• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

On Splitting The Community

Spacehogking

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
First it was the game-types. Now it's the game-modes. There shouldn't be a Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (Classic), it should be the only version.

Nobody wants crosshairs. Nobody wants 'relaxed' settings. TWI keeps trying to divide a community that ALREADY only has about 400 people on at any given point in the day.

Reactions: Nikita
many of those who still play realism, including me, would be pretty pissed. there are way more players playing the stock game. if classic was the ultimate mode of ro2, the beta servers would be full 24/7.
i think there will still be more players on realism servers compared to classic once it goes live.
action mode might bring back some players that already bought it and think the game wasn't accessible enough after launch.
no one can tell how many new players the free weekend will attract and which mode they will play most.
the forums only reflect a very small portion of the playerbase.

Upvote 0
I honestly doubt dividing the community is TWI's plan :rolleyes:

Whatever reason TWI have for bringing out the Relaxed realism is probably going to benefit die hard RO fans in the long run. Free weekend + extremely accessible game mode = more players, which then = more money and more staff. Then we'll be seeing new content flying out every which way. Even if no one sticks around long enough to play the relaxed realism mode, the true fans of the game wont leave because they'll be getting everything they want in the end.

Upvote 0
many of those who still play realism, including me, would be pretty pissed. there are way more players playing the stock game. if classic was the ultimate mode of ro2, the beta servers would be full 24/7.
i think there will still be more players on realism servers compared to classic once it goes live.
action mode might bring back some players that already bought it and think the game wasn't accessible enough after launch.
no one can tell how many new players the free weekend will attract and which mode they will play most.

I think people are just wary about downloading a beta. That's the reason I didn't try out Classic for so long, there are small amounts of people and you just want to wait for a polished version to be done.
Once Classic is officially rolled out and there are still people playing vanilla, both will have less.

Upvote 0
i think some realism players might migrate to classic, some idle players will return to give classic a chance and several newbs will enjoy action mode.
the free weekend will definitely bring in some fresh meat that will stick to the mode they like the best.
i will most likely be playing realism and some classic.
i'm still optimistic the player numbers will rise once the beta is final and even more after a fwe and a discount sale. if just a few of them stick around, at least twi have made some more cash to continue to support the players that are left, and the gamemodes that are successful.
the splitting might be a problem in regions with less players like australia, in europe it won't be a big issue i think/hope.

Upvote 0
First it was the game-types. Now it's the game-modes. There shouldn't be a Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (Classic), it should be the only version.

Nobody wants crosshairs. Nobody wants 'relaxed' settings. TWI keeps trying to divide a community that ALREADY only has about 400 people on at any given point in the day.

I remember to have seen posts before of people that asked for crosshairs and more relaxed settings.

Upvote 0
Whenever the free weekend / reintroduction happens : I'd like to see a quick explanation of the 3 modes to pick - shown on the server browser page - or before the server browser page somehow - that lets the new players pick clearly between the modes. RO1 Classic , Realism, and Action modes will be the 3 right?

I got on and played multi-player for weeks before I ever really understood most of the the differences in server modes.

Upvote 0
i think some realism players might migrate to classic, some idle players will return to give classic a chance and several newbs will enjoy action mode.
the free weekend will definitely bring in some fresh meat that will stick to the mode they like the best.
i will most likely be playing realism and some classic.
i'm still optimistic the player numbers will rise once the beta is final and even more after a fwe and a discount sale. if just a few of them stick around, at least twi have made some more cash to continue to support the players that are left, and the gamemodes that are successful.
the splitting might be a problem in regions with less players like australia, in europe it won't be a big issue i think/hope.

great points. Particularily the 'if people wanted classic so badly beta would be filled'. Good observation.

Upvote 0
great points. Particularily the 'if people wanted classic so badly beta would be filled'. Good observation.

not so. Firstly, whenever an update is made, the beta servers are always full for a short time following the update. Beta is for testing.
Secondly, there is only one server running it at the moment so anyone outside europe is out of luck, another reason for small numbers.

It will be interesting to see what happens when classic is released, which wil be more popular - classic or realism. It may actually be realism as they seem to be tweaking it in the direction of classic.

As for splitting the community, how? we will all be playing ro2, its merely a server choice. Following the OP's rationale, any small mutator shouldnt be made unless it universally adaopted cos it splits the community.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
not so. Firstly, whenever an update is made, the beta servers are always full for a short time following the update. Beta is for testing.
Secondly, there is only one server running it at the moment so anyone outside europe is out of luck, another reason for small numbers.

It will be interesting to see what happens when classic is released, which wil be more popular - classic or realism. It may actually be realism as they seem to be tweaking it in the direction of classic.

As for splitting the community, how? we will all be playing ro2, its merely a server choice. Following the OP's rationale, any small mutator shouldnt be made unless it universally adaopted cos it splits the community.:rolleyes:

point taken about beta. I'm interested in seeing how much new interest there may be in the game with 3 new modes.
I totally agree about playing HOS and 'splitting the comm.' People will just be playing different modes. That's fine. More choices the better. I posted yesterday a business analysis on video game sales. In 2010, COD was the top seller. Shooter genres like RO account for 10% share in units sold, while shooter genre consoles are at 16%. The RO franchise is competing in a PC market that generates $70 million in its genre alone, annually. So, it'll be interesting to see how many people are playing the action mode, in particular, after some free weekends, marketing, etc.
This is how I essentially see their model:
Realism: geared to many of the current players, Classic: geared to RO, Action: geared for crossover

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tripwire try to solve RO 2 problems by Ro classic ? Maybe they need to solve problem of RO 2 by doing patch RO 2 only...Only 1 game for all...because community of Ro 2 will become a multicommunity...

We will talk about the same Ro 2...Confusion will add more confusion...
I wait patch...

Upvote 0
Tripwire try to solve RO 2 problems by Ro classic ? Maybe they need to solve problem of RO 2 by doing patch RO 2 only...Only 1 game for all...because community of Ro 2 will become a multicommunity...

We will talk about the same Ro 2...Confusion will add more confusion...
I wait patch...

This is actually a really interesting point. With multiple modes, what will the communication between players be like? Plus, how will people understand the different modes, in comparison to each other? Some people may start in action, and then 'graduate' to realism, and stop there. I hear in VOIP from time to time from new players how tough they think the realism mode is. The players of classic may only communicate with each other-- which they seem to do to some degree now, anyway.
So, good point here. Will classic be seen as 'the best', and action 'the worst'?

Upvote 0

i always find it amusing when people cry about splitting the community. The folks that whined until they got classic didnt mind splitting it as long as they were getting what they wanted...Now the shoe is on the other foot and they cant stand it.....I like classic, but i like realism better....I probably wont play action much but i did try it out. Im sure there will be some who like it....

Upvote 0
The problem with the OP is that it assumes the player count will remain constant. If we have an ice cream store and only sell vanilla, we might get only a few customers. When the store manager decides to sell chocolate and strawberry, the vanilla customers complain it will be two kinds of ice cream none of them want and a waste of time, and that they won't be selling as much vanilla. But after the change, the store has attracted chocolate and strawberry ice-cream loving customers, who also sometimes switch up and eat vanilla. With more variety comes more appeal, and with more appeal comes more players. With Realism, Classic, and Normal, we can increase our total player count. After the free weekend we should see more populated servers.

Right now this game is great if you can get on the one or two full servers. But this is really unacceptable. I'd rather play RO2 with crosshairs and CoD fanbois than RO2 without crosshairs and against Ivans all night.

Upvote 0
Calm down. If you played RO1 or KF in the early days you would know that this is how it goes. TW releases games WAY too early with bugs and lack of content. They then support them with free updates over time and they grow into something AWESOME.
Then there are free weekends and sales and the game gets much more popular.

Despite your nazi belief that everyone just wants one gamemode, having options is a good thing. Grouping those options into 3 gamemodes makes these options easy to manage. People have different desires. If they made this game a clone of RO1 with ONLY RO classic mode and no "Realistic" mode, I would stop playing.

You aren't the only player.

Upvote 0

I said this from the very beginning. It's still happening. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll only have one version of RO2 loaded on my comp. If that...

Not only would a faithful RO2 kept the community together, I believe that it would have sparked a revolution in gaming, where player skill > computer aided play.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
i always find it amusing when people cry about splitting the community. The folks that whined until they got classic didnt mind splitting it as long as they were getting what they wanted...Now the shoe is on the other foot and they cant stand it.....I like classic, but i like realism better....I probably wont play action much but i did try it out. Im sure there will be some who like it....

I always find it funny that people whine about people whining. You could argue that people thought that classic mode was a necessary evil, and action mode is not. Of course, that would be entirely subjective but no less true regardless.

It's only natural that people start worrying about fragmenting the player base when you have three game modes introduced at a time when the player numbers are low.

People complaining about changes is fast becoming a law of nature, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Inevitably someone will then come along and say something along the lines of: "But weren't you part of a loosely defined group of people complaining about change x, then you have no right to complain about change y."

It's all so exceedingly drab and predictable.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
many of those who still play realism, including me, would be pretty pissed.

As would I

there are way more players playing the stock game. if classic was the ultimate mode of ro2, the beta servers would be full 24/7.

Indeed.... the only real interest in RO Classic is by the small handfull of forum members in here who've harpped on about wanting it since September... and even fewer of those people are even bothering to get into the Beta to play it, so that just goes to show how popular it really is.

Agreed.... people will try it out, think it's neat and then realize what they've been missing in the Realism Game Mode and switch back....

Yup, and it's proven by how many are playing RO Classic in the Beta now compared to how many have been vocal in here about wanting RO Classic in the first place.

If there is only 400 players still playing RO2, then it seems perhaps 20 of those players are in the Beta playing RO Classic.

See, I can pull numbers out of my arse with the best of them. :cool:

Sure... people can use the argument/excuse that people have limited bandwidth and don't bother to download the Beta.... but the actual game hasn't been updated in months now, and thus, downloading the Beta wouldn't be any different than having the actual game updated and you play on that..... so that excuse is out the window.

Then you have the other argument that the Beta is just for testing, that's why people just pop in as soon as an update hits.... then they leave.

Funny.... before the game was officially released in September, people could not only test the Beta, but they could play and enjoy the game at the same time, which many did & treated it as if it was the actual game.

Now suddenly there's this rule that you can only "Test" for a short period of time and then have to leave??

You can't actually play the Beta for a few hours & enjoy it?

I doubt that..... it's more likely that those people haven't played the beta for a while because they lost interest or there's something that bugs them, then an update comes along, they pop in to see if it makes things enjoyable, it isn't, so they leave again until the next update.

..... So, good point here. Will classic be seen as 'the best', and action 'the worst'?

Perhaps by the RO Classic club, they may think that.... Being someone who supports both the original Relaxed Realism and the Current Realism Game modes, I'll probably think RO Classic is the worst, and Action 2nd Worst.

Then again, I couldn't care less what the RO Classic club thinks of me or the game modes I play.... if they want to isolate themselves from the rest of the community because they self-appoint themselves as the Uber 733t Gang of RO2, be my guest.... they can play with themselves all they want, so long as I don't have to hear them while I play Realism.

It should be more like "Action Mode" • "Realism Mode" • "RO Handicapped Mode" in order to reflect your character's in-game abilities.

And I don't mean Handicapped as a bad thing.... you're all Handicapable in my eyes :D

But in seriousness.... the only people isolating themselves from the rest of the community are the RO Classic guys, which is proven by this thread and other threads like this one:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78256

Whom all think they're somehow better than the rest of the RO players, that they think they should have their preferred game mode take over all of RO2 and have everybody be forced to play what they want.

Am I concerned about the community getting split?

In some ways I am, but only due to the limited servers I have in my area of the world I can play on..... if the majority of those servers decide to run RO Classic or Action Mode, then my selection of Realism Servers is reduced.... unless more servers become available in the future.

However, if I was really stuck between playing a server that runs RO Classic or Action Mode..... I'd more likely choose the Action Mode over RO Classic.

And it's not because I'm some CoD Kiddie.... I've played RO since the 2004 mod days..... if I truly liked the Ostfront Gameplay, why would I only have 69.2 hours in total game playing time for Ostfront, when I have 215.6 hours in total of RO2?

(And probably triple that in ROCA)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed.... the only real interest in RO Classic is by the small handfull of forum members in here who've harpped on about wanting it since September... and even fewer of those people are even bothering to get into the Beta to play it, so that just goes to show how popular it really is.

But in seriousness.... the only people isolating themselves from the rest of the community are the RO Classic guys, which is proven by this thread and other threads like this one:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78256[/URL]

Whom all think they're somehow better than the rest of the RO players, that they think they should have their preferred game mode take over all of RO2 and have everybody be forced to play what they want.

Honestly I would hardly say that poll reflected everyone who supports RO Classic. I for one think it would be bad to replace all game styles with classic only. I'd rather not be pressed into a cookie cutter stereotype of ROClassic supporter because it simply isn't black and white as this quote makes it out to be. Some are loud and can sound self entitled sometimes but not everyone is like that. I think we all have a right to have an opinion but shoeboxing us all into one stereotypical category honestly feels a little insulting. Nothing really personal, just adding my input.

Upvote 0