Still see this exact thing done with various grenades in Afghanistan today (and even more in Iraq while we were there). Kick in a door and BOOM.

My guess would be that they used the red capped grenades with the 1 second fuse..... and while it probably wouldn't be impossible to add into the game, those traps would be equally deadly to both the enemy and your team.... and while one could use some highlighting effect for team mates, that wouldn't be all that real. Though it would have to force players to communicate better by telling their team that they rigged a specific area, and where so their team mates didn't wander through blindly and kill themselves.

I also have a few ideas on what I may do with the Molotovs and which classes would get them, etc.... but I'll do another thread specifically for the Molotov when I start working on that.

I have to admit I'm kind of playing devil's advocate, because I'm not sure I'd want them to have this ability in RO2... but wouldn't it be possible to show in the map and tactical view where a boobytrap is setup in order to alert players on your own team?

Upvote 0
I have to admit I'm kind of playing devil's advocate, because I'm not sure I'd want them to have this ability in RO2... but wouldn't it be possible to show in the map and tactical view where a boobytrap is setup in order to alert players on your own team?

Well I don't see why not.... but it's start to move a bit into the "COD" of things imo.... perhaps if what was done was to have it noted on the map, but generalized on location kind of like how the enemy spotting is soon going to work like.... where in "This General Area" you have to watch your step, but it's not clearly noted.... thus forcing players to use their eyes and watch where they're going.

But I'd much prefer not to have that kind of thing in at all, as without such a system, those rigging up the booby trap would be more enticed to better communicate with their team, or face having some TK's under their belt, as well as dropped honor.

And one thing this game needs more of, is more communication between team mates.

Added:

As an update, I have made a few more modifications to the model since last I put up a screen shot. I have refined the design of the wing nut, smoothed the edges a bit more, as well as curved the ends. I also improved the texture that was used on the Wing Nut and begun working on the belt ring on the bottom.

But I've also been pretty busy and haven't put up a screen shot yet. Once I finish up the belt ring, I'll throw up an updated screenshot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
trips

trips

lol I'd say no tripwires. I've played lots of Project reality and even with marked mines on the map, 3D VIOP and the ability to crawl past them about 70-90% of the insurgents TKs are by mines and grenade traps.
People seem to like to run around not looking where they are headed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lol I'd say no tripwires. I've played lots of Project reality and even with marked mines on the map, 3D VIOP and the ability to crawl past them about 70-90% of the insurgents TKs are by mines and grenade traps.
People seem to like to run around not looking where they are headed.

Well I did have an idea earlier today, in that the different grenade types would be assigned to specific classes.

Assault's would have the 4 second ones.... recon and MG's would have the 1 second ones for tripmines, and the 10 second ones could be for Commander/Squad Leaders.... still thinking about it though, but that way, it would limit the amount of players being able to lay down tripmines.

Upvote 0
In the German Army placing mines or booby-traps is a speciallity of engineers, so if you want to reduce the numbers of red-cap handgrenades, you could assign them to the engineer class instead of machine gunners. If the loadout is too heavy, make it an option to choose either a satchel or a booby trap grenade. Of course it is a good idea to give them to recon too.

Upvote 0
Alright, after giving the last update a trial run in the last week and determining if Classic was going to take over all the servers in my area & leaving me with nothing I'd enjoy, I no longer feel concerned that I would be working on a model for a game I wouldn't play anymore (or enjoy anyways)..... so the modeling is back on the next chance I get to load up Maya.

There are a few glitches and bugs since the last patch, but nothing serious that won't get fixed later on.

I'll update this thread again the next time I have something new to show.

The Molotov Cocktail and a few other weapons are still planned to be worked on after this project..... so long as I don't hit a road block in this project :cool:

Upvote 0
Render-03.jpg

Model M39 Grenade (Beta) Complete

I say Beta because I may do some minor tweaking later on, but as far as I'm concerned, the look and details needed for this model are done.

I could have finished this a few months back, but I dilly dallied.... and just got back to it about an hour ago.

Now to the Molotov Cocktail.....

Upvote 0
I would work on the metal a bit more. It resembles plastic a bit too much right now, between the specularity and the flat grey. Also, maybe rework the color of the body? The color you are using doesn't really resemble what was used for those grenades. I'd be happy to help if you are open to the idea.

Cheers! Looking good!

Upvote 0
I would work on the metal a bit more. It resembles plastic a bit too much right now, between the specularity and the flat grey. Also, maybe rework the color of the body? The color you are using doesn't really resemble what was used for those grenades. I'd be happy to help if you are open to the idea.

Cheers! Looking good!

Well I noticed the paint job (green) in various photos varies from blueish'grey, green, brown, copper, etc. and the paint used in all except the copper (no paint?) are pretty close to matte in appearance with little shine to them. Most of the photos and references I came across show the green or the blue-grey.... so I chose the green just out of preference.

I increased the shine on the screw cap and... holster ring?

But I will be re-working the screw cap later on and modifying the texture of the bottom rings later on..... which is why I noted this as "Beta" currently.

My plan is to start working on the Molotov next and when that is at the same stage at this project, I'm going to make my attempt in bringing both into the SDK and see what happens.

My experience is more with Modeling/Textures/Animating and very little code experience, so I'll be doing some reading :cool:

If all of that goes well, then I'll finalize the models & textures.

If I'm successful with these two projects, I'll move onto firearms like the PPD-40, MP-41 (cuz I like those two SMG's from RO'past) the Mosin-Nagant M1938 Carbine & Gewehr 98 rifles.

I know the MP-41 was in limited stock during RO2's timeline..... but we can just call it a "Prototype" ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd love to see Tripwires in RO2..... 'nuff said. ;)

If I can figure out how to program it, the red caps would be tripwires for marksmen and MG classes, as the red caps were kind of an insta-boom with no timer..... and those two classes would do best with tripwires.

Though for team mates, I'd probably make them glow like satchel objects so they can see them as they approach... in some game modes that is.

Upvote 0