• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Help on custom font

By creating new ui_fonts.upk and rs_ui_font.upk, now the RO2's in-game interface can display both letters and characters,even chatting text.

But, on the contrary, though it have been edited, the texts which relate to RS still show themself as unreadable codes, and main menu with the same situation.

It's quite possible to localize this game into a CJK one, it maybe a little bit late but worth it, still, every day the most polular servers in east asia are full of players.

We can do it by our fans, as font making and translation, but here's no professional one, we are all new to unreal editor, can you show us how does it work and help us on this problem?

Thanks a million!
005yyi5Jjw1eogzw1dxpuj30zk0m8ae7.jpg

005yyi5Jjw1eogzw48j5yj30vf0jh0xz.jpg

005yyi5Jjw1eogzwebcl5j30zk0k07al.jpg

005yyi5Jjw1eogzwifxopj313p0n3aeo.jpg

HERE'S THE FAILURE
005yyi5Jjw1eogzzk5yz1j30zk0m8taj.jpg

Last edited:
By creating new ui_fonts.upk and rs_ui_font.upk, now the RO2's in-game interface can display both letters and characters,even chatting text.

But, on the contrary, though it have been edited, the texts which relate to RS still show themself as unreadable codes, and main menu with the same situation.

It's quite possible to localize this game into a CJK one, it maybe a little bit late but worth it, still, every day the most polular servers in east asia are full of players.

We can do it by our fans, as font making and translation, but here's no professional one, we are all new to unreal editor, can you show us how does it work and help us on this problem?

Thanks a million!

Let me get this straight, you have modified the game, but the language you're trying to modify it to, hasn't worked?
So at the beginning your language wasn't supported so you modified it, then this happened, and now it's a bunch of unreadable characters...?
I'm no expert I'm just a guy who's working on an M2 Carbine and a few mutators for this game at the moment. If you need some help let me know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all you need to identify which language the game is running in, then navigate to Steam/SteamApps/common/red orchestra 2/ROGame/Localization/YOUR GAME LANGUAGE/ and then edit the files within to make use of the characters you've set up, otherwise the game is still trying to print out abcd etc. when you want it to put in your characters instead. A long process. D:

At least that's what I think you need to do.

Upvote 0
First of all you need to identify which language the game is running in, then navigate to Steam/SteamApps/common/red orchestra 2/ROGame/Localization/YOUR GAME LANGUAGE/ and then edit the files within to make use of the characters you've set up, otherwise the game is still trying to print out abcd etc. when you want it to put in your characters instead. A long process. D:

At least that's what I think you need to do.
Just talked to a friend about this, Cwivey is right just edit that and you should be fine. Not sure if you'd need to brew as a mutator though.

Are those files considered classes or objects by the engine? If so you'd need to create a mutator that would replace the desired files with the ones you would use.
I'll check later to see if it is possible.
Also what are you language are you trying to use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THANKS GUYS

Im not a native speaker so sorry for misunderstanding, now with pictures maybe goes easier

I want to localize this game into chinese and japanese, so I made font and replaced it with the originals, and did the texts' modification based on the english language package.

It's lucky that most part of the translated text works,even thoes in RS, but, I find out that words in ROGameMenus.int is out of my control, which means the translated words -- characters, can't be shown correctly in game, so the options in main menu and in-game manu are error codes.
005yyi5Jjw1eogznxff02j30zk0m8taj.jpg
ERROR
005yyi5Jjw1eohadc66plj3082048aab.jpg

005yyi5Jjw1eogznvyofnj311y0jl77g.jpg
ERROR

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You might need to edit the EngineFonts.upk package as well.

thanks for your idea, but unfortunately it didn't work by editing enginefont.upk, but according to the font of main menu, it is clearly that using the modified one, so it's very strange, I will try again and again to fingure out the connections among fonts and ROGameMenus.int

I wish it can be solved,if tripwire adopt it then will benifit both chinese and japanese players
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THANKS FOR ALL GUYS!!!ESPECIALLY Beskar Mando,YOU INSPIRED ME

NOW I FINGURED IT OUT, THAT'S SO SIMPLE. THE "ROGameMenus.int" IS ENCODED WITH UTF-8,WHILE DOUBLE-BYTE CHARACTERS NEED TO BE SAVED IN A UNICODE ARCHIVE. NOW IT SHOWS CJK WORDS WITHOUT PROBLEM.

NOW IF HERE'S CHINESE AND JAPANESE FRIENDS WHO WANT TO DEDICATE TO THIS WORK, WE CAN COOPERATE IT TOGETHER, TO LOCALIZE THIS GAME.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, I'd reccomend taking a look at the other language files as a base.
No expert on this kind of stuff, but if you follow them as an example you should be fine. take a look at the .uc files elsewhere that'd have a something to with language and menus. Probably going to be in the .upk Cwivey was talking about, but I'd check to be sure.
I'm supprised TWI hasn't supported Japanese and Chinese languages.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I'd reccomend taking a look at the other language files as a base.
No expert on this kind of stuff, but if you follow them as an example you should be fine. take a look at the .uc files elsewhere that'd have a something to with language and menus. Probably going to be in the .upk Cwivey was talking about, but I'd check to be sure.
I'm supprised TWI hasn't supported Japanese and Chinese languages.
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!IT DOES WORK BASED ON RUSSIAN LANGUAGE PACK,THANK YOU!!!
005yyi5Jjw1eoi4jd0y8pj30zk0m8q5o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
The menu and ingame text are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\Localization depending on what language you set in Steam in the game's properties, it will use the appropriate folder (english will use INT, french will use FRA... and so on)

You can copy the used language folder to this location to modify it \Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Localization

I think you can move all modified files in this My Games folder ;)

The game will use the modified files in \Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\ instead of the game's original files. It's better to modify them here, because game updates or integrity of game files check will surely erase your modifications.

just my 2cents ;)

Upvote 0
Great job so far! I look forward to see what other font mods can be done. I hope the text chat font can be replaced with a more readable typeface such as Segoe UI.

Agreed!
matrioshka I always use bases when I'm learning, I wouldn't be able to work on an M2 Carbine without looking at the Src Folder.

Upvote 0