• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Scandalous amount of Japanese SMGs

Fulgenzio

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2012
I had the chance to play on a realism server, nope not an action one, and found out that assault class had 6 slots, mortars were 6, and combining this with the 4 smgs given to leaders plus the one of the commander I felt quite interdict. Okay for balance, but it can be done through different ways and certainly this is not the right one.

My proposal for those classes on the japanese team is the same>

3 Assault class *SMG* + Commander slot *Either smg or type99*
4 Mortar squads
3/4 Machinegunners
2 Snipers
4 SL using only Type99orType38 with pistol but NO SMG.
1 Commander

Also additionally if people feel the need of balance japanese RIFLEMEN could carry one extra grenade, since they have to rely more on booby traps and suicide attacks. Or just grenade spamming, which seems fine on their side.

Any thoughts?

It's a larger issue than just too many assaults on the Japanese side but the ideology of the SL as a whole.

SL, what is the purpose? On the US side this is also a issue - he's the only "assault" guy. Sure you get the automatic rifleman, but the BAR is also far more clunky in CQC than a Thompson. From a realism standpoint, it makes sense that the more trained guys would get different weapons and stuff, but from a game standpoint - is the guy you spawn on really the guy who should be the only guy properly equipped for charging the lines?

That said, I don't mind as I've become a BAR Fiend. GIMMIE GIMMIE.

The whole game is balanced around the Garand. It's the big game changer, as the Japanese side is "gimped" with bolt actions. Yet honestly, the Garand isn't even that good, particularly when everyone gets a pistol. To offset the Garand Japan gets more SMGs. A lot more.

I think the US SL should get the M1 Carbine, Japanese SL their choice of bolt action.

Also, the amount of mortars is too damn high.

Upvote 0
Too many mortars? Yes.
Too many SMG's? Maybe reduce the no. of SMG's to 4.
Remember automatic weapons were RARE in that era for the japanese. Not 200-300 guys running around with them on one battlefield. Then again, let the server owner decide. It's his/hers money and party.

Oh and: The rifle classes aren't gimped. Have seen this everywhere on the forums. Get to learn the damn 38, 99 and 1903! You'll find that these weapons are crazy effective when you get the hang of them. Riflemen aren't set back in any way, they just can't go with your standard deathmatch run n gun/HoS tactics. Thinking and getting accustomed to the weapons is key. Also, don't give japanese riflemen an extra grenade. They surely can use it, but just as much as any other class (japanese or american) can use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My proposal for those classes on the japanese team is the same>

3 Assault class *SMG* + Commander slot *Either smg or type99*
4 Mortar squads
3/4 Machinegunners
2 Snipers
4 SL using only Type99orType38 with pistol but NO SMG.
1 Commander

Also additionally if people feel the need of balance japanese RIFLEMEN could carry one extra grenade, since they have to rely more on booby traps and suicide attacks. Or just grenade spamming, which seems fine on their side.

Any thoughts?

I agree with your proposal...i think the TL and SL`s should NOT have SMGs.. Too many people take these slots for the weapon versus what they should be doing to help the team... Nothing worse than having a team leader trying to do the assault troops job.....

Upvote 0
I seem to repeat myself but Classic solves all these problems and gives a more authentic loadout and overall battlefield experience. Plus it keeps the game fair as there are no avatar "stat cheats blessed by TWI".

I can do nothing but laugh when playing on a "Realism" server with Killcam and sidearms for riflemen etc.
To me Action mode is Quake, Realism mode is COD (from part 2 on) and Classic is RO (tactical/authentic Realism).

And if you find Classic speed to low then vote on the poll....

Upvote 0
I agree with your proposal...i think the TL and SL`s should NOT have SMGs.. Too many people take these slots for the weapon versus what they should be doing to help the team... Nothing worse than having a team leader trying to do the assault troops job.....

Again, Classic mode does this and on RS the American SL's have SMG's / rifle or Shotgun but the Japanese only bolts.
In RO all SL have bolts. I really like it and it is balanced. Play on the 40-1 Classic server. Best matches I ever had and a mature bunch of guys that are into teamplay.

Classic saves the day!

Upvote 0
Scandalous? You're joking, right? :mad::mad:

Americans have 3 flamers, 3 BARs (which is actually a Latin abbreviation for "Insanely accurate automatic firing death machine), Semi-Auto rifles and Tommy guns. Aside from the Type-100 SMG (or whatever it's called) and the MGs, all the Japs have in terms of main weapons are the Type-36 bolt action and the Type-99 ... BOLT ACTION. The increased number of SMGs allows the Japs to have a reliable (but inaccurate) way to counter the American weaponry without firing one bullet at a time.

I say keep things as they are.
/rant

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scandalous? You're joking, right? :mad::mad:

Americans have 3 flamers, 3 BARs (which is actually a Latin abbreviation for "Insanely accurate automatic firing death machine), Semi-Auto rifles and Tommy guns. Aside from the Type-100 SMG (or whatever it's called) and the MGs, all the Japs have in terms of main weapons are the Type-36 bolt action and the Type-99 ... BOLT ACTION. The increased number of SMGs allows the Japs to have a reliable (but inaccurate) way to counter the American weaponry without firing one bullet at a time.

I say keep things as they are.
/rant
It's balanced fine in classic with less type 100s and flamers and stuff. Besides it is ridiculous that there are so many smgs, Tripwire Interactive made a great big deal about assymetric balancing and then gave the japanese a ridiculous, dare say, scandalous amount of smgs. Balance it another way because this is stupid. Maybe less m1919s and flamers and type 100s and make thompson (and maybe BAR) harder to use. Also increasing rifle recoil would make the guns feel more powerful and only really negatively affect the garand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The SMGs should be only for commanders, or maybe 1 per 30 Japanese.

On classic or realism modes.

To compare.. Japanese built 3.4 million type-38 rifles, 3.5 million type-99 rifles and only 24-27 thousand type 100 smg's ..

^I agree with this

To compensate, give the japs a second machine gunner kit. Like the Type 11 LMG.

Or

Upvote 0
Yes finally someone brings this up its been bothering me alot that I almost always have to face SMGs as the rifle class. There's just too many SMGs, MGs and Mortar/flamethrower positions that in a 32 player team only like 1/3 are using rifles.

If they could scale down on the number of non-rifle spots on both teams everything would be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If they remove all those type 100 smgs because there was only 20,000 of them built. They'll have to take the 30 cal off the Americans, as there was only 45,000 or so of that particular variant built :p

well yeah. Let the japs have the mg advantage. make an assault class with one or two spots dont give the commander the type 100, he's not supposed to be clearing trenches. mess around with making certain weapons more realistic to balance stuff further

Upvote 0
It's balanced fine in classic with less type 100s and flamers and stuff. Besides it is ridiculous that there are so many smgs, Tripwire Interactive made a great big deal about assymetric balancing and then gave the japanese a ridiculous, dare say, scandalous amount of smgs. Balance it another way because this is stupid. Maybe less m1919s and flamers and type 100s and make thompson (and maybe BAR) harder to use. Also increasing rifle recoil would make the guns feel more powerful and only really negatively affect the garand.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is ridiculous. The game is hardly "unbalanced" as you guys like to keep proclaiming. You play on the American team, get shot by some guys with SMGs and start whining. On Team Tojo's side, again, in Realism Mode the only thing we have that isn't bolt-action, a mortar or a LMG is the Type-100. And if every single player who can use one does, that's only 9 people (4 assault, 4 SLs and 1 TL). And as it is, it requires some finesse to use; God help you if you're trying to plug someone over 80m away.

On the Allies side, you have 3 M2-2 Flamethrowers (with a range of about 15-25m insta-kill), 3 M1918 BARs (the RS equivalent of the MkB42; fast firing and accurate as hell), 5 Tommy-Gun SMGs (4 SLs and 1 TL) and (if I am not mistaken) every rifleman can equip himself with a SEMI-AUTOMATIC M1 Garand rifle. You make it where only the TL can have a Type-100 (Seriously, whoever said that, the only reason I don't tell you exactly how I feel about that idea is because I don't the mods to be bothered - they're pretty cool, actually, and I like this forum so I will be nice.) or make it less accessible, I can assure you the already delicate balance will get completely destroyed and everybody playing Japanese will get decimated 9 times out of 10.

Also, this is a game - A GAME. Why are we complaining about "There were only this many guns produced, etc etc)? This isn't a military World War 2 simulation. GRANTED, a fair bit of historical accuracy needs to be taken, but a three words called "FUN" and "BALANCE" needs to come first and foremost. Why not complain about the locations (based off real battles) needing to be completely accurate to the real life location, even if it would be greatly one sided? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HISTORICAL ACCURACY, RIGHT GUISE?

*deep breath and exhale*
tl;dr This thread is bad and you should all feel bad. And if you're gonna state that a weapon should be removed due to lack of production models, then first get the MkB42 out of HOS. THEN you can talk about this one.
/thread :IS2:

Edit:
well yeah. Let the japs have the mg advantage. make an assault class with one or two spots dont give the commander the type 100, he's not supposed to be clearing trenches.
Okay, I'll meet you half-way and agree with removing the TL option for the Type-100. Otherwise, terrible ideas. Having an MG advantage won't change anything. LMGs only make you a sitting or laying target and Uncle Sam's Finest will plow through everyone like a Steamroller with Nitrous in a mall on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0