• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Japanese realism - General RS suggestion thread

Orgrim Doomhammer

Jul 22, 2013
Now this is particularly controversial among some players over on the steam community forums, but I don't think the Japanese and to a certian extend the Americans are modeled as realistic as they should be.

I think the Japanese should be reworked in the following way

This is directly after reading the Handbook of the Japanese army produced by the U.S. Navy in 1944

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/handbook-japanese-military/index.html

Rifleman: Take away pistols, give 2x as many grenades . Historically, the Japanese were explosive happy when assaulting, and it also forces the use of melee and banzai far more.
MG's: Instead of an M1919, have veterans get BAR unlocks, again, these are more common to find.
Assault soldiers: Reduce total number to 2-3 per team.
Sl's: Take away submachine guns. The amount of submachine guns is ridiculous. Also, no carbine as an unlock, get either an extra smoke grenade or maybe a Garand.
Engineers: Add this class, as will be explained below; basically a rifleman with more capabilities.
Tl: Veteran unlock should be a Garand, not a carbine.

Things that need to be added:
200px-Type_93_flamethrower.jpg

1. Japanese flamethrower. Despite many claims to the contrary, the Japanese did use a flamethrower, suggest that there be (n-1) flamethrowers of what the Americans have. This will offset the reduction in submachine guns.
2. Tear gas Candle
275-medium-candle.jpg
, acts like a smoke grenade, with the effect that it causes complete suppression to anyone around it. Tl and engineer classes should get them.

It makes the Japanese rely on suppression and explosives, and specialized weapons to advance, which is different than american overwhelming firepower.

I think that a veteran commander might have access to the most common allied weapon. Not Sl's, but the commander probably. Having half the Japanese slots have access to M1 Carbines is ridiculous. Maybe expand that so that Hero's can spawn with Garands, but get rid of the veterans with allied guns.

Also, some other additions that might make the game more realistic.

Type 99 MG shield:
Type_96_LMG_with_Type_99_shield.jpg

And penetrations:
Japanese_Type_99_shield_tested_with_30_cal._AP_ammunition_at_100_yards.jpg

The testers determined that ball .306 ammunition wouldn't penetrate it, but armor piercing .306 ammunition would. Basically, the way it would work is that it can only be shot through with a sniper rifle or another machine gun (That would have AP in its ammunition mix), but is impervious to Garand, BAR's, Springfields, and any other caliber that is below that.

The reason for engineers is that it would probably be unbalanced if the Sl's had tear gas instead of traditional smoke grenades, or maybe just the TL should spawn with two of them.

Upvote 0
2. Tear gas Candle - acts like a smoke grenade, with the effect that it causes complete suppression to anyone around it. Tl and engineer classes should get them.

must be ****ty tear gas if I can walk around in the middle of it and only have banzai aiming, wouldn't you be going around on the ground gasping for air most of the time? :confused:

Upvote 0
must be ****ty tear gas if I can walk around in the middle of it and only have banzai aiming, wouldn't you be going around on the ground gasping for air most of the time? :confused:

The level of suppression we're looking for is when a raw recruit sees a hero die. Basically it grays out a 1/3 of the edge completely and has lightning strikes towards the center.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/handbook-japanese-military/infantry-equipment.html

The way it would work, I think, would be:

Revamped Japanese team:
----- ------------ Frontline -----/ -- Veteran ----/- -- Hero
(MAX 2x) Assault: 2x grenades / Thompson / M1911 + Satchels
(32x) Rifleman: Type 99 / Springfield / M1911 pistol
---------------- 2x grenades/-/-
(2x) Sniper: Same.
(2x) Flamethrower: M1911 / Shotgun
(5x) Knee mortar: Type 99 rifle / M1911 / Garand?
(3x) MG: Type 99 HMG / BAR / M1919 LMG
(5x) Sl(no SMG): M1911 / Springfield / Garand
(1x) Tl: M1911 / Garand / Any Allied Weapon except flame or M1919 LMG

Given that there generally isn't more than 5 heros on a team at once, it doesn't greatly increase total firepower, while providing the necessary nerf in the total number of SMG's and pistols.

weapons changes:Level 0/25/50
Type 96: Bayonet/Armor plate/ Scope
Type 99: Bayonet/Armor plate/Scope
Nambu type 100: reduced recoil and bad sights/Increased RPM and fixed sights/Bayonet

Last edited:
Upvote 0