• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Removal of scope distortion effect

Short post for a small issue, but the scope lens distortion (bending of the image towards the margins of the scope) is both annoying and not actually a thing. If you want to do the whole "neat effects" thing, go with chromatic aberration, not this. No WWII rifle scope I have ever seen does anything even vaguely similar to this and my own PU scope has a flat, clear image all the way to the margins.

It's a small detail, but for those of us who play the marksman class a lot, it's an irritating small detail as it makes the 'tunnel vision' effect much worse than it ought to be.

Although on the other hand ocular shadow should be MUCH more prominent, any misalignment should cause a large ocular shadow taking up much of the scope. Proper ocular shadow would prevent the sniper from moving the scope around too much, as compared to the current which is hardly noticeable.
Ah the ocular shadow, I had already forgotten about the whole feature. Haven't ever seen it since as a sniper I only move the scope slowly.

Upvote 0
I used the G41/ZF41 for the first time in a while earlier and this distortion is pretty much the main reason it is so worthless.

Other than trying to impress people with a pretty run of the mill shader effect, I don't see what the point of the distortion is. No scope I have ever used has had such visible distortion, even really cheap crappy airsoft ones, and my own 1944 PU, as well as every other WWII scope I've seen, has a flat image without bending towards the margins. I probably wouldn't care so much if this effect didn't seriously impede visibility, affecting a sniper's ability to spot movement to the periphery of his vision (or in the case of the ZF41, to see anything at all).

Real PU scope

Real Hensoldt Dialytan 4x K98 scope

Real PEM scope

Ingame PEM scope, all scopes ingame have similar distortion and in the case of the ZF41 the small lens combines with this to make it useless.

Upvote 0
Are we playing the same game here? I can't comment on realism, but I have never had difficulty in using any of the scopes in this game. Are you guys constantly swivelling left and right or something?
Yes, actually. I use the rifle as much to spot targets as actually engage them and it makes it difficult to catch movement towards the margins of your vision when everything is warped. It also tends to trip my peripheral vision if I sweep the scope across a piece of debris which I know shouldn't move and then suddenly it distorts rather dramatically.

In the case of the ZF41, it goes even further still in that it renders an already fairly poor optic utterly worthless. The handful of times I have even bothered to use it, I couldn't see a damn thing because the entire sight picture is one giant bubble of distortion.

Upvote 0
Here's a picture taken through a friends original fully coated Zielvier scope; a really rare piece, it's hard to find many original scopes that haven't lost atleast part of their lense coating today! Notice the brightness of the optics, the coating works perfect!:

Attachments

• Zilevierreticle.jpg
    Zilevierreticle.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good posts. I don't believe you will get any response on this though. They probably put much effort in creating the distortion effect and removing it would imply that they got it wrong and admit it. I don't see that happening.
Seems like a fairly simple shader like you'd encounter in any game, I can't imagine it having taken much effort. I'd like to see it go, but I'm not really hopeful.

Upvote 0
I used the G41/ZF41 for the first time in a while earlier and this distortion is pretty much the main reason it is so worthless.

Other than trying to impress people with a pretty run of the mill shader effect, I don't see what the point of the distortion is. No scope I have ever used has had such visible distortion, even really cheap crappy airsoft ones, and my own 1944 PU, as well as every other WWII scope I've seen, has a flat image without bending towards the margins. I probably wouldn't care so much if this effect didn't seriously impede visibility, affecting a sniper's ability to spot movement to the periphery of his vision (or in the case of the ZF41, to see anything at all).

Real PU scope

Real Hensoldt Dialytan 4x K98 scope

Real PEM scope

Ingame PEM scope, all scopes ingame have similar distortion and in the case of the ZF41 the small lens combines with this to make it useless.

Very old post I know, but I have to correct you here as the third picture infact is of the view through an original German ZF39 scope, not a PEM.

Here's the view through an original 1938 PEM scope:
3378119183_1aa8f8e1b6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0