• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

Good video, shakenbake. I like how much consideration you have given to flanking routes and chokepoints in this map. It's nice to see a night time map that is actually dark.

One thing which stands out in the map, though, is how "pointy" the terrain is. Do you plan to increase the tesselation in the future? It's kinda jarring to look at, and looks like something taken out of a 2004 game. Also, the straight cliffs which stand in a square around the perimeter of the map are quite noticeable and seem unnatural. If you can afford to give up some performance, I would level some of those out and add a forest region that goes out into the distance with a spawn protection volume to stop troops from straying too far.

Overall though, the map has quite a lot of detail that isn't present in other custom maps, and the layout looks quite fun. I look forward to playing it. :)
Thanks for the feedback & support...I'll work on smoothing those babies out a little! :D

Upvote 0
Some pics of my current progress on TE-TsentralnyySewers. The current sewerage represents about 1/6 of the total accessible underground area that I intend to build. For reference, that grid of pipes on the upper-right consists of rectangles about 40.0 x 20.0m.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

And now for my shame:
Spoiler!

Yes, the 3 and 4 way junctions are not UV-mapped yet. I got frustrated with trying to use the UV editor so I decided to work on the map layout and then return to UV mapping later.

I'm not sure how I feel about arranging the pipes in those perfect 40m x 20m grids. I think it's more realistic to do it like that, but I feel an urge to offset them a little bit so it's not so boring. I don't know. If someone could offer some advice on the sewer layout, that would be great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks great, but is it going to be only sewers? I think it would make the entire map look the same and it would get dull. There could be some rooms, lower and higher levels, some places where the ceiling is broken so you could maybe leave the sewers for a bit. I think some objectives should be out of the sewers.

I like how it's pretty dark, but you'll have to be careful with the lighting. Some RO2 maps have some dark places, but the player models don't get as dark as where they are, so they end up shining and standing out.

Upvote 0
Strictly speaking, it won't be all sewerage, but almost all of the objectives will be in the sewer system, so it isn't really going to be comparable to Leningrad. I know what you mean about the dullness of having the same sewer everywhere, so I think I'll probably be adding another 1 or 2 sewer shapes to give the map some variety. Maybe I might also add some very small ones that you have to crouch to go through. I don't know how realistic that would be, though. The map certainly will have maintenance rooms and the like (see image 2).

The final 2 objectives will have the advancing Soviets push the Germans through an apartment basement and then up the apartment main floor to win the map. It will have the same "reinforcements will be cut off in: XX" as in Grain Elevator to give the Germans a big incentive to keep the attackers down in the sewers. The initial Soviet Spawn is also in a boarded-up store. I think I'll also have them fight to gain control of the basements of some completely-destroyed buildings in the middle of the map. I think this should all not be too difficult to do using BSP and the provided meshes. Unfortunately, my 3ds Max skills aren't good enough to model things like broken sewers. I totally would though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the lighting though. I'll try to see if I can force the game to make the characters dark in the shadows. If I can't, I'll just light everything up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Enviromental Artillery Test.
Red Orchestra 2 - Enviromental Artillery Test [Custom Map] - YouTube
The Kismet sequence taken from Grain Elevator.

The map is the SDK TE-AttackDefend, if you watch the vid you will see that the cover meshes are not there(you can cover but there is nothing protecting you!!). But they are there when I test the map in UDK.
Does anyone know why they are not there ingame?

Upvote 0