• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modders and Brewing!

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    RS/RO2 now has a new file system that will make it easier for us to update the game without breaking compatibility with custom content. The new system will also reduce the download size of future updates.

Custom Maps

Maps are published through the editor in the same way as before. Publishing will now only generate one version of the map that can be used both on the server and on the client

Mods & Mutators

Script files that were cooked previously are still compatible with this update. A new commandlet was added that allows modders to build with the new file system.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=98910

Known Issues

• Most custom maps published before the update will still play, but some will have missing textures unless they are republished. In future game updates, missing textures and other compatibility issues will be much less common.
    • Servers will notice an increase in system memory usage with the new file system. Typically this is somewhere between 60-130 MB depending on the map. This should not affect servers that limit memory consumption to 1 GB or higher.

will file still need to be renamed to upk for server? and must files on redirection server must still use the upk extension?

Edit: I noticed a huge increase in file size of the map, is it me or is it normal?

FF-Omano_RifleOnly : cooked 14M / brewed 25M
    FF-Hell_RifleOnly : cooked 22M / brewed 47M
    TE-SilentHill_B2 : cooked 120M / brewed 210M

Even if updates will not break custom maps anymore, their file size increase will not go in the good way in my opinion... how will people download map that are now twice the size when they did not before..?

Edit 2: I only brewed them, i did not rebuild anything as I did not modify anything just wanted to make them brewed as it is now the good path to take for custom content.. hum is this the source of problem or is the file size increase a normal behaviour of new brewing system??

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    will file still need to be renamed to upk for server? and must files on redirection server must still use the upk extension?

Replying to myself for that: File on server is the same as file for client, just upload it to BrewedPCServer/Maps folder instead of the old CookedPCServer folder, no renaming needed, no renaming needed for redirect file as well, keep the original brewed map as it is on both server and redirect.

Upvote 0
    I guess you are trying to make old custom (before this patch, which were UPK files) working on your server, I guess you will have to rename them to ROE like the brewed ones are now. I did not try with old customs but I think that should work.

PS: do not put the redirect file on the server as it is for client, put the server file.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Hey Romano and the rest of course,

i figured out on TE-Train that the offline .roe version had 120MB. But in Steam Workshop it says it is 60MB big.

So i gave it a try on Climbup and it worked first try. Check the Screenshots.
    The climbup_o.roe was the old 1.31 version file.

geetz and have fun with update, upload und implent the vehicles :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3tubeonwropbq7/climbup.jpg

Attachments

• climbup.jpg
      climbup.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0