• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please add time of day randomness to maps! (Or at least rain/storms!)

Frell

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2011
THIS SUGGESTION IS NOT DYNAMIC READ BELOW

To clarify to everyone:

I do not mean the maps progressively going from morning-night with a chance of rain DURING gameplay. I simply mean that everytime there is a map change a time of day is randomly generated (such as 7:00am or 5pm) and the map of that time category is launched and it remains like that until the map changes again. Same goes for rain or storms.

5% chance of thunder and no rain
5% chance of a light drizzle
5% chance of downpour
5% chance of thunder lightning and downpour
5% overcast (barely any shadows and grey sky, easy)

There, 6 total (including clear) different weather variants by simply changing shadows, rain density, and thunder sounds and a blueish white flash for lightning :D

Actually rain could go on and off throughout the match with little performance hit but it doesnt matter to me :)

which leaves 75% chance of clear sky + whatever time was chosen

Ill be converting more ro2 map screenshots into a rainy mood also to get a feel for some maps.

Feel free to disable rain on snowy maps because doing snow is probably too much to ask for and doesn't bother me or feel as "warry" as rain would.

OF COURSE I DO NOT MEAN DO 24 DIFFERENT MAP VARIANTS FOR EACH HOUR

morning
noon
evening
midnight

with weather effects will be absolutely perfect. The maps will have to be baked to that time setting but believe me the effect will be well worth it :)

Sorry I have to post in color but im trying to get everyone on the same page :)

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING

03367-6.jpg

Its amazing how close to realistic RO2 is that we're actually suggesting interesting content rather than whining about the game anymore :D

Last edited:
You would also need a quad core 4.5 Ghz machine and a unreleased Nvidia 6 Kepler series video card (or 3 580's in SLI) to run it with anything near acceptable frame rate.

Download the UDK and run the Day/Night cycle demo. Then imagine gameplay and player load on top of that.

Whats wrong with pushing the requirements up for pc games? We need less consol ports... (i kid i kid, i know its unrealistic, but awesome anyways)

Upvote 0
You would also need a quad core 4.5 Ghz machine and a unreleased Nvidia 6 Kepler series video card (or 3 580's in SLI) to run it with anything near acceptable frame rate.

Download the UDK and run the Day/Night cycle demo. Then imagine gameplay and player load on top of that.

Dynamically changing day/night cycle might impact performance, but why if its just a different looking map with different lighting/effects determined before the map loads? Look at Mount & Blade cRPG mod - all they do is add different effects, light sources and skyboxes. Even the shadows look different in sun set, stretching further from the player than usual. It makes the maps stay fresh with different combinations, and allows for different tactical approaches depending on conditions. They even affect weapon variables in M&B..with rain you move a bit slower and projectiles are less accurate

I put a thread in suggestions area btw the other day:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76700http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=76700

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Why does everything always have to be done the hardest way or most intensive way with you guys? Why not create your own rain system that uses a minimal amount of resources? Dont use UDK's demos, because thats exactly what they are, demos. Theyre showing you the quality if you really push their engine, you don't have to do that quality. Not to mention theyre full blown dynamic with realtime everything. I don't mean have day/night cycles DURING GAMEPLAY. I mean randomly pick a time of day every time a match (not round) starts. And rain can be like a %15 chance too.

Tons of games have pushed out raining environments with ease, its all about how you approach it. Hell, I don't even like call of duty but in cod4 downpour was one of my favorite maps because it felt irky/eery when it was silent, and they pushed out rain at 60 fps on console... Gta 4, with those huge cities, have multiplayer rain on consoles. Now let me think of a UDK game with rain thats on consoles: Gears of war, normal rain AND razor rain (lol)

Think of the immersion! Itd be insane!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Who cares? We don't want to fight the same exact battle 10 million times. Having the same setting is more important. But this spices it up.

I do recall some of the guns in the game not being completely historically accurate either, but it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Take a look at STALKER - a game from 2005 - and the environmental effects both in the original game or as added by the Stalker Complete 2009 mod. Surely if an engine that old can handle environmental effects and long lines of sightwhile maintaining good performance on medium-level hardware, the more modern UE3 can do so too?

Even if you go the crude route of simply building additional versions of the existing maps with different lighting and weather cooked into them, it would at least provide an increase in variety.

Upvote 0

I think the O.P means a system where the effects are pre-cooked wiith some sort of shader overlay, not dynamically changing throughout the game.

I would like to note that I love the sound of rain.

Upvote 0
hello all

I was thinking of doing this with the shipped maps. for eg red October day or apartments at night. it would have to be an atmospheric time of day, not just the polar opposite.

no need for live day night cycles.

anyhoo, two questions.

one, is it permissable to edit existing maps and release em to pubic?

two, what's the minimum, I mean absolute minimum ram and temp space required?

my system adequately runs xsi/vue/Max etc but is def not a render farm.

rgds

lok

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not true at all yoshiro, look at the newest AA3 map with rain. Performance is better than most maps because of fog.

Upvote 0