Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.

Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.

General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.

• There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!

DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.

Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.

Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.

A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Faction A vs Faction B: Crowd-Source Brainstorm

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One challenge is KF2. It would not do for a fraction mode released after KF2 to seem too retrograde compared to advances included in KF2.

The enduring texture changes
    High FPS weapon animations
    Ragdoll advances (though not the full gore of course - more inspirational).
    General graphical improvements
    More adroit AI (bots)

To name a few I am aware of.

I would suggest making a short-list of "must have" code being developed for that game for use in the fraction vrs fraction.

These are perhaps not the brain-storms you were looking for. But it is what it is .
    [IMG]http://29th.org/coats/76561197985839440sig.png[/IMG][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYRibGAmB0s"][/URL]

Comment

Rising Storm does not have vehicles. If the Russian team were to use a universal carrier against the Japanese would it work, or is it only for RO2?
      [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img585/3971/r0mg.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by i8pptu View Post
        Rising Storm does not have vehicles. If the Russian team were to use a universal carrier against the Japanese would it work, or is it only for RO2?
        In theory it could work, you can start Rising Storm local game with bots, spawn a tank by console and blow it up using a satchel. I didn't tested APCs yet
        Armour will not protect cowardly heart - 10th Motorized Cavalry Brigade, precursor of 1st Polish Armoured Division
        The engine of a Panzer is a weapon just like the main gun - Gen. Heinz Guderian

Comment

Originally posted by jergul View Post
          High FPS weapon animations
          More adroit AI (bots)
          High FPS anims are mostly for Zed time

I was not aware of any AI tweaks - do you have a link?

Comment

Any news on this project?

Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
            do not suggest $hit you do not know about

Comment

Work proceeds

Comment

Originally posted by i8pptu View Post
                Indeed a Japanese tank would be nice to fight tank battles in the large plains of Manchuria and Mongolia.
                Nonetheless the Japanese have the AT Type (forgot the number), so it just needs a new class like Tankhunter in the Japanese role selection and we are good to go.

Something that would cost much more effort than Soviets vs Japanese would be adding the Nationalist/Communist Chinese forces fighting the Japanese invaders. It would need new player models, weapons and voices.
                Nonetheless it would be a faction never seen before in any WWII game as the mainstay are Germans, American, British and Soviet, few occasions Japanese. Chinese forces would bring fresh air into the whole scenery. Like I said, it is quite some work to do but I'd be willing to pay for it, just like for Rising Storm.

Flamethrowers for RO2 would indeed be a nice feature as I recently re-watched the 1993 Stalingrad movie and the Germans used flamethrowers in the sewers.
                [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBFw1elNTdNDJerOCpjR26A"]40-1 UK Clan Official You Tube Channel :D
                [/URL]

Comment

oh man chinese civil war would indeed be a unique scenario!

also this: http://i.imgur.com/iLXyxri.jpg
                  yes you see right my friends... kitty shermans!
                  [IMG]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38595&dateline=1401397179[/IMG]

Comment

Well, since this early Alpha of the Heroes of the West has been introduced, I think that Moskeeto and General Shepard are on a good path. But I do know that there's still a lot of work in front of them to make it all operational.

As for historical accuracy, there are some things that should be put in, such as:
                    - The M1A1 Thompson, which was the preferred SMG for the U.S. Army forces on the Western Front. Most M1928 Thompsons were sent or issued to British troops fighting in Europe.
                    - If there are gonna be variations of forces fighting in the modification or the stand-alone expansion (such as Rangers, Airborne, Infantry and Armored divisions), then the loadouts would have to be different in terms of weaponry used. The Airborne units used M1A1 Carbine, while the Rangers and other Infantry divisions used the standard M1 Carbine (which already exists in-game).
                    - As for the AT weaponry, there would definitely be proper AT weaponry. That includes the Bazooka, Panzerschrek, Panzerfaust as a possible battle-pickup by the ammo dumps. But the implementation of the Bazooka and the Panzerschrek, in my personal opinion, would require a separate Squad slot. Why? Because most Bazooka units worked in pairs (one shooter and one reloader). Even though the Bazooka and Panzerschrek would be able to fire on their own, I'd rather see that team-work in this, but it would be very hard to implement it into the game itself :/.
                    - Other weapons were used by German forces fighting on the Western front, and Moskeeto needs people to make those guns, such as Gewehr 43 and SturmGewehr 44. Also, the sniper class for the Germans would have to be updated to use the Gewehr 43 Scoped. Some officers carried Lugers and not Walther P38 pistols, so I think that the Luger should find its way here as well. I don't know if MP41 was used at all on the Western front, but if it was, I'd certainly love to see that one as well.
                    - Considering that not everyone used the M3 Grease Gun (it was mostly used in the Pacific Theatre), some units still used it on the Western Front (mostly Airborne units like 82nd and 101st Airborne). I don't know how much of it is true, but here's a link to check it: http://www.d-day-publishing.com/port...bob-piper.html
                    The M3 Grease Gun would be a nice addition for the American forces, since it has a lower RoF than the M1A1 Thompson and I'd love to hear its sound during various skirmishes .

Now, that completes the infantry ideas that I have. Now, onto the vehicles and possible maps and locations.

Vehicles:
                    - Certainly ones to be included should be the M4 Sherman and Panzer IV tanks. Just for starters. As for the Panzer IV tanks, I think that Panzer IV Ausf.H would be the model I'd choose for the Western Front.
                    - Transport vehicles: definitely the Sdkfz.251, which is already in the game for the Germans. For the Americans, the standard M3 Halftrack.

Locations and possible maps:
                    - Omaha Beach would be the first one, obviously .
                    - I am a fan of the Brothers in Arms games, and there are many locations from that game that could be used as an inspiration for a map. I would definitely love to see the assault on Carentan by Airborne troops. Since Rising Storm was mostly fought on islands, urban maps is sort of a requirement for the Western Front .
                    - One map that revolves around Operation Cobra and the liberation of St. Lo.
                    - Definitely something during winter and Battle of the Bulge. Foy would be a great map for this.

Other stuff:
                    - The biggest problem I see, when combining forces such as Americans and Germans, is the issue of proper Artillery strikes. Naval barrage could be used only on the Omaha Beach map and not anywhere else. On other maps, Naval barrage could be switched with a different artillery strike (I'd choose from a variety of options here: M4 Sherman Calliope Rocket Strike, Creeping Barrage or just leave the standard Artillery Strike). As for the Germans, I'd love to hear that Nebelwerfer strike fear into the hearts and minds of the American troops.
                    - Hero ranks and uniforms: now that is probably the biggest question. If there are various forces and uniforms, how to make the Heroes stand out in front of the other soldiers? For the Airborne units, I'd make the Hero wear paint on his face and have his sleeves rolled up. As for the Germans, it would depend on the type of forces that would be chosen to stand for them in this game. I still have no idea how it would work for the Rangers units.
                    - Uniforms would have to be different within different units. As you know, Airborne used different uniforms in Normandy and later in Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge. The Normandy ones were M42 uniforms and sort of brownish color, which were soon replaced with M43 uniforms that were green. Also, the markings on the helmets differentiate (they used Hearts for 502nd PIR, spades for 506th PIR and diamonds for the 501st PIR. The clubs were reserved for the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment). So, proper uniforms for proper units in the game or modification.

I know that these are not scripting ideas, but they are ideas and the possibilites that could be in the stand-alone game (or the Heroes of the West modification). And I know that these ideas probably add to the complexity of making the whole project possible, but I'd still love to see it in-game and I'd definitely cash out (e. g. 30 to 40 €) for something like this
                    Supporting: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Well I made a set of German skins for the western front mod. An urban set. The standard German soldiers have a different shade of field grey to better distinguish themselves from the Americans slightly. Its actually the official RGB colour of field grey the Germans used. Field grey is a shade of the green. Confusing. They also have the M42 tunic rather than the M36 tunic they use in RO2. I gave them slate grey helmets which became quite common late war and pre war most helmets were slate grey. For the veteran he's acquired a pair of splinter camo trousers. And the machine gunners get dark grey gloves rather then field grey gloves. There weren't really official military gloves. They just issued soldiers with a bunch of different kinds of gloves. Gloves were gloves. I also have a similar hero skin which has a camo parka rather than a tunic. And I decided to give him a pair of old slate grey trousers. To give the sense of him being an old and experienced soldier who's been in the army since 1938. I was gonna give him a camo helmet too but the mesh for the German helmets are weird and the camo turns out all stretched. It needs to be redone. So its just default for now. That's the cold/wet weather variation. Not snowy winter.

They are pretty authentic. Just some minor alterations to help with close range team identification. Currently in a CQB situation friendly fire happens a lot because of the current colours.

Comment

Sounds excellent.
                        I always thought about a small character customisation menu, a bit like in Ut3 in which you could decide if there should be a foliage net on the helmet or not, you want jackboots or ankle boots, etc. Maybe also decide the face and the voice for your character.

One thing I do hope for is that winter outfit for the Germans is not the standard field tunic with scarf and gloves. Please add greatcoats.

Wet clothing would be awesome indeed. Currently it looks unrealistic of it pours down and the characters are not wet also. If there is a chance to add wet clothing that would be awesome. Also wet weapon skins would be immersive.
                        Last edited by Raven1986; 11-02-2014, 06:24 PM.
                        [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBFw1elNTdNDJerOCpjR26A"]40-1 UK Clan Official You Tube Channel :D
                        [/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X