• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Manual gear box on vehicles

I guess, anything is possible, it'd be more difficult if you also wanted the animations
Just as aaz siad, what animations? The gear shift animations are already in game, they are just played whilst accelerating in a tank (not sure about halftracks, play IOM mostly).
Manual gearbox sounds pretty good, would make driving a bit more interesting. I think you need to make driving with the commander even slower though, otherwise there is no point to switch to driver in a tank.

EDIT: Misspelled Shift so it got censored... hope nobody saw that :p

Upvote 0
i think that 2 crews in 1 tank should be required, so tank cant be droven with just 1 player inside.

Well it sure helps a lot with immersion, sometimes you simply arent able to coordinate tank movments with a complete stranger. This would make it very hard for anyone without a mic to use the tank at all.

If this kind of system should work we need a better way to determin who gets in your tank and who doesnt. Nothing is more annoying than trying to tank with a friend only to have 2 strangers who dont give a **** take all crewposition :mad:

Upvote 0
If this kind of system should work we need a better way to determin who gets in your tank and who doesnt. Nothing is more annoying than trying to tank with a friend only to have 2 strangers who dont give a **** take all crewposition :mad:
This is pretty much why we can't have nice things.
The only way I can possibly think to have this system work nicely is to do like ShacTactical and only allow people who have mics and are competent to play; and there's no way to implement that.

Upvote 0
its not about mic, its about being interested in coordinating with with your another tank crew.
I played many times with friend and just random normal player in T34, we didnt use mic and chat was enough to coordinate.

When I ( if i am commander, same for him if he is commander ) needed direct control to tank driving i could just ask him to take hull MG so i can drive and shoot cannon at the same time

I think this is something that should be controlled by server admin or moderator. Just listen to players if they say that player in tank is stupid and does not do his job and kick him from role

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I'd love to see a 2 person minimum crew, I think it'd have to be a server side option as I've only had this experience:

Nothing is more annoying than trying to tank with a friend only to have 2 strangers who dont give a **** take all crewposition

And your "driver" doesn't have a mic and does whatever the hell he wants. Leaving you unable to target anything and useless.

A manual tranny would be cool.

I'd also love a mutator that shuts up the damn AI driver. :eek:

Upvote 0
I've never liked the way WASD was set up for driving tanks.

Most tanks drive like tractors, a 6 speed gear box (4 forward, neutral and 1 reverse) and two sets of clutches to brake stear.

For the driver, Q/E should be a gear selector. UP and Down the gear range from reverse, neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

W and S to incrementally increase or decrease throttle.

A and D for the brake stear. 'A' brakes the left track, 'D' to the right. The longer you hold the key, the more the brake. Braking too long when in higher gears will stall the engine. Tapping the A and D key momentarilly engages the clutch with no brake, for small, less violent turns.

-----

The Panther was the only exception, with two gear boxes, one for each track. Continuous turning of the Panther was accomplished by selecting different gears from one side to the other. Still had clutch brakes, but had the unique feature could turn on its own axis by putting one track in reverse and the other in 1st and applying throttle. AFAIK, no other tank during WW2 could do this. Unfortunatly this also compromised reliability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0