• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some suggestions for Firefight

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
Territory fan though I am, I have a few suggestions that I think might make Firefight more popular than it currently is.

Firstly, I think that instead of spawning people randomly with teammates, Firefight might consider featuring fixed spawn points in a manner similar to that in Territory. Currently, Firefight is simply chaos--at any minute, enemies might suddenly spawn in your rear. When respawning, you could end up literally appearing right in the middle of a burst of machine gun fire. Lines of battle are almost nonexistent.

In essense, it's extremely difficult just to make sense of Firefight, which I feel contributes to its lack of popularity. Having defined spawns would alleviate that. Spawn points would also create a little more immersion--the battle feels more like a firefight when you know what general direction to move in. It would also allow fixed machine guns to be more useful, perhaps making them worth introducing to Firefight maps.

Secondly, Firefight could benefit from a longer time limit. I understand that the whole idea behind Firefight is that it's faster-paced, but having a longer time limit makes matches more likely to actually reach the "kills win condition," adding tension and suspense once the kill counters start nearing the decisive number for both teams...

Just food for thought. Chime in with any other ideas!

Settling for fixed spawns will mean people will "learn" a map and a great element of the tension and surprise of FF will be gone.

I would suggest the spawns automatically spawn you the furtherst distance possible from enemies, behind the biggest cluster of friendlies. That way lines of battle will develop, while maintaining the fluid nature of the game type.

I've said it before, I'll reiterate: FF needs bigger maps.

Upvote 0
The spawns in FF can be pretty frustrating, but if your team stays together and focuses on defending a decided upon objective, for the most part you'll spawn in safety.

Essentially, a team needs to make it's own "fixed" spawn. When you play RO2's version of TDM like a different games version of TDM, it doesn't work well.

Next time you play FF, tell your team "Hey, let's stay close to the ____!" and treat it as an objective, the experience may be considerably different for you.

Upvote 0
The spawns in FF can be pretty frustrating, but if your team stays together and focuses on defending a decided upon objective, for the most part you'll spawn in safety.

Essentially, a team needs to make it's own "fixed" spawn. When you play RO2's version of TDM like a different games version of TDM, it doesn't work well.

Next time you play FF, tell your team "Hey, let's stay close to the ____!" and treat it as an objective, the experience may be considerably different for you.

The problem is that it doesn't exactly work that way. You spawn on any friendly who is not in immediate combat. Once, I was manning a machine gun at the top of the conveyor tower, and all of a sudden teammates began spawning on me--on the top floor of the tower. As you can't predict who teammates will spawn on, it's difficult to designate any one area as a spawn point. Often, someone trying to go wide left or right alone will suddenly and involuntarily end up as a spawn point.

Upvote 0