• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can't prone here

mattlach

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Massachusetts
Is object interference something that the dev team is looking into?

I think all of us who regularly play the game have been there.

You dart across the clearing and finally reach cover. Hit your prone button during a hail of bullets only to instead of throwing yourself on the ground, you just stand there looking at the "can't prone here" message.

Of course, you get shot and die.

I think that in a real world situation, choosing between throwing yourself on that rock on the ground and taking bullets, the choice would be obvious.

Can the game be tweaked to be more forgiving about object interference like this?

Reactions: bmci-
It's probably my one and only gripe about the whole design of the game: taking fire and feverishly hitting that button only to have the: Can Not Prone Here message show up on the screen :)

Well, then you're lucky, because I have a LOT.
Not only do you get the "cant prone here" msg on uneven ground, you also get it in situations, where your normal reaction would be to just propel yourself a bit foward, e.g. when there's a wall behind you. "You can't lie down, there's a wall behind you!" the game tells you. And expects you to walk 2-3 paces in front and then lie down again.

Not regarding other gripes, like the totally botched tank implementation with radar robot gunners and all the other idioticly bungled crap.
After about 200 hours I have to say: As it is, this game stinks big time
And I gave it the benefit of the doubt for about 180 hours of gameplay.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Is object interference something that the dev team is looking into?

I think all of us who regularly play the game have been there.

You dart across the clearing and finally reach cover. Hit your prone button during a hail of bullets only to instead of throwing yourself on the ground, you just stand there looking at the "can't prone here" message.

Of course, you get shot and die.

I think that in a real world situation, choosing between throwing yourself on that rock on the ground and taking bullets, the choice would be obvious.

Can the game be tweaked to be more forgiving about object interference like this?

Any time you "Cant prone here", you should be made to "crouch" automatically. and receive the "can't prone here" message.
Am I right?

Upvote 0
Another thing is the limitation of movement of the mg, sometimes you can't aim any further while there is no legitimate restriction.

If I understand you and the changelog correctly, this one was addressed in a recent Beta patch. But I also know that MG pivot obstruction has to do with the whole player model, not just the gun, so sometimes it seems to you that you have plenty of room for the gun itself to pivot, but there may be an object out of your fov impeding the player model from turning the way it has to. This is especially true when prone or in rooms with tight furniture.

Upvote 0
It would be nice to see some fixes for this problem.

it would be nice if they fixed a whole host of these annoying little problems. unfortunately, they're too busy redoing the whole game to try and make a group happy. i hope that group is as big as they think and comes back when twi is done with classic. i'd like to see twi get back to work on gameplay issues and bugs, myself.

Upvote 0
As it is, it brings much more negative than positive into the game. Try crawling in mamayev trench systems, useless. And I'm not gonna even count how many times I've died because of my character being unable to get down behind a cover or unable to turn around to shoot.

Well, the trenches aren't that wide, so in real life, turning around to shoot probably wasn't that easy either :p

You don't need to crawl in them though. (except during artillery strikes) Most of the time crouching is sufficient.

Upvote 0
yes it starts to get really annoying ,the prone system doesn t work, too slow to turn around.and now we get stuck sometime can t move at all,:mad: so you need to stand up to unlock yourself ,if you lucky it works,too many variable to stop you to prone still ,but it is better than it used to be but still some work to do

Upvote 0
yes it starts to get really annoying ,the prone system doesn t work, too slow to turn around.and now we get stuck sometime can t move at all,:mad: so you need to stand up to unlock yourself ,if you lucky it works,too many variable to stop you to prone still ,but it is better than it used to be but still some work to do

I don't know bout too slow to turn around, and getting stuck... These things are to be expected.

Try laying down on your belly in a space that is only 3ft / 1m wide and see how fast you can turn around :p

I just would like if the system always made you go prone when you pushed the button, but adjusted your position a little so it made you go prone where you fit, rather than having to walk back and forth until you find a good position, while being shot at :p

Upvote 0
Well, the trenches aren't that wide, so in real life, turning around to shoot probably wasn't that easy either :p

You don't need to crawl in them though. (except during artillery strikes) Most of the time crouching is sufficient.
it's not just that, you can't get down, can't even crawl forward, can't "dive for cover" in trenches

Last edited:
Upvote 0