• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hide character's name?

R3bel

Sep 15, 2011
My proposition is to get rid of the soldier's name which is displayed over the head constantly, and display it only when the player pushes a button (this command could be linked to "Tactial view" button).

This is to increase the authenticity of the game, by reducing the unnecessary HUD.

Until this happens... does anyone know how to delete the names manually? Through tweaking the ini files maybe?

Reactions: Nylle
My proposition is to get rid of the soldier's name which is displayed over the head constantly, and display it only when the player pushes a button (this command could be linked to "Tactial view" button).

This is to increase the authenticity of the game, by reducing the unnecessary HUD.

Until this happens... does anyone know how to delete the names manually? Through tweaking the ini files maybe?

Not sure if there are client side settings for this. Maybe "showhud" in the console? There are server side settings for this though. It depends on the realism setting on the particular server and how the admins have chosen to set it up.

Upvote 0
I like how they do it in Source engine games, where the name of the person you look at comes up in the HUD small and in a corner. I think this would fit well in the tactical view.
Yeah, the Source method would be perfect. It's a little backwards. This kind of behavior is a little jarring in the general fast pace of most Source games where always-on floating would often be more useful, but it would fit perfectly in RO.

...and bump the range up, while we're at it. When I'm trying to ID someone, I shouldn't have to get close enough to grope them before I can tell if they're my buddy/squaddie/etc.

Upvote 0