• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aufmarsch: The Great War 1914-1918

Agh, the only thing getting me out of bed today. Excited to check it out. I've definitely enjoyed the Eastern Front maps a ton and I'd really like to see what Tarnow is like on a server. You've definitely gotten the concept of wide-open vast landscapes down on that. Actually got to play with ya for a bit I believe. Fabulous Flamingo on Steam.

I've been meaning to open up some more discussion here after seeing the Steam goals for improving upon the existing factions this month and moving towards the British in the future. Thought that was very interesting.

Upvote 0
Well I've been trying to learn to make maps with as many modular aspects as possible and also much smaller than in the past. Previously each map I made I'd spend several hours just setting up the ground work but now I basically template away everything that doesn't change, and by copying in things like trenches in new conformations, you save a **** ton of time. I think people would rather have a bunch of smaller maps where I try to vary layout than if I slowed down and tried to make the definitive WW1 map at first with a super unique aesthetic. That way if I make a real crappy one they can just skip it, and it is actually faster to correct mistakes the next time around on another map so I can implement new ideas more readily.

I think the ideal Aufmarsch map workflow for me is just one day of solid mapping. If you look at my previous map alt-moabit, the pure scale alone made it take forever and while I love it like a child it is a buggy unbalanced mess. While I still think a great map takes time, I've adopted my current Soviet production mapping model because a mod needs enough maps to actually justify downloading it, and it is silly to make new assets that only get used on a single map. Why add the UK for instance before we even have a decent number of America or Russia maps?

Upvote 0