• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 2 Modification Resource Thread

HeadClot

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2010
Utah, United States
Preamble of the Red Orchestra 2 Modification Resource Thread

To provide resources related aimed at the Red Orchestra 2 SDK and the Unreal Development Kit. This Thread is to get modders off the ground fast and get them creating awesome content for their mods.

3D Modeling Tools

Autodesk Student - You will have access to most of Autodesks software including 3ds Max, Autodesk Maya, and Softimage XSI for free. I personally recommend 3ds max.

3D Modeling Training

Autodesk 3DS Max 101 - This VTM has over 20 hours of training inside it. It will really help with giving you the run down of 3DS max and teach you almost everything you need to know.

Scripting

Unreal Script and Introduction and Application Learn how to script in the unreal engine with Unreal Script. From creating custom weapon classes to adding custom functions to kismet.

Unreal Kismet - An Introduction and Application While aimed at UT3 almost everything in this VTM is still very much applicable to the current UDK and can help you with the RO2 SDK.

Materials and Effects

Unreal Materials - An Introduction and Application - If you are new to UDK you will want to pick this up as you will be dealing with materials more than anything inside the UDK.

Unreal Cascade - An Introduction and Application Learn to create custom particle systems for UT3. This can carry over the the Unreal Engine and the RO2 SDK

Lighting and Post processing

UDK Lighting & Post Processing - An Introduction and Application Learn how to light your levels and use post process brushes and chains to your advantage.

Free Stuff -

Free Video Tutorials from Eat3d

UDN (Unreal Developers Network)

Design3 UDK - Resources ranges from level design to Coding in Unreal Script.

Eat 3D Discounts

However if you are a student you can get 20% off and if you are on a mod team, Game team, or even just working with the UDK another 20% for a grand total of 40% off. UDN Discount Application Form

Last edited:
Small Arms Weapons

The American Civil War Weapons

The United States of America (WW2)
M1 Garand (Stock)
Spoiler!

M1 Garand (Sniper Variant)
Spoiler!

Springfield 1903
Spoiler!

Bazooka (American Anti Tank)
Spoiler!

The United Kingdom - WW2
Small Arms
Lee Enfield SMLE (With Bayonet)
Spoiler!

BREN LMG
Spoiler!

Tanks
Sherman Firefly
Spoiler!

German Weapons (WW2)
German Small Arms

MG 42 (Bi pod variant)
Spoiler!

German Tanks

King Tiger
Spoiler!

Edit - More Coming soon!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WW2 Eastern Front

Berlin - 1945
Spoiler!

Battle of the Reichstag - 1945

Spoiler!

Stalingrad Strategic Map

Spoiler!

Stalingrad Tactical Maps

Leningrad

German Cities and Regional Maps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Paid for Software

Crazy Bump - A real time Normal, Displacement and Heightmap program

nDO2 - An Awesome Photoshop Plugin for indie devs you can get a discount off the commercial license.

Free Software

Terrasculpter - Terrasculpter for UE3 will also have a licensed version for commercial projects as well as a free version.

Height Map Conversion Software - G16 file Format converter for Unreal

L3DT (Large 3D Terrain Generator) - Has both a Random Generation tool with Lots of options and you can design your height map in 3D. There is both a Licensed version and Free version. Free version can only output at 2048 x 2048.

World Machine - A very awesome tool for creating realistic terrains - purely node based and is fully editable. Free version can only output at 512x512.

XNormal - xNormal is an application to generate normal / ambient occlusion / displacement maps.

Meshlab - A awesome tool for optimizing your 3D meshes as well as previewing them before they go into the RO2 SDK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every thing I linked here is to help YOU to succeed in what ever you are doing with the Red Orchestra 2 SDK

I hope that you succeed with your mod.

Making a Mod - Advice from Valve

Successful mod team Tips from Valve

A bit of advice from myself -

1. Do not use any engine you are unfamiliar with stay where your strengths are however if the market is shifting away from an engine. Adapt.

2. Use your strengths to you advantage do not underestimate what you can and cannot do.

3. Be honest. This is the best way to be fired from any job. Even from a mod team. Be honest always.

4. Invest money into your self. Training materials and even tools.

5. Invest Time into yourself. Learn your tools inside and out.

For Team Leaders -

1. Your job will be hard - Do not run a team by your self. Get a knowledgeable and Trust worthy person for your co lead.
2. Organize events with your Team to relieve stress- (Example: Get to know everyone events, Play a game of RO:OST with your team to relive stress, etc.)
3. Do not work your team to hard - Loyalty and Promises only go so far.
4. You will need to work with your team - Compromise and compromise more to meet deadlines. Features can be added in later.
5. Do NOT put your self above your team. Your team will scatter as fast a roaches in the day when this happens. Know how to be caring and humble.
6. Have a yin to your yang. Have some one (Preferably on your team) keep you in check.

*Important Read!*

Do you work on a mod? Are you Lost in the wonderful world of Modding? I would like to help where I can. PM me and let me know about it. I will try and help. If I cannot help ask around. If you need resources posted they will be in this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nice thread!

i read in the karlovka thread that there are progs where you can make a heightmap and add it as a texture
that would be really helpfull for players

On it :)

I know of a few of those programs as well :)

Edit - What do you guys want to see?

Tell me and I will dig it up and put it on this thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0