• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

exiting tanks

Peepintom234

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Chicago
Seriously, why is this even an issue? It should not be.

If tripwire is going to go to the greatest lengths to make this game more realistic while appealing to a broader crowd, they need to rethink some things.

If they aren't going to allow for an exit similar to RO1, then they should atleast add an in-tank animation of you climbing through and getting out through the turret hatch, OR even just make the commander able to exit.

Like seriously this is such a big issue, when it should just be a non-issue!

Here's the issue: when you leave your tank, what happens to it? What if you die? Does your tank just sit there forever? Does it spontaneously self-destruct? Does your team just have to make due with one less tank because its driver is off walking around?

If the tanks spawn in sitting around for anyone to get into, how is that realistic? Every soldier has the training necessary to operate a tank?

Upvote 0
Here's the issue: when you leave your tank, what happens to it? What if you die? Does your tank just sit there forever? Does it spontaneously self-destruct? Does your team just have to make due with one less tank because its driver is off walking around?

If the tanks spawn in sitting around for anyone to get into, how is that realistic? Every soldier has the training necessary to operate a tank?

The AI should be smart enough to either continue on, or to stay based on orders from you, but if another human should be in the tank, they should be able to take over.

Can't tank AI be disabled?

Upvote 0

If tripwire is going to go to the greatest lengths to make this game more realistic while appealing to a broader crowd, they need to rethink some things.

If they aren't going to allow for an exit similar to RO1, then they should atleast add an in-tank animation of you climbing through and getting out through the turret hatch, OR even just make the commander able to exit.

PPl used to rage at this in RO OSt ppl jumping in just before a finishing hit = no points for enemy that was about to kill you.

Upvote 0

I think TWI decided it wasn't worth all the gameplay issues + extra work to implement it.

TWI feels the point of a tanker is to be inside the tank. It was a bit silly in RO1 when you would have guys using the tank as an armored chariot to get into the cap zone, then abandon tank and run around with a pistol. That's a waste of a tank.

Plus there's the tank jumping issue. That could be fixed with either an animation or a delay. TWI said if they do exits, they'd put in an animation. And that's too much work at this point, and would probably eat up precious memory (these maps take up a HUGE amount of RAM). So that's not going to happen either.

Upvote 0
I think TWI decided it wasn't worth all the gameplay issues + extra work to implement it.

TWI feels the point of a tanker is to be inside the tank. It was a bit silly in RO1 when you would have guys using the tank as an armored chariot to get into the cap zone, then abandon tank and run around with a pistol. That's a waste of a tank.

Plus there's the tank jumping issue. That could be fixed with either an animation or a delay. TWI said if they do exits, they'd put in an animation. And that's too much work at this point, and would probably eat up precious memory (these maps take up a HUGE amount of RAM). So that's not going to happen either.

That does make sense, but I have a 5850 and 5870 with 8gb of RAM, I think I can handle it. This isn't the days of 16 bit gaming anymore, if you want to be a PC gamer you need to have a more than adequate system to run them on.

It is most certainly doable to do what I suggested, but if they don't thats on them and not me. It's just as much of a waste when your tank gets disabled and you have to kill yourself in order to keep killing if nobody finishes you off. Its just an excuse to give less meaning to tanking, just like the classes with their 2 little upgrades of 50 long *** levels. Some weapons don't even have upgrades either, what a great system.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
That does make sense, but I have a 5850 and 5870 with 8gb of RAM, I think I can handle it. This isn't the days of 16 bit gaming anymore, if you want to be a PC gamer you need to have a more than adequate system to run them on.

It is most certainly doable to do what I suggested, but if they don't thats on them and not me. It's just as much of a waste when your tank gets disabled and you have to kill yourself in order to keep killing if nobody finishes you off. Its just an excuse to give less meaning to tanking, just like the classes with their 2 little upgrades of 50 long *** levels. Some weapons don't even have upgrades either, what a great system.
In the airfield map, what would you do on foot with only a pistol against tanks?

Upvote 0
In the airfield map, what would you do on foot with only a pistol against tanks?

Gumrack sucks to be honest, I'm waiting for better maps from the community like arad or blackdayjuly

I can honestly say I only really appreciate RedOctoberFactory. The RO2 maps are nothing of what RO used to be. But with red october, I would be in an easily engageable distance from any enemy, so it would make alot of sense, if my tracks were disabled by someone that never finished me, that I could just get out and continue, while the tank has a predetermined scuttle timer, or something of that sort..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This just happens to be my one and only personal issue with the game. I love this game and I always have a blast when i play it but i just cannot see how not be able to exit a tank is beneficial to gameplay what-so-ever.

What will happen when we have more and better tanks?? how will it be decided who gets the better tanks?

Idk, but seriously, there are no other popular games out there that have unexitable tanks. In other games, if you try to bail out as the tank is about to be wrecked you will die from the explosion its as simple as that.

Upvote 0
Or just lock the thread from the beginning ant put a big: "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON" text in red?

Shouldn't this topic be merged with one of the many others on it? This way we can all skip writing the same responses we did those other times :p

So either way, the issue isn't brought to light, and is blown off?

Yeah sounds about right to me, what a great community this place has become.

Thanks for your input, senior members.

Upvote 0
PPl used to rage at this in RO OSt ppl jumping in just before a finishing hit = no points for enemy that was about to kill you.

Thats great, then they should give the player points for taking out the armor, and then extra for any human kills they get.

That's not so hard, and other games do it because of that.

Stop running around in circles, and just admit that it's a dumb issue.

Boy id be happy to get a developer to reply to this, so I can see for myself. Theres no reason that this should be an issue other than laziness, or lack of resources(ie tripwire getting in over their head) or just plain ignorance.

Red Orchestra boasted the best armor system in its time and IMO it still is a great system, but these little decisions on behalf of tripwire are really killing the fun and excitement of this game.

Tell me for yourself, what game has the better system as of now(excluding bugs) but just for the sake of features?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You and I can, but the minimum system requirements are XP + 2GB RAM. Some of these maps take up something like 1.7GB RAM.

I personally preferred the look of the game before "optimization" as there were more polys, and things looked (or maybe just felt) nicer. Memory constraints are probably the reason they had to take out lip-sync to the voices (remember the trailer?).

Upvote 0
During battle, no exiting of tank is more realistic than exiting of tank ! So sorry guy, but not exiting of tank is a realistic and good point of RO 2. We have a bigger fun feeling inside the panzer crew felling !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gumrack sucks to be honest, I'm waiting for better maps from the community like arad or blackdayjuly

I can honestly say I only really appreciate RedOctoberFactory. The RO2 maps are nothing of what RO used to be. But with red october, I would be in an easily engageable distance from any enemy, so it would make alot of sense, if my tracks were disabled by someone that never finished me, that I could just get out and continue, while the tank has a predetermined scuttle timer, or something of that sort..

Try and keep up.............lol

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76450

Arad2 tanks only,is running on my server: 109.70.149.161

I want tank exiting as well,but the subject has been discussed to death 6 months ago, and its about as dead as the bot discussions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It'd be funny if they did implement exiting tanks, but gave it the proper animation for it. The lengthy time of crawling through the tank, through hatches, and up/down from the tank, all the while exposed to enemy fire and unable to do anything. All so you can walk around with a pistol instead of operating your heavily-armed tank. You can't get out quick enough to deal with enemy infantry (Who would murder you while you're trying to get out), and nobody would take the minute-plus of wasted time to get out, creep forward, scout out an area, creep back, get back in, and them move out. Hell, you'd spend more time getting in and out of your tank than you would waiting for a respawn.

It'd be funny simply because of how little it would be used. Of course, that makes the time spent to animate it a complete waste of time for a feature that would have little to no use.

But then again, superficial things like this seem to be a huge deal to some people. It's like the people arguing that the aesthetic of fixing and removing a bayonet is absolutely needed and its lack kills the game. It's an absurd overstatement.

I also find it amusing that this topic inverts the comparisons to other games. On most topics, "CoD/BF did this" is considered an insult, a simple shorthand for "this is a bad idea." Then this topic comes up and suddenly it's a good thing. Personally, I like comparing the tank handling to actual tank sims where, unsurprisingly, they don't include the ability to get out of the tank... Because it's something that is not done. There's a reason real-world tankers have the phrase "death before dismount." Let the crunchies do the walking.

Upvote 0