• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please add time of day randomness to maps! (Or at least rain/storms!)

I'm not talking about rain. I'm talking about dynamic day/night cycle. The engine in its current state just can't do it well enough during actual gameplay.

When you say dynamic you mean changing during the map? I don't think people are suggesting real time changes like that

cRPG mod has an internal timer that determines which version of the map will load up. I don't know exactly how they do it but its just the same map with differences depending on the time of day it should be according to the game. They then have weather effects on top of that depending on what weather the world should have at that time (all servers are at the same time and weather)

To me this sounds like a nice project for a mod team if TWI don't want to do it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it possible that lighting and weather presets for each map could be made and set or randomized server-side? Instead of having a day-night cycle that changes fluidly, just have the the map start at noon in one instance for example, in the evening in the next and with rain the the time after that. The lightining and weather conditions need not change during each best-of-three run of any given map. You could have a command line like Lightingstate=X and Weatherstate=Y that could be defined for each map in the server settings. X could be from 0-3 (morning, noon, evening, night) and Y could be from 0-3 (Clear, foggy, rainy/snowy (depending on map) and stormy (wind sounds and lightning in the summer)). Apologies if this has been suggested somewhere else.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Edit: I guess Melipone suggested above :/ Cheers mate!

Upvote 0
Yes, but was it actually raining during the actual battle? If it wasn't, then it's not historically accurate. So there.

You MUST be kidding... Who cares if at the grain elevator it was raining or not? Remeber this is a game, so you should allow some "what if ...?" So, what if at Commissars we'd have a snow blizzard? Just now and then ;)

About day\night cycle, we play skirmishes, not whole campaigns, so presetted different weather conditions (on the same map) should be ok, and not too sys-resources eating.

I say, if randomness cannot be added, to add some presetted variations of the present map pack, so server can add them, and the whole pack should be about 1-2 gb for us to download. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about rain. I'm talking about dynamic day/night cycle. The engine in its current state just can't do it well enough during actual gameplay.

When a match runs at most half an hour, you don't need to run it dynamically throughout the game. Set it at the beginning and you're done. I doubt many people are going to complain that the sun doesn't move across the sky during a 30 minute match.

Upvote 0
When a match runs at most half an hour, you don't need to run it dynamically throughout the game. Set it at the beginning and you're done. I doubt many people are going to complain that the sun doesn't move across the sky during a 30 minute match.

You can't "set it in the beginning", if you mean round/map beginning. That would still be dynamic stuff, doesn't matter whether the shadows move or not.

Upvote 0
i'm not talking about rain. I'm talking about dynamic day/night cycle. The engine in its current state just can't do it well enough during actual gameplay.

To clarify to everyone:

I do not mean the maps progressively going from morning-night with a chance of rain DURING gameplay. I simply mean that everytime there is a map change a time of day is randomly generated (such as 7:00am or 5pm) and the map of that time category is launched and it remains like that until the map changes again. Same goes for rain or storms.

5% chance of thunder and no rain
5% chance of a light drizzle
5% chance of downpour
5% chance of thunder lightning and downpour
5% overcast (barely any shadows and grey sky, easy)

There, 6 total (including clear) different weather variants by simply changing shadows, rain density, and thunder sounds and a blueish white flash for lightning :D

Actually rain could go on and off throughout the match with little performance hit but it doesnt matter to me :)

which leaves 75% chance of clear sky + whatever time was chosen

Ill be converting more ro2 map screenshots into a rainy mood also to get a feel for some maps.

Feel free to disable rain on snowy maps because doing snow is probably too much to ask for and doesn't bother me or feel as "warry" as rain would.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You would also need a quad core 4.5 Ghz machine and a unreleased Nvidia 6 Kepler series video card (or 3 580's in SLI) to run it with anything near acceptable frame rate.

Download the UDK and run the Day/Night cycle demo. Then imagine gameplay and player load on top of that.

Battleground Europe figured it out, you should talk to them.

Also, does getting rid of player aids and flashing lights free any resources?

Upvote 0
To clarify to everyone:

I do not mean the maps progressively going from morning-night with a chance of rain DURING gameplay. I simply mean that everytime there is a map change a time of day is randomly generated (such as 7:00am or 5pm) and the map of that time category is launched and it remains like that until the map changes again. Same goes for rain or storms.

5% chance of downpour

Ill be converting more ro2 map screenshots into a rainy mood also to get a feel for some maps.

Feel free to disable rain on snowy maps because doing snow is probably too much to ask for and doesn't bother me or feel as "warry" as rain would.

Hmm... as far as I'm aware it didn't rain a whole lot in Stalingrad during the battle...

Upvote 0
To clarify to everyone:

5% chance of downpour

There, 6 total (including clear) different weather variants by simply changing shadows, rain density, and thunder sounds and a blueish white flash for lightning :D

Actually rain could go on and off throughout the match with little performance hit but it doesnt matter to me :)

Yes please! This would be perfect, though admittedly it would be more work than simply changing the lighting/skybox. You would need to place in new sound cues (rainfall etc), and create rain graphics and puddles, and if possible a "wet" texture for the models.

But yes, more weather variation is great, In a game that people play for hundreds of hours, anyway to switch up the feel of the maps, even if only a visual/sound difference, would be wonderful.

You can't "set it in the beginning", if you mean round/map beginning. That would still be dynamic stuff, doesn't matter whether the shadows move or not.
The only dynamic thing from this would be for the server to do a probability roll before switching maps. If say Spartanovka was selected, then it would basically roll a die and whatever came up, it would load that version of the map. It wouldn't have to be dynamically loaded once players join.

Upvote 0
They wouldn't have to make all wet models. Its quite simple, you just make a specular a bit more white and sharper (especially on troops) and boom you have wetness, and just darken some dirt textures and thats it. I don't really care for rain hit effects because the game is too immersive to pay attention to them (But would still be a nice touch if easy)

Upvote 0
well you'd basically have to cook several different version of the same map with different lighting and upon server change map, it would roll a dice to know which version to load.

Honestly it'd be a lot of work for something a bit trivial in my opinion. The map was made how the mapper decided ;)

What about several different maps with presetted day\night time and weather effects? For example, we could have:

Spartanovka - noon - rain
Spartanovka - Dusk - fog
Spartanovka - night - snow blizzard
etc

which would all be single maps, just inserted into map rotation by servers. No need for any random weather generator that way ;)

That's just for now, as a temporary solution for adding some map replay value while waiting for new maps. Random weather can actually alter some specific map, built with a specific weather effect in mind (for for example) But for the standard map (and i'd say many others) this would only be good.

Upvote 0
In my opinion a dynamic day/night and/or weather cycle is not neccesary. It's going to to make the frame rate worse and maybe it isn't worth it. It's also going to feel weird since this most likely wont be in real-time. With the short matches in RO2 you wont see much differences in the weather, and having a weather that changes every 5-10 minutes just doesn't feel right. But it would indeed be nice with some kind of ability to change the weather but I don't believe in a dynamic cycle at the moment.

Upvote 0
That's because any change at all requires a dynamic system. Unreal precomputes most of its lighting in the level editor and bakes the lighting into the level when saving. Changing the lighting at runtime, even as a one-shot thing at loading, would still require all the same system functionality as having it change continuously.

The only easy solution to variable lighting is to save different versions of the maps, with all the workload and disk space overhead that entails. It's not terribly practical.

Upvote 0