• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Coop Banzai Mode

While a banzai coop mode is a bit ridiculous for a game like RS (IMO), I will say that some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming is playing a survival mode in the game Vietcong. I don't remember the gamemode name or the map name, but you and up to 3 other friends started at the top of a fortified hill, and fended off waves of NPC Vietcong. The enemies didn't do bayonet charges, and actually used their weapons and grenades, but they weren't great shots. Each wave would get tougher and tougher, with more enemies.

Since I have such fond memories of that game and gamemode, adding something similar to RS wouldn't put me off at all. Historically accurate or not, very few people wouldn't enjoy fighting tooth and nail against an onslaught of banzai charges.

That being said, I would definitely rather have the devs working on making better/more multiplayer content and maps rather than something of this nature.

"Radio Relay"? - was cool as it seemed that the sneaky buggers would try probing different attack routes for a weakness - kept you running from sand bag bunker to crater and back again, trying to pick the VC off as they were funneled by the barbed wire.

Vietcong AI was fairly limited, but worked well on maps like that.

Upvote 0
Not a banzai attack, they're supposedly moving in methodically and in a smart fashion albeit in the way MoH and CoD games always represented assaults.
From what Ive read on actual accounts of banzai attacks they where not all just complete and total chaos. I mean Japanese would take overrun American machine guns and turn them on their owners for example. They'd take cover, they'd lob grenades. Biggest difference was where as most armies would fall back and retreat during an assault after taking so many casualties they just kept coming.

Upvote 0
Banzai charges really are over-exaggerated today. They weren't tactical counter-attacks at all, but a last ditch attempt to die without surrendering and hopefully take some enemies with you. Every man who participated in one knew full well that they were going out to die. One can point out the battle of the Tenaru in '42 as a counter example, but this was more the result of an individual colonel's incompetence in underestimating the size of the US landing force (A full frontal charge was still a viable option when an enemy is both much smaller and disorganized, but unfortunately for the Japanese, niether of these were true).

Upvote 0
Banzai charges really are over-exaggerated today. They weren't tactical counter-attacks at all, but a last ditch attempt to die without surrendering and hopefully take some enemies with you. Every man who participated in one knew full well that they were going out to die. One can point out the battle of the Tenaru in '42 as a counter example, but this was more the result of an individual colonel's incompetence in underestimating the size of the US landing force (A full frontal charge was still a viable option when an enemy is both much smaller and disorganized, but unfortunately for the Japanese, niether of these were true).
What about the frontal banzai counter attack that the Japanese preformed during the first night of the battle of Saipan for example? That was long after Guadalcanal and not a last ditch situation. I know there are other examples but it would take me a little time to research them.

Upvote 0
What about the frontal banzai counter attack that the Japanese preformed during the first night of the battle of Saipan for example? That was long after Guadalcanal and not a last ditch situation. I know there are other examples but it would take me a little time to research them.

If I remember correctly, that was just a counterattack, not a Banzai charge. All armies counter-attack. A Banzai charge implies charging with the intent of dieing, not with the capture of a strategic point.

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly, that was just a counterattack, not a Banzai charge. All armies counter-attack. A Banzai charge implies charging with the intent of dieing, not with the capture of a strategic point.

Banzai charges where used in China with the full intent of capturing strategic points. They where effective there because most Chinese units had low moral and lacked automatic weapons. Banzai charges where not simply used as a method of ritual suicide, they did have tactical use.

Reactions: Landrik
Upvote 0
Banzai charges where used in China with the full intent of capturing strategic points. They where effective there because most Chinese units had low moral and lacked automatic weapons. Banzai charges where not simply used as a method of ritual suicide, they did have tactical use.

They name it "banzai charge" because of what the Japanese yell before and when they charged. It was a common tactic for the Japanese to charge frontally for strategic purposes. Basically it was the only way of attack the Japanese trained for. However "banzai charge" is sometimes refereed as the Japanese's last-ditch effort to inflict damage on the enemy. As the pacific war progressed, these kind of charges were used less and less and sometimes forbidden by Japanese commanders. Towards the end of the war, these banzai charges were more for last-ditch efforts and symbolic purposes.

Upvote 0

Yes, but most Japanese counter attacks were frontal bayonet charges with "banzai" screaming soldiers. Similar picture as the "banzai charge" you are referring to.

Upvote 0
I tried to read a bit about this toppic and so far we maybe should consider making a difference about what is called Gyokusai and Banzia Charge. What most people call Banzai Charge (suicide charge) is basically a Gyokusai.

This is basically a attack without any hope of success or survival while a Banzai Charge is basically a storm assault with infantry in waves which not necessary had the "death before dishonor" goal.

Upvote 0
I tried to read a bit about this toppic and so far we maybe should consider making a difference about what is called Gyokusai and Banzia Charge. What most people call Banzai Charge (suicide charge) is basically a Gyokusai.

This is basically a attack without any hope of success or survival while a Banzai Charge is basically a storm assault with infantry in waves which not necessary had the "death before dishonor" goal.
I think that is an excellent way to differentiating it. What I think of when I mention a "Banzai charge" is referencing the often used Japanese tactic of frontal human wave type assaults and is what I meant in my OP, not just Gyokusai.

Upvote 0