• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

On Splitting The Community

I said this from the very beginning. It's still happening. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll only have one version of RO2 loaded on my comp. If that...

Not only would a faithful RO2 kept the community together, I believe that it would have sparked a revolution in gaming, where player skill > computer aided play.

Are you talking about RO2 being faithful to RO1, or are you talking about Players being faithful to RO2?

If it's RO2 being Faithful to RO1, than keep in mind that there were two versions of RO before RO1(Ostfront), which Ostfront is the black sheep of the bunch imo.... and it was ostfront that wasn't faithful to RO.

If it's players being faithful to RO2, then I and everybody else who liked RO2 just how it was when it was launched and just wanted bug fixes & content were the truly faithful, as they were the ones who not only supported RO2 but supported TWI by continuing to play the game and fill servers this whole time, while the rest of those RO Classic guys refused to play and abandoned the game to go on their crusade to have the game completely revamped the way they wanted..... and to hell with everybody else.

And they got a game mode that suits their demands, but it's still not good enough, as they now want to demand that everybody else be forced to play what they want.

Faithful, my pucker..... as soon as it's something you didn't like or wasn't what you expected, rather than enjoying the game as it was and as TWI designed it to be, you guys all walked off, abandoned TWI & RO, and contributed to the venom in these forums and the drop in servers / player counts.... constantly demanding refunds or going on about how TW sold out.

Yeah, I uninstalled RO2 & the Beta a week or two ago and yes, I was PO'd over Action Mode taking over Relaxed Realism (as well as RO Classic taking up some of the available servers in my area when it goes live)..... but my uninstallation of RO2 had more to do with me over playing the game & simply getting bored of the limited content thus far..... how I haven't played RO2 since December and wanted to free up HD Space.

I uninstalled the Beta because I didn't want my bandwidth being taken up all the time for updates for a game mode I had no interest in playing.

I even said I lost support for TWI based on their decision of working on this Action Mode over getting content out into RO2.....

...... I was one of Tripwire's biggest supporters and defenders.... now I have lost any faith in their abilities due to them continually side-tracking the stuff that should have been in the game by now and constantly wandering off to start playing around with these odd game mode changes they keep thinking of......

^ I won't hide or try and back track things I have said, nor will I ignore my own actions....

I had lost faith in TW's abilities in keeping a focused direction in the game, and I am still miffed about the long waiting time for content to make it to the game..... but since then, I decided to take matters into my own hands and begin modeling some weapons of my own, so that some content will come faster. I shouldn't have to, and I shouldn't have to wait for the community to add to the game, but crap happens, and I can either complain and protest like the RO Classic guys and expect everything to be done for me, or do something.

What's my point?

I like stories.

Honestly I would hardly say that poll reflected everyone who supports RO Classic. I for one think it would be bad to replace all game styles with classic only. I'd rather not be pressed into a cookie cutter stereotype of ROClassic supporter because it simply isn't black and white as this quote makes it out to be. Some are loud and can sound self entitled sometimes but not everyone is like that. I think we all have a right to have an opinion but shoeboxing us all into one stereotypical category honestly feels a little insulting. Nothing really personal, just adding my input.

Well I suppose I should make my signature a disclaimer.... 98% of everything I post is only focused on those what I say applies to.... not everybody in Realism, RO Classic or Action/Relaxed Realim are all the same with the same views.

Those whom what I post about and what I say applies to know who they are. ;)

As I see it, people can play and enjoy whatever they please..... my server options might end up being extremely limited when Action & RO Classic come out, but I'll live with it and it's a price I'm willing to pay if others get what they want.

But the poll does show that there's at least 26 other people who think like the OP.... and what I say applies to those people.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
First it was the game-types. Now it's the game-modes. There shouldn't be a Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (Classic), it should be the only version.

Nobody wants crosshairs. Nobody wants 'relaxed' settings. TWI keeps trying to divide a community that ALREADY only has about 400 people on at any given point in the day.

Please explain what "dividing" the community looks like.
Last time I looked, only 64 players could play together at once anyways...

Reactions: MarioBava
Upvote 0
First it was the game-types. Now it's the game-modes. There shouldn't be a Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (Classic), it should be the only version.

Nobody wants crosshairs. Nobody wants 'relaxed' settings. TWI keeps trying to divide a community that ALREADY only has about 400 people on at any given point in the day.

i support you!

Upvote 0
Some like to play the classic. Some like to play relaxed. And some like to play realism. If you remove for instance classic, then those players may or may not play RO2. Some will say "bye bye RO2 without classic mode" and look elsewhere. Then your player base becomes smaller. The same will happen if you now remove relaxed or realism. Your player base will reduce. I don't believe the community will benefit by that. And don't forget that we have to split up over the servers anyway.

Upvote 0
With multiple modes, what will the communication between players be like?

Communication is important in RO gaminglive...Tripwire create an EXCELLENT communication : they talk, learn and show to Ro players so much thing about their games.
I love RO 2 and i love the way of communication of Tripwire. RO are greats games by their realism and also by their community.

But with the coming of ROclassic who is a game inside a game...

We will have a problem of communication with the Ro classic : players will not talk about the same experience of gaming...

The risk of Ro classic (who is created also but not only by Triwpire for give more players to Ro 2) is to kill RO 2 game paradoxaly. RO classic must exist but not kill RO 2 : because all RO players will give up the original edition of the game for RO classic. Why Tripwire didn't work directly in Ro 2 ?? Why created something who can slipt the RO gamers more than unit us ?? And if Ro classic failed ? we will see a new RO 2 classic classic ?? Tripwire need to keep safe the Ro gamers community.
RO 2 will disapear inside Ro classic, i am afraid of it...So old RO 1 players think they will come back only for Ro classic. I think thye should come back in RO 2 for RO 2 ! not for RO classic. RO 2 community had good way to be community even if htey had problems of communication (it s normal). But i am afraid with Ro classic Ro 2 way of community will change. RO 2 community will switch in RO classic community. (But maybe there are solutions?)

The only thing i know : it s we need to stay unit...Ok we are disagree, for something or another thing, but we need to stay unit, we need to keep the community safe.

I understand this point of view and i am ok with it. RO players will talk only about RO classic now...and nobody will talk about RO2 original. We must avoid to give up RO 2 original.

Sorry for bad english. i wanted only to talk with you, players of RO 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
many of those who still play realism, including me, would be pretty pissed. there are way more players playing the stock game. if classic was the ultimate mode of ro2, the beta servers would be full 24/7.
i think there will still be more players on realism servers compared to classic once it goes live.
action mode might bring back some players that already bought it and think the game wasn't accessible enough after launch.
no one can tell how many new players the free weekend will attract and which mode they will play most.
the forums only reflect a very small portion of the playerbase.

This is not entirely true.

I strongly believe that if Ro Classic was the stock mode for RO2, and the Realism and Relaxed Realism was in BETA stages at this very moment, the Classic Mode would be full 24/7. Its not entirely down to popularity. Fact is however, that litteraly hundreds of people on this board have screaming for Classic Mode in threads, general posts, and definely polls.

My bet is that Action Mode will fail horribly.

It is never going to appeal to even half of the players who bought the game and played it during its release. There was roughly 10,00 players in the beginning. Now it's

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If what we today call Ro Classic was the only mode for Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad during the release there would certainly be far less complaints, discussions, and devisions.

So why creating Ro classic? Why can't work INSIDE RO 2 original ?
Ro classic will create a game inside game and create division inside community. When players will talk we will not about the SAME game. RO classic is a thing who will strongly split community more than another thing. And it will not help and unit community.

See in forum of RO 2 : people want already to replace RO 2 by RO classic...

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78256

And don't forget that we have to split up over the servers anyway.

Same problem for patches. So long to wait 1 patch for RO 2 original. Then now Tripwire will become busy to work patches mainly to RO classic...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So why creating Ro classic? Why can't work INSIDE RO 2 original ?
Ro classic will create a game inside game and create division inside community. When players will talk we will not about the SAME game.

Because TWI didn't do that from the beginning and now they've been creating a whole new niche (even more niche) audience that prefer Relaxed realism/realism over Classic. So the two can't be mixed, because they're somehow the opposite of each other. All that can be done is to create another handfull of modes because the first one wasn't developed properly.

Upvote 0
I keep hearing about how a free weekend will bring more players to the game....stop the presses.

How do we get back those players who have already bought the game ?

Free weekend or not, there are a ton of people who bought the game and threw their hands up when they started playing, those are the people we need back.

They are all playing BF3 and to a lesser extent COD. Despite that RO2 is a better game, this has always been Canadian Football vs the Super Bowl.

Upvote 0
How do we get back those players who have already bought the game ?

RO 2 need the reason of return of old player inside RO2. Not Ro classic. Ro 2 must be the base of RO 2 players. (i talk inside Ro 2 not about mods it s antoehrs question)

Ro classic will change the done : Ro classic will become the main base of Ro 2.

See consequence in RO2 forum :

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=78256

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I strongly believe that if Ro Classic was the stock mode for RO2, and the Realism and Relaxed Realism was in BETA stages at this very moment, the Classic Mode would be full 24/7. Its not entirely down to popularity. Fact is however, that litteraly hundreds of people on this board have screaming for Classic Mode in threads, general posts, and definely polls.

if classic was the the only mode when the game was released i would play it and not think about it. one decent mode, good game, f*ck yeah!
but the situation is different.
there are several hundreds of people playing relaxed/realism at all times, on multiple full servers, while the classic beta fails to attract enough people to fill one server even during the main gaming hours.

where are those hundreds of people begging for the mode? hiding behind limited download capacities, while they could send each other usb sticks or dvds with the content to avoid downloading. (at 256kbs it takes me 4 hours to update the beta, i still do it and look forward to each patch. i actually test the mode, not only theorize about it in polls)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh good Lord, all the Drama :rolleyes:

As long as you can access the same servers running in different modes from the same game browser as it is now, the community will not be split.

A problem would arise if things were like MN and DH with the original Ostfront; different browsers viewing only those particular mods, or in this case, modes.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to download the beta client. What's a beta of a beta called? :p

I'm looking forward to when the game finally get patched and I will try Classic to see if it's good.

I could certainly live with Realism mode, if Anti-lag was fixed and spawning with enemy weapons was removed (at least as server setting).

I don't know if anything could actually split the community more, than the game itself has already done with its identity crisis. :)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to give TW credit for lisiting so good to the community to make a Classic mode.

I pre-orderd the game and played the beta but finally decided to cancel the pre-order because the game felt a bit to mainstream and nothing like RO1

But Classic mode just adds (or removes) almost everything I hated about RO2

Its true that this should have bin the only mode but if enough people play Classic mode I'm going to re-consider buying RO2:D

Upvote 0