• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pavlov's House map improvements--food for thought

Interesting that all three of those maps are won by Soviets more often than Germans on the Australian servers.
I claim sole credit for this. You guys would get nowhere without the motivation of COMMISSAR ROSS. :eek:

Actually, I'm only half joking - with a competent, communicative team and a commander who can call artillery without drooling all over himself, you can overcome bad level design fairly consistently. I have noticed, though, that tanks are either not used or not really given a chance to be their most effective in the Australian servers.

Really, the level design in all the current maps (Mamayev, once again, is an exception) is far too flat, far too open, and far too clean. They do not even begin to approach the level of destruction appropriate for Stalingrad, and nor do they feature any smoke, haze, lingering dust from collapsed buildings, etc. that could potentially make those big open spaces less murderous.

There's a pretty big leap betwen 'historical accuracy' where you've got the buildings in the right general locations, and real historical accuracy where the ground is torn up, debris is everywhere, dust is all up in everyone's eyes and communications trenches have been dug between buildings. You also need to keep in mind that you can't dig your own foxhole in the game, so craters, churned debris, pre-dug holes, etc. must be placed; not just modular sections of trench. The whole game positively reeks of being designed around the cover system which is generally not used all that much. It's simply not good practice.

Upvote 0
The map is heavily favored for the Russians, at the moment. Most of the fighting often ends up stuck in C or at Zab's.
This fight should be a desperate Russian defense. Move the German initial spawns closer to C. Take out the Russian tanks.
The map's objectives shouldn't be the give and take they are now. Instead have it an actual German attack, with caps zones that can't be recapped by the Russians. The fight should be an actual desperate defense of the last two Russian caps.
This rarely happens. If the Germans actually take all the objectives, it's only because the Russians are out of reinf, and it happens often in the last minute of the battle.

Upvote 0
I speak for myself, several of my friends, and it seems to be the prevailing opinion within the RO2 thread on SA as well. Sorry, how insensitive of me to dare criticise a feature of the game, I'll be sure not to next time. Even though every time I've see someone use the cover system, part of them is usually left poking out and the moment they look over or around it they get shot. Or they stick to a wall when they don't want to, and get shot as a result. It is easier and generally better to only use it for quick peeks around cover, because actually trying to fire while using it exposes a great deal more of your body than it needs to, is slow and easy for the enemy to predict, and moving while stuck to a wall is a lot slower than simply crouch-running along beside it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pavlov need to become an total offensive map for germans. Maybe in this case we will see hard defense by soviet team. Maybe few floors of Pavlov must be split and added as new objective. ( 2,3,4 objectives maximun)

Yeah, good idea. The focus for the battle in that area of Stalingrad was Pavlov's house itself.
The map in RO: OST seemed to capture that feeling pretty well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, good idea. The focus for the battle in that area of Stalingrad was Pavlov's house itself.
The map in RO: OST seemed to capture that feeling pretty well.

Remenber Pavlov solo mission in COD. Maybe the only good thing of the COD games. It was good way to use a Pavlov map.

Brutal defense by soviets. Brutal attacks by germans. Floors needed to be captured one by one. It's why maybe objectives will need to be added INSIDE PAVLOV house itself. Adding news objectives can help. Create respawn inside Pavlov and adding a radio for russian commander inside too can be good things. Panzer coming near Pavlov and shooting inside building. Pionners need to destroy more walls of floors of Pavlov house (and not ONLY 2 or 3 wooden doors). It would be good if panzers can shoot inside Pavlov house and destroy wall, windows, doors, roofs.

Ammo supply need to be added in sectors EASILY reachable inside Pavlov for germans and sectors HARDLY reachable inside Pavlov for russians for simulate the lack of ammo of russians and the outnumbering of germans soldiers. (People would be surely disagree and they will want the opposite : sectors EASILY reachable inside Pavlov for russians (more logic) and sectors HARDLY reachable inside Pavlov for germans but it will not create THE FEELING of lack of ammo and outnumbering by germans troops inside Pavlov house. The feeling who need to be is, for the russians, the FEELING OF BEING OUTNUMBERED by germans and lack of ammo and, for the germans, the FEELING OF OUTNUMBERING russians troops by germans soldiers and a lot of ammo.)

Pavlov map need theses 2 kind of feeling.

Another problem is Pavlov is grounded on january perimeter and zab house. Pavlov objectives should be more linked with Pavlov house. Pavlov must become a map grounded on Pavlov house.
Again : new objectives need to be added inside Pavlov building. Maybe ALL objectives should be inside this building...

Last edited:
Upvote 0