• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

I can't read the last page of this thread, so I hope this doesn't conflict or run off topic - feel free to mod it!

Nightingale: for a little bit of sewery-goodness and inspiration, take a look at:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Underground-Sites?[url]http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php/29-Underground-Sites?[/URL]

Lots of reports & photo's of "urbex" exploration of various drains and sewers (most in the UK). Most of the storm drains are given nicknames, so don't be put off by "Masticator", "Velociraptor" and "Megatron", there might be some interesting stuff in there!

Even if the designs are irrelevant it might give you some ideas re. lighting, shadows, etc. Also you might get an idea of how sewerage and storm drains can interact on different levels etc.

'Fraid my Russian isn't good enough to go googling for Stalingrad Urbex etc. but you might fair better than me!

Upvote 0
>fruitbat: Thanks for the link! I've always been aware of the whole urbex community, but somehow it never occurred to me to check some of their photos for reference material.

>rekrut: Looking good as usual. Is it a combined arms map? I'd love to see a map where engineers hide in foxholes/trenches and throw their AT grenades as the tanks roll over them.

Upvote 0
Still not quite sure what you are talking about here, but if you mean that you don't know how to put trench meshes into the ground, then go open the terrain editor, select the visibility tool and then paint over the squares which you want to disappear. If your terrain tessellation is fine enough, you will be able to fit the trench mesh right in. Alternatively, (I think Xendance does this), you can just lower the terrain (just one vertex) to make a little valley that the trench can fit into. I never really got that method to work though.

If you mean just an indentation in the ground, then I guess you are trying to get a very exact kind of shape in the terrain. In that case, I would try exporting your height map to an image editor, and then getting it all nice and precise outside of UDK before importing it back in.

Upvote 0
Still not quite sure what you are talking about here, but if you mean that you don't know how to put trench meshes into the ground, then go open the terrain editor, select the visibility tool and then paint over the squares which you want to disappear. If your terrain tessellation is fine enough, you will be able to fit the trench mesh right in. Alternatively, (I think Xendance does this), you can just lower the terrain (just one vertex) to make a little valley that the trench can fit into. I never really got that method to work though.

If you mean just an indentation in the ground, then I guess you are trying to get a very exact kind of shape in the terrain. In that case, I would try exporting your height map to an image editor, and then getting it all nice and precise outside of UDK before importing it back in.

Worked like a champ!! Just had to increase my tessellation...thank you! :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just had an idea for how we can support the mapping community for RO2. Why don't we get all of the mappers to make a thread in the level design subforum for their current projects & progress? It would increase community interest and participation in the development of custom maps and it might even encourage some to try their hand at making their own maps. I think that may have even been the original purpose of that subforum anyways.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just had an idea for how we can support the mapping community for RO2. Why don't we get all of the mappers to make a thread in the level design subforum for their current projects & progress? It would increase community interest and participation in the development of custom maps and it might even encourage some to try their hand at making their own maps. I think that may have even been the original purpose of that subforum anyways.

What do you mean? We already have individual map threads as well as a general WIP thread there :)

Upvote 0
Well, yes: you, Srinidhalaya, and myself have map threads in the level design section. But that is only the 3 of us, and surely there must be more in development. I think if we get just a few more here to start their own map threads, then we may see more users sharing their progress with us and in turn each mapper will recieve more feedback on their maps. It will also give the mapping community much more publicity.

Upvote 0
Ok guys, from August on, I will have loads of time due to the cooling down of the peak work season. I will try out the editor and will read tutorials and see what I can do. However, as a kick start, I need to ask one thing:

Is it possible to take the kismet from one of the stock maps (I am thinking of Red October) and build a whole new map on it? Also: is it possible to easily edit the kismet?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to take the kismet from one of the stock maps (I am thinking of Red October) and build a whole new map on it? Also: is it possible to easily edit the kismet?

Yes. You can open a stock map, open it's Kismet, select all, copy, and paste into a text file and save it, or directly into your map's Kismet.

Yes you can easily edit Kismet. Getting it to do what you want is difficult, but editing is easy XD

Upvote 0
Yes. You can open a stock map, open it's Kismet, select all, copy, and paste into a text file and save it, or directly into your map's Kismet.

Yes you can easily edit Kismet. Getting it to do what you want is difficult, but editing is easy XD

from what I've seen of it (not on my pc, vista and 7 are 32 bit :( ) all you need to learn how it works is an example, much like the texture examples on the UDK page. copying would be a great start :D

Upvote 0
I wonder how Catalavos' Zapadnovka is coming along... I haven't heard anything about it for a while. Harley's map too.

Gettin' there fella's. Lots of stuff to fill in yet. All my kismet works (so far) so I'm counting my blessings. I'll put a new thread tomorrow.
Still have overhead maps, MG's and arty to add so there are some big steps still left to conquer. Plus it's a big-ish map and my optimization has a way to go. Plan on 25 fps test sessions until I can figure out the combine static mesh tool. FWIW, my map won't be finalized until we get Pz. III's but I still hope to have it ready to play with existing armor for the Aug. 15th deadline.

Upvote 0