• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why can't I hear the backstabbers?

I get the complaint, but the OP's example is not a good one. Realistically speaking, I don't think an MG gunner is going to have especially good hearing. Especially if all you're talking about is footsteps.

Then lets put ourselfs in a situation of a sniper. Pavlovs house, in the B buiding as he tries to cover the top of the E building so svoiet infantry doesn't get mowed down instantly. As you observe in almost complete silence, SLASH!!
Ninja'd.

Upvote 0
I would like someone to record a minute or so of someone stood still whilst an enemy player runs around that player at varying distances and sometimes from behind sight blocking cover, and out of forward arc, so that I can hear these footsteps that some people say that they can hear. I would record one myself to demonstrate what isn't heard but there would be little point: just imagine the above staged scene being played out only being able to hear very feint clothing rustling from the guy on the move, no footfalls.

Who among the aurally blessed is prepared to show us deafened mooks what we’re missing? :)

(I've tried adjusting the audio channels and all of the other suggested tweaks over the months but nothing brings back the footfalls. I am using onboard sound tho, but that's never been a problem in any other FPS that I've played - even the cluggy monstrosity that is ArmAII. Haven't tried the beta.)

Upvote 0
The lack of surround sound is one of my biggest complaints with RO2....One can never really know where an enemy or teammate is.....MY footsteps are incredibly loud yet no one else makes noise ( except in the beginning of a map).

Odd that most every game out there these days can deliver true surround sound and have for many years.

RO2 offers "simulated stereo" at best.

Upvote 0
I was actually paying attention last night during a quiet spot on Pavlov's house in the square when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and there was a friendly coming up behind me. Granted he wasn't an enemy, but I did hear him when no firing was going on.

Oh, I actually do get surround sound with gunfire, voices etc...

Upvote 0
I was actually paying attention last night during a quiet spot on Pavlov's house in the square when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and there was a friendly coming up behind me. Granted he wasn't an enemy, but I did hear him when no firing was going on.
If footfalls are being cut because of network prioritization then I would argue that footfalls have absolutely the wrong priority. To have a modern FPS not play footfalls when it matters most, i.e., when the faecal matter is hitting the atmospheric circulator, is all but criminal IMHO.

Upvote 0
I still don't get why TWI dumped the sound engine that comes with UT3. It was great, it uses your sound card, great surround sound etc.

Maybe TWI felt that the number of people owning a soundcard is on the decline, and they went with a "generic" sound system 'to reach a bigger crowd'. Bleh!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still don't get why TWI dumped the sound engine that comes with UT3. It was great, it uses your sound card, great surround sound etc.

Maybe TWI felt that the number of people owning a soundcard is on the decline, and they went with a "generic" sound system 'to reach a bigger crowd'. Bleh!

Probably had more to do with server load. The game already overloads Intel's fastest Xeon server CPU's on a full 64 player server as it is. If the UE3 sound engine used more server side processing power than the alternative, that's my theory.

I have to agree that the sound in this game is the worst I've heard since before Half Life. I can't tell where anything is based on sound, and I always can in other games...

Upvote 0
Also, there is no Z in sound, it's a 2d plane. This means sounds from 5 floors up sound like they're right next to you, sounds coming from across the street may actually be from a sniper at the top of the building etc etc.

This is probably one of the most egregious flaws in audio at the moment. On a map like grain elevator where you have multiple floors on top of each other it can be almost impossible to tell where battles are going on and where you enemies are coming from.

although dropped footsteps and other sounds come a close 2nd, followed by general imbalance of sound volumes at 3rd and lack of space effecting sounds (i.e. gunshots louder indoors, more reverb outside etc).

Upvote 0
I'm using a logitech G930 headset. In other games it works quite well. Then I can tell if the sound comes from above, below or behind me. But with RO2 it's really hard to tell with that headset. I actually do hear the footsteps of the enemies, but it comes from almost all directions. But I think this is more a G930 issue rather than a RO2 issue.

Upvote 0
If footfalls are being cut because of network prioritization then I would argue that footfalls have absolutely the wrong priority. To have a modern FPS not play footfalls when it matters most, i.e., when the faecal matter is hitting the atmospheric circulator, is all but criminal IMHO.

On the other hand, if you've been shooting without any hearing protection, you'd be unlikely to hear something as quiet as footsteps after that, much less over the din of battle.

Upvote 0
On the other hand, if you've been shooting without any hearing protection, you'd be unlikely to hear something as quiet as footsteps after that, much less over the din of battle.
Flimsy justification for a naff sound engine. There is a world of difference between hard to hear footfalls due to gunfire and no footfalls at all, regardless of the local din. (And deafness from gunfire doesn't happen when you're outside. I've stood in amongst blokes having fun with a Sterling submachine gun and a variety of other handguns on an outdoor range for an afternoon without ear defenders - it's really not that bad. Gunfire indoors is another matter entirely!)

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Flimsy justification for a naff sound engine. There is a world of difference between hard to hear footfalls due to gunfire and no footfalls at all, regardless of the local din. (And deafness from gunfire doesn't happen when you're outside. I've stood in amongst blokes having fun with a Sterling submachine gun and a variety of other handguns on an outdoor range for an afternoon without ear defenders - it's really not that bad. Gunfire indoors is another matter entirely!)
Because you were standing behind the muzzle ;)

In the beta, I have heard footsteps. They are very quiet however. I've been in a bunker on Mamayev(sp?) and have been able to track the movement of an enemy soldier as he walked around in the snow above me. I knew which entrance he was going to enter from. I don't often remember to start up fraps, but I'll try to next time I play.

I'm running an old Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium and sound set to 128bits. I don't think I was hearing things.

Upvote 0
Because you were standing behind the muzzle ;)
Doesn't make much difference: the compression wave spreads out from the end of the muzzle in a roughly spherical shape with a baffle shadow created to the direct rear only because of the shooter's body. Make no mistake, close and unprotected proximity to sustained and repeated gunfire will eventually permanently damage your hearing, but you certainly won't be rendered deaf as a house post immediately (unless the weapon is discharged inches from your ear). Lying in the grass out of doors beside a dude rattling away was at times uncomfortable but bearable; it certainly wasn't deafening to the point of losing all sense of a presence behind me.

In the beta, I have heard footsteps. They are very quiet however.
I don't play the beta so this is good news and something to test when it goes live. :)

Upvote 0
I'm using a logitech G930 headset. In other games it works quite well. Then I can tell if the sound comes from above, below or behind me. But with RO2 it's really hard to tell with that headset. I actually do hear the footsteps of the enemies, but it comes from almost all directions. But I think this is more a G930 issue rather than a RO2 issue.
The issue is with RO2 itself, more specifically the audio API, XAudio, thats designed for consoles, not PC.

Check out this thread: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78700[/URL]

This is the main issue with audio in the game, a crappy audio engine. To fix these things the audio engine should be changed into OpenAL that is e.g. in ROOST and Unreal Tournament 3.

Upvote 0