• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

One big advice i can give is eat allot of garlic, it's nature's antibiotics. Here you can buy a jar full for garlic cloves and when i got a cold coming up i swallow two cloves a day, haven't had a real big cold in 2 years!

Or just have my immune system. I haven't had a cold for a very very long time. Had the highest attendance rate in school consecutively for years lol. Up until my senior years anyway. Statistics wasn't important.

Though first year university I had a really awful stomach bug and caught pneumonia lol. Strange people with foreign diseases contaminating me.

Upvote 0
As talks started about winter uniforms as Foy is the first winter map for HoW, I checked on Darkest Hour.
DH features a large amount of different German winter clothing.
- Completely white
- White parkas, oak leaf pattern trousers.
- Oakleaf pattern parkas, white trousers
- splinter camo (grey-green) parkas, white trousers
- Mousegrey combo as we know it from the heroes.

Americans have a brown greatcoat and a few I saw were with winter parka. Maybe have winter parkas for heroes.

However, I still believe Germans need a greatcoat. Especially the folks sitting around guarding bunkers had them. I would use greatcoats for my Siegfried Line map.

Something that was always disturbing me in Ostfront was that first person hands and 3rd person did not match. You had bare hands when you were alive and magically as you died your hands had gloves on.
Same I noticed with DH. 1st person had white sleeves and as I died I suddenly was wearing Oakleaf camo. We should really avoid this and have the same uniforms and hand stuff for 1st and 3rd person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should be avoidable with the hands. I think you can assign different 1st person hands to each level.

Americans also didn't have a winter parka lol. Official american winter uniforms were the big greatcoat and a coat which was essentially a greatcoat that stopped at the waist rather than below the knees. The M43 field jacket and over trousers were used as improvised winter uniform which they wore over their standard uniform. It sorta looks similar to the german parka. The M43 uniform was water proof but it wasn't designed for warmth. But before 1945 tags pretty much what most Americans wore in the Ardennes as its what they all used in the Hurtgan forest just before the winter. The allied loss of the battle of Hurtgan forest lead to the German push and the battle of the bulge in the winter. The allies were supposed to be deep in german territory by then at Berlin's gates. The war was supposed to be over before 1945.

Upvote 0
As talks started about winter uniforms as Foy is the first winter map for HoW, I checked on Darkest Hour.
DH features a large amount of different German winter clothing.
- Completely white
- White parkas, oak leaf pattern trousers.
- Oakleaf pattern parkas, white trousers
- splinter camo (grey-green) parkas, white trousers
- Mousegrey combo as we know it from the heroes.

it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, the awesome stuff from IOM. However currently they are all random. It would be good to have a selection between winter parka and greatcoat. Greatcoats would be good for bunker defense maps.

Also it might be of interest to have different winter parka selection abilities as a autumn forest which is cold but has no snow yet you'd be a fool to run around with the white side of the parka. You'd use the pea dot or the splinter one.

So it would be good if mappers could decide which to use. Or have a uniform customisation for the players. :D

Upvote 0
What will the next update be? A small one like the most recent one or are you guys doing the final release already?

Final is still a good distance away.
Currently we have replaced one American voice, the rest still speaks of Japanese. German voices have not been replaced at all. If Lemonator keeps going my voice pack might be added with the next update.

German winter uniforms are mostly done IF we are using the models Moskeeto did for IOM.
Waffen Division uniforms need to be done, camo smocks for both Waffen and Wehrmacht need to be done.

British are not in at all. Voices are currently casted. Models are partially done.
German voices directed at the British must be recorded as well.

Weapons are still missing: MP44/StG44, G43, Panzerfaust, RPzB55, M1A1 Thompson, Grease Gun, M2 Bazooka, Boys AT, Sten, Bren, Webley, MkI Grenade, Enfield etc.

Tanks are missing, late war models for Germans and of course US currently have none at all.

Maps are also still scarce: We currently have: Donner, St. Amand, St. Come du Mont. Foy is being developed.

As RandomPerson dug them out, we are even thinking about getting going on FaceFX, in this case particularly me after my exams in June.

Also of interest is the fact that the Full Body Awareness in 1st person has been discovered in the codes. Also something that might be considered for inclusion.

So you see, still a lot of work to do. :)

Upvote 0
Final is still a good distance away.
Currently we have replaced one American voice, the rest still speaks of Japanese. German voices have not been replaced at all. If Lemonator keeps going my voice pack might be added with the next update.

German winter uniforms are mostly done IF we are using the models Moskeeto did for IOM.
Waffen Division uniforms need to be done, camo smocks for both Waffen and Wehrmacht need to be done.

British are not in at all. Voices are currently casted. Models are partially done.
German voices directed at the British must be recorded as well.

Weapons are still missing: MP44/StG44, G43, Panzerfaust, RPzB55, M1A1 Thompson, Grease Gun, M2 Bazooka, Boys AT, Sten, Bren, Webley, MkI Grenade, Enfield etc.

Tanks are missing, late war models for Germans and of course US currently have none at all.

Maps are also still scarce: We currently have: Donner, St. Amand, St. Come du Mont. Foy is being developed.

As RandomPerson dug them out, we are even thinking about getting going on FaceFX, in this case particularly me after my exams in June.

Also of interest is the fact that the Full Body Awareness in 1st person has been discovered in the codes. Also something that might be considered for inclusion.

So you see, still a lot of work to do. :)
Enfield isn't missing, Bazooka is 55% done, and AAZ is working on the STG44. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0