• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Scandalous amount of Japanese SMGs

The SMGs should be only for commanders, or maybe 1 per 30 Japanese.

On classic or realism modes.

To compare.. Japanese built 3.4 million type-38 rifles, 3.5 million type-99 rifles and only 24-27 thousand type 100 smg's ..

+1

to compensate and make things more realistic remove flamethrowers from maps where they werent used irl. Also it would be nice if Devs introduced animation when entering sights for aligment of front and rear sight. Like 0.5s delay to perfectly align weapon.

Upvote 0
Yes, Realism and Action allow you to use the 1944 variant on Guadalcanal, but it has to be there because those two modes must have unlocks, where as Classic does not and has the 1944 variant disabled, and little things like forcing on the drum mags for the Thompson which was still used at that time.

For me, I'd rather have the Type 100 disabled for the TL role, and decrease the amount of Assault roles on each map to a max of 2. Finally, it would be cool to give Assault roles an option between the 44 or the 40 in Classic mode, on the suitable maps of course. I don't really see this happening soon though, as Classic currently has no weapon which you can customize.

Upvote 0
For those saying lock the T100 to TL only, that would only make people take the role for the weapon only.

Cut down amount of Assualt troops and only let TL/SLs have a bolt action rifle would help a lot.

Although myself i have found a lot of people dont take assualt on Japanese for some reason, i take it a lot (when dont fancy being rifle) and enjoy the L50 T100 as well.

Chris

Upvote 0
Yes, Realism and Action allow you to use the 1944 variant on Guadalcanal, but it has to be there because those two modes must have unlocks, where as Classic does not and has the 1944 variant disabled, and little things like forcing on the drum mags for the Thompson which was still used at that time.

For me, I'd rather have the Type 100 disabled for the TL role, and decrease the amount of Assault roles on each map to a max of 2. Finally, it would be cool to give Assault roles an option between the 44 or the 40 in Classic mode, on the suitable maps of course. I don't really see this happening soon though, as Classic currently has no weapon which you can customize.
I'd split them so they're not tied to the unlock system, and give them only to TL and one random SL, but maybe I'm just crazy. :eek:

Upvote 0
For those saying lock the T100 to TL only, that would only make people take the role for the weapon only.
Why cave into them by tweaking the game around their questionable behaviour? There are better ways to deal with this, and besides, if we applied this kind of sidestepping solution to other areas of the game that can be adversely affected by poor player ethics, we wouldn't have much of a game left.

Upvote 0
It would be pretty nice if SL was split into SL (rifle) and SL (assault). Then it would be easier to balance. If half of the SLs were converted to SL (rifle) you would free up more assault classes, while keeping the amount of smgs the same.

Calling it scandalous is pretty exaggerated, and so is saying the the game does not have asymmetric sides. With no assault classes lots of people would lose interest in playing the Japanese, and the US is already favoured by the players.

Upvote 0
They could add the Type 5 rifle and that might balance it a little. The Type 5 was a Japanese version of the M1-Garand, though it never saw action. If Tripwire wants balance, add that in. Otherwise, keep everything the way it is. It doesn't bother me at all.
Adding MP18s may be a more realistic way of balancing it, as I believe the Japanese bought some after WWI ended. Either that, or add the Experimental Type 2 but only for maps where the SNLF are present (they are the only ones who ever used it).

Upvote 0
They could add the Type 5 rifle and that might balance it a little. The Type 5 was a Japanese version of the M1-Garand, though it never saw action. If Tripwire wants balance, add that in. Otherwise, keep everything the way it is. It doesn't bother me at all.

historical accuracy is the primary concern for the devs, so the Type 5 will never be included in any way (unless theres a map involving assaulting a Jap weapons factory on the mainland that happened to have a few Type 5's off the assembelly line....but I digress) balancing will have to come from another form

Upvote 0
I'd like to see how the following class loadout worked in Realism mode (bascially one Nambu Gunner or BAR-man per Squad Leader & less "special" weapons on the battlefield, more emphasis on the Rifleman class). There are still too many Type 100s but at least it equals the number of Tommy Guns available to the US. The loss of SMGs is compensated by an increased number Nambu LMGs and one less US Flamethrower. The Japanese, like the Germans, based their infantry squads around the LMG. As such, the Nambu LMG should really form the base of a Jap Team's firepower, not an overabundance of Type 100s and Knee Mortars.

Japanese Forces:

Rifleman (32 slots):
. Arisaka Type 38 Rifle or Arisaka Type 99 Rifle
. Type 97 Grenade x2

Marksman (2 slots):
. Arisaka Type 99 Sniper Rifle
. Nambu Type 14 Pistol

Machine Gunner (4 slots): (+1 MGer on Japanese assault maps)
. Nambu Type 96 LMG or Nambu Type 99 LMG
. Nambu Type 14 Pistol
. Type 97 Grenade x1

Light Mortar (2 slots):
. Arisaka Type 38 Rifle or Arisaka Type 99 Rifle
. Type 89 Grenade Discharger w/ 6 HE rounds
. Type 91 Frag Grenade x2 (players should be able to launch these via the Type 89)

Squad Leader (4 Slots):

. Arisaka Type 38 Rifle or Arisaka Type 99 Rifle or Nambu Type 100 SMG
. Nambu Type 14 Pistol
. Type 97 Grenade x1
. Type 94 Smoke Candle x1
. Binoculars

Commander (1 Slots):
. Arisaka Type 38 Rifle or Arisaka Type 99 Rifle or Nambu Type 100 SMG
. Nambu Type 14 Pistol
. Type 94 Smoke Candle x2
. Binoculars

American Forces:

Rifleman (32 slots):
. Springfield M1903A1 Rifle or M1 Rifle (Garand not available on Guadalcanal)
. Mk.2 Grenade x2

Marksman (1 slot):
. Springfield M1903A1 Sniper Rifle
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol

Machine Gunner (1 slot): (class not available on Guadalcanal therefore +1 Marksman slot)
. Browning M1919A6 LMG
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol

Automatic Rifleman (4 slots):
. Browning M1918A2 Automatic Rifle
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol
. Mk.2 Frag Grenade x2

Flamethrower (1 slot):
(class shouldn't be available on Guadalcanal & Hanto therefore +1 Auto Rifleman Slot)
. M2 Flamethrower
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol

Squad Leader (4 Slots):
. Thompson M1928A1 SMG or M1 Carbine (replace M1 Carbine w/ Springfield on Guadalcanal) or Winchester M12 Shotgun
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol
. Mk.2 Grenade x1
. M8 Smoke Grenade x1
. Binoculars

Commander (1 Slots):
. Thompson M1928A1 SMG or M1 Carbine (replace M1 Carbine w/ Springfield on Guadalcanal) or Winchester M12 Shotgun
. Colt M1911A1 Pistol
. M8 Smoke Grenade x2
. Binoculars

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats just dumb, the biggest part of the japanese team has bolt action rifles, on maps like saipan or iwo jima you clearly can see (if your not blind or just playing allies), that the japanese has a lot less firepower than the americans (thats ok lookin at history and gameplay) but to reduce it even more is stupid and would crash the balancing!

Upvote 0
What about the MP28/II or Model 2 (SNLF only) to replace some of those Type 100s.

Here's a comparison between two Type 100 variants and the Japanese bought MP28.

MP28 would be an additional choice for the Assault class/ SLs and would help reduce Type 100 spam whilst still giving the Japanese close combat power. MP28s were uncommon though.

The Model 2 was given to SNLF troops and so would be an alternative SMG for maps where they are present. It is similar to the Type 100 but uses either 30 or 50 round magazines and can be set by the user to fire at 5 different rpm settings.

file.php

Type II/Bullpup

file.php

Japanese soldier with MP34 (Austrian version of MP28)

JapaneseImperialMarines.jpg

Soldier in the top right is using an MP28.

The Grease Gun (already in the SDK files) and Reising 50 would be suitable Allied alternatives.

Lets see;
MP28 Level 0 - 32 round Snail Magazine or 20 round box magazine?
MP28 Level 25 unlock - 50 round box magazine?
MP28 Level 50 unlock - bayonet?

Type II Level 0 - 30 round Magazine
Type II Level 25 unlock - 50 round magazine
Type II Level 50 unlock - Bayonet?/Select fire?

This would reduce the number of Type 100s and give the Japanese more options. However, reducing the number of SMG slots slightly as well as adding in new SMGs may also help. If needed, the MP28 can be used as another German SMG, but perhaps minus the bayonet unlock, as only the Japanese were so keen to strap bayonets on their guns.

While I don't know how upsetting to the game balance it would be, I'd like to see the assault troops using a Arisaka Type 44 Carbine (short bolt action) with added option of a Fusil M-1908 "Mondrag

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the end of the day, what's the point of replacing one smg with another if it's going perform pretty much the same as the other? There will still be the same number of smg's.

The MP18 & 28 were definitely used in Manchuria, but I'm struggling to find any reference to where they were used during the WWII years or the number used. At least the M-1908 "Mondrag

Upvote 0
At the end of the day, what's the point of replacing one smg with another if it's going perform pretty much the same as the other? There will still be the same number of smg's.

The MP18 & 28 were definitely used in Manchuria, but I'm struggling to find any reference to where they were used during the WWII years or the number used. At least the M-1908 "Mondrag

Last edited:
Upvote 0