• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression Style (With Poll)

Suppression Style (With Poll)

• Current RO2 Suppression

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Exaggerated RO2 Suppression

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Darkest Hour Suppression

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Project Reality Suppression

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
I'm quite happy with RO2's supression. It's not massivly jerking your aim about but it still lets you know you're suppressed with the Heavy breathing, wobbly aim (because of the heavy breathing) and the desaturated screen with the tunnel-vission effect of bluring the edges.

Do you know the purpose of suppression?

It's to stop the person being suppressed from effectively returning fire. That's not what RO2 suppression does, it just makes your screen black and white. When you're suppressed, you shouldn't be able to shoot back.

Darkest Hour Suppression Effect - YouTube

PR:BF2 Mod v0.75 - Suppression Effects - YouTube

Personally I think somewhere between DH and PR would work. PR is the most realistic because it actually pins you down and stops you from returning fire altogether.

Upvote 0
I really have to say, I don't understand the preference for DH's suppression. The most powerful aspect of DH's suppression was that it disturbed your aim. RO2 does that. The flinch is the most important part, and both games have it. Frankly, the only main difference between the two effects is that DH blurs your screen, while RO2 desaturates it. Add in the fact that RO2's suppression accounts for far more factors, and I think it's by far the more modern system. I think it works fine as is--there is still a bug where the suppression meter won't decrease under some situations, but other than that, it's great.

Upvote 0
Do you know the purpose of suppression?

It's to stop the person being suppressed from effectively returning fire. That's not what RO2 suppression does, it just makes your screen black and white. When you're suppressed, you shouldn't be able to shoot back.

So, let's make all suppressed people drop their guns instantly. Can't shoot back then!

I'm being blatently bitchy because you failed to read my post properly, where I stated exactly what the RO2 supression system does and it does not "just make your screen black and white".

Upvote 0
I would be perferctly happy if the only suppression effect would either be the loud crack from supersonic bullets whizzing by and an impact ditto.
Anyone stupid enough to ignore those obvious indications that they are being fired upon and who don't seek cover will then be 'suppressed' - permanently as it should be.

Upvote 0
Wow--just watched the Project Reality suppression video and that is WAY over the top.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of suppression isn't to completely PREVENT someone from returning fire, but to make returning fire a REALLY BAD IDEA. Suppression should make it difficult to return fire EFFECTIVELY. You can shoot in their general direction, but you will find it far more difficult to aim accurately enough to get a hit. At the same time, the person suppressing you can take more careful aim and put a round through your helmet if you insist on sticking your head up.

That should be the goal of suppression, and I think that the game accomplishes that goal just fine in the current beta.

Physically PREVENTING someone from shooting back by absurd blurring of their vision is ridiculous. In close combat, for example, the first person to get off a round suddenly blinds his opponent... that's not realistic at all.

Reactions: Cwivey
Upvote 0
I really have to say, I don't understand the preference for DH's suppression. The most powerful aspect of DH's suppression was that it disturbed your aim. RO2 does that. The flinch is the most important part, and both games have it. Frankly, the only main difference between the two effects is that DH blurs your screen, while RO2 desaturates it. Add in the fact that RO2's suppression accounts for far more factors, and I think it's by far the more modern system. I think it works fine as is--there is still a bug where the suppression meter won't decrease under some situations, but other than that, it's great.

I look forward to RO2 suppression it turns my screen black and white making it alot easier to see who is shooting at me and return fire. If there is jerk in Vanilla Ro2 I don't notice it at all.

Upvote 0
Now you too can suppress any photograph!

Here is our volunteer soldier before suppression:
KHuhL.png

Now, let's suppress him using a standard MG34:
TC0eq.png

Wow! What a difference!

Reactions: Crusher and Cwivey
Upvote 0
the current suppression doesnt really suppress me it just turns my screen black n white and gives me an eyestrain.

i'm perfectly capible of continuing doing whatever it was that i was doing. I'd rather the screen shake slightly with each passing bullet at FULL suppression and possibly with some blurred edges to distort your prepheral vision.

but making the screen black and white does not make me incapible of fighting back. however the overal suppression system needs to be fixed. i dont understand why i get suppresed when my teammate standing 20ft away from me fires a shot or when arty is hitting the ground 15miles away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0